1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Yurch's antics reach a new level!

Discussion in 'General Infiltration Discussion' started by yurch, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Farouk

Farouk Adept

Great, I found it. It doesn't have an impact on Infiltration's menu only on UT's one.
    But now I was able to find the place in the Infiltration.ini and UnrealTournament.ini.
    It's the MouseScale setting under [UTMenu.UTConsole]
    (If anybody is be interested)

2. c+k|nEVeRmOre

c+k|nEVeRmOre ~A.K.A. wesley_sniper~

Cool, thanks for the info :)

3. Mario Huana

Mario Huana New Member

Nice!...but...

I like what your trying to do with the mutator but it doesnt quite feel right IMO...

My idea is to make it so that (if possible with UT) to have the mouse sensitivity decrease the longer you aim whilst standing still (not walking or running), so that when you bring up the scope its real shakey but you settle down and keep the gun steady in effect so that you have to settle down to take a good shot

I think that would feel much more natural and might even improve gameplay (from an abuse of ACOGs point of view)

-Speak

4. LoTekK

LoTekK Peon

aww, man, i feel loooved... :D

browncow's right about the robar... when standing (although the box was a good point, even if it may be out of inf's current scope, coding-wise), especially with a scope, you're not going to be able to make ultra-fine adjustments IRL... heck, with a 4x scope on an m16 it's still somewhat tough when standing... at prone you're still able to make fine adjustments both IRL and with the mutie...

i've been using this mutie since about a week and a half ago (without the posture-dependant sensitivity), and it's been awesome for botmatches... i wouldn't mind trying it out on a server, either, since i never use scopes anyways... :D coz:
    real men use open sights
    :D

5. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

mutator DOES work online. Using it on a LAN myself, right now.
    Put serverpackages=ra in the list of your infiltration.ini

6. yurch

202 views and 12 downloads?!
    I'm dissapointed.

7. RAZZ

RAZZ aka FURY13RT

its not your fault. :)
    this close to a release, not everyones in a 'trying new stuff' mood, lol
    not to mention that making sniping more difficult isint exactly something people are lining up for.

maybe finding a way to add windage or bullet drop would strike their fancy better.

although, Im not sure if bullet drop affects things much at the ranges we're using it most.

8. Farouk

Farouk Adept

Well, but you've got to see that 202 views doesn't mean that 202 people viewed this thread. I have viewed this thread about 10 times I guess, each one is counted but of course I downloaded it only once.

9. yurch

it doesnt make sniping more difficult... honest...

And to put a bullet drop in(there already is a bugged one in) would require me to mess with the bullet-physics attributes of every weapon - im no gryphon, it aint gonna happen :hmm:

10. RAZZ

RAZZ aka FURY13RT

I dunno how it works, but:
    1. theres just two guns that you should/would really notice it on
    (how many folks try and sniper with a beretta.... err... scratch that thought :) )

2. its just a mod. if they 'dont like it', they can 'dont run it'
    so dont worry so much if it screws up other weapons behavior, so long as it aint permanent :p

11. yurch

Thats alot of work, and I wouldnt like it if i screwed up. :D
    the AP rounds of the five-seven&p90 have a fast an flat trajectiory, then becomes "odd" after range(low effective range)
    9mm parabolic is probobly more effective at range than that ammo...
    that aksmu 7.62x39 ammo... I have no idea how effective thats suppoesed to be...
    Not to mention the 40S&W rounds of the mp5.
    Shottys have huge drop - but the question of calculating 15 pellets at once without slowing anything down...
    but the thing is, is coding all of that over again nessesary?
    (i have beef with the ballistics anyway, look at my avatar. I may end up messin with that someday)

The point of this mutator is to get rid of the rapid target aquisition with scopes that plauges infiltration, especially the acog.
    Having a 4x scope in this mutator doesn't give you 4x accuracy.

12. St0rmcaller

St0rmcaller [AFA]'s unoffical godfather

The damn mutie kicks ass. It actually makes sniping fun for me. Yeah it needs some tweaking. But now I really can see in the future of sniping. And it is good.

13. -GAT-Rogue

-GAT-Rogue New Member

yeeeaaaaaa tekk! damn straight boyeeeeeeee ( see sig)
    btw had to reformat...be back in inf soon....*shivers from withdrawl*

14. yurch

Iron sights pimpage, yeah! My boyeez got my back now!

Any feedback relating to the actual workings of the mutty?
    Like crouch doesnt slow movement down enough.. ect.

BTW reducing recoil for prone and crouch is on my to-do list.
    Its harder to control recoil with the slower movement. oops.

15. JamesT

JamesT sniper apprentice

hey, yurch, your mutator is very good!

I have some comments:

1) INF 2.86 ( and maybe all later versions ) has built-in "different turn rate for standing, crouching, and prone" feature.

2) The true fact that influences long-range accurate aiming is a steady support. We care about positions as standing or crouching at the present time mainly because INF hasn't implemented "using something to support your rifle" yet. I hope in the future version of INF ( maybe 3.0 ), this can be simulated using similar concept from "weapon collision detection" feature that will be in 2.86. I will post some pictures later to show this.

3) Current INF soldiers aim their weapon in the same way as all First-Person-Shooting games -- weapons are fixed toward the front; soldiers turn their whole body to aim. This act in real life is mainly for CQB. That is because as far as true scale is concerned, most FPS are in fact CQB. However, IRL aiming in this way is not necessary. Especially for long-range aiming, a shooter can do very careful and slight movement with his hands to control the rifle and to make minute adjustment. I suggest this be simulated as following ( not a best idea, plz feedback ) :

I. In real life, optical aiming devices are mainly to help target acquisition. Accurate aiming is a skill.

II. Therefore, when a shooter sees through a scope to find his target, the view should be like what RA-mutator does.

III. When the shooter has found and identified his target, he starts to aim. He has to be very concentrated and dedicated. ( Press and hold mouse right button now )

IV. After he has totally controlled the rifle ( the breathing movement is steadied to the smallest degree ), the movement become really slow and careful ( program/mutator reduce the mouse sensitivity now thus the reticle can point well onto every pixel but it moves like that mouse sensitivity is set to 0.5 in UT! )

V. Shorten the period of time that a shooter can be this "concentrated and dedicated." ( Current breathing steady time in INF is so long that sniping is too easy )

---

As for range-finding and trajectory-compensation skills, I haven't come up with any good idea.

16. JamesT

JamesT sniper apprentice

I let the crate to support my SG-551 SWAT in DM-INF-MWH.

17. JamesT

JamesT sniper apprentice

I let the sandbags to support my RC50 in DM-INF-Azteca.

Note: The picture is edited to make it look more real. There is actually no shadow under the barrel in-game.

18. JamesT

JamesT sniper apprentice

In both pictures, I was standing.

19. yurch

:D
    well, thank you...
    Shortening the "aim" period is not something I thought of.
    And the only reason a hold-breath sensitvity modifier is because I couldn't quite find the right var :D

20. McMuffin

McMuffin The sh¡ttiest Infiltrator

I'm dumb...