UE2 - UT2kX Zoning

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Robmeister

Jan 13, 2011
Hello,
I have a question about Unrealed 2.0.
I wanna create a zone in my world, But if i created my zone my game is really messed up if i wanna play it.
In UnrealEd i can perfectly see the zone i created. I can see the difference in colors. But when i start the map my game will not play. i cant move my chararcter, and my game crashes all the time.

I use the sheet proporties and the special brush options.I really dont know what im doing wrong. Can someone help me, Or is this just a bug in the editor?
If soo is there a way to fix this?

Odedge

Keeper of Tutorials
May 26, 2009
www.odedge.com
I haven't mapped for UT2K3/4 in a while...

If you delete the zone portal sheets, does the crashing stop?

If yes, then are your portal sheets fitting perfectly in the open space they are trying to close? Are they intersecting through other brushes.

It's best to think of them as ways to "seal" smaller areas, rather than bigger ones.

Can you post a picture of the zones? Keep in mind that you can't take a big open map (like DM-Antalus) and place a big zone sheet in the middle of the map and expect it to help.

The zones will be useless and the engine has to take more resources to calculate the useless zones.

Robmeister

Jan 13, 2011
Hmmm, Well i Know what my problem is.
It doesnt have to do anything with zoning my map,I just cant start any maps fromout UnrealEd.If i do that my map is messed up.
So i have to save my map and start it from UT itself.
Is there a fix for it,?

Odedge

Keeper of Tutorials
May 26, 2009
www.odedge.com
So i have to save my map and start it from UT itself.
Is there a fix for it,?

If memory serves me well, you can't test your map directly from the editor in Ut2k3/4. Though it's been many years since I used it.

Only the newest editor (that comes with Unreal Engine 3 games) lets you run around the map while still in the editor.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Playtest from editor was always available. The difference in UE3 is that it actually launches the map within the editor, while UE1/2 launch a separate instance of the game.

Robmeister

Jan 13, 2011
If memory serves me well, you can't test your map directly from the editor in Ut2k3/4. Though it's been many years since I used it.

Only the newest editor (that comes with Unreal Engine 3 games) lets you run around the map while still in the editor.

I dont work with UtEd 3.0 so i dont know. I Knew it always worked within the editor thats for sure.So i really have no idea why it dont work any more..
But thats ok..I just have to save my map often.

Apr 11, 2006
Hello,
I have a question about Unrealed 2.0.
I wanna create a zone in my world, But if i created my zone my game is really messed up if i wanna play it.
In UnrealEd i can perfectly see the zone i created. I can see the difference in colors. But when i start the map my game will not play. i cant move my chararcter, and my game crashes all the time.

I use the sheet proporties and the special brush options.I really dont know what im doing wrong. Can someone help me, Or is this just a bug in the editor?
If soo is there a way to fix this?

You map has a problem in it other than the zone. Try selectively deleting elements from your map. Preferably you'll have an older version of the map that you know works, and you can go back to that and then look at the changes you made and revert a few until you figure out what the problem is.

I've had similar problems myself where maps were crashing when I attempted to play them and I've always seen it be something that you added to the map - Not some kind of corrupt map file or anything. I'm not saying that this is your problem, but I think a lot of the problems I've encountered like this have to do with adding things from specific packages, and then later removing/renaming those packages.

Odedge

Keeper of Tutorials
May 26, 2009
www.odedge.com
I have had 2 maps that had a corrupt actor as Wall of Suicide mentioned. While it was a pain to find one of the issues, the other I did systematically. After removing them, the maps worked fine.

They would crash once that actor was in the view of the camera.