zdoomGL

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dead clown

self-righteous ****0r
Nov 5, 2001
ireland
Visit site
i happened to er.... "find" retail copies of doom and doom2 last night. in the forest.

*cough*

anyhoo, i decided i may as well patch it up as i'd read the source code had been released some time ago and i was amazed to see just how much has been done to it. there's a huge amount of enhancements and mods, but the best combination i've found is zdoom with zdoomGL and m2model support. essentially it's the original game with proper 3D models for the enemies and weapons, dynamic lighting, decals, the ability to jump, look all the way up and down and tons of other features that make it look, if not cutting edge then at least as spanky as GLQuake. all the files are available at http://www.doomcenter.com/

well worth the download if you, like me, spent untold hours playing this as a kid.

Deathwing

Raucous Rodentia
Mar 15, 2000
Canada
I tried this out once. Didn't like it much really. The engine wasn't made for 3d hardware, and while lens flare effects are cool and stuff, it just doesn't do it for the engine.

Skorch

Banned
Feb 5, 2000
Dead Clown...do you remember the feeling you used to get while traversing a DOOM game?...what the hell was around the corner?...when it was not something you had seen before..."what the hell is that?!?!!?"....
...you can't get that back again...I built entire games for DOOM...we who posted were like a...brotherhood...but its over...never again will you play another FPS until the damn birds sing in the morning...you will never again feel the newness and creep around corners, waiting to be ambushed....

...let it die...mappers will never give u back that feeling...and I doubt the younkers will ever know it...

...so lay down the DOOM...it was nice, and we will never forget...but its gone...

Evil_Cope

For the Win, motherfather!
Aug 24, 2001
jeez, its just nostalgia you weirdo. lol

besides, doom had some cool design. why shouldnt we re-visit it?
do you never read a book again because you know the ending?

do you never listen to a song because its familiar?

do you never again look at an artwork because you know it already?

that would be a depressing way to live.

Ulukai

May 2, 2000
Doom is still possibly the best single player experience id have done.

Used to scare me silly when it first came out.

BangOut

...smells like groin.
Nov 4, 2001
Right behind you...
Originally posted by mister_cope
besides, doom had some cool design. why shouldnt we re-visit it?
do you never read a book again because you know the ending?

do you never listen to a song because its familiar?

do you never again look at an artwork because you know it already?

Because in this case... that would be like reading Dr. Suess and looking at paintings we did with our fingers when we were 5 and expecting to get the same enjoyment.

Ulukai

May 2, 2000
mmkay

The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house All that cold, cold, wet day. I sat there with Sally. We sat there, we two. And I said, "How I wish We had something to do!" Too wet to go out And too cold to play ball. So we sat in the house. We did nothing at all. So all we could do was to Sit! Sit! Sit! Sit! And we did not like it. Not one little bit.

You must all go here and read it for yourselves :)

dead clown

self-righteous ****0r
Nov 5, 2001
ireland
Visit site
skorch, i do remember what playing doom was like way back when, and i did enjoy it but i didn't like, carve the names of the enemies into my chest or anything. lighten the **** up.

besides, it's still pretty good fun to play, you forget how cool some of the maps and textures are.

Evil_Cope

For the Win, motherfather!
Aug 24, 2001
Re: mmkay

Originally posted by Ulukai

You must all go here and read it for yourselves :)
cathat.gif