1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Yurch, RA no longer works. Fix it now.

Discussion in 'General Infiltration Discussion' started by Keganator, Mar 10, 2002.

1. DallasStarsRule

DallasStarsRule making personal insults since 1999

And i'm quiting inf if you cant move and shoot. That's my worry about RA... that it will cross the line wherein its just no damn fun anymore because so many of you are so fanatical in your beliefs.

2. R-Force

R-Force (IF)

DallasStarsRule :

The bullet does go straight ahead, but relative to YOU the shooter. To everyone else, the bullet is straffing with you. You don't apply any force on the bullet (assuming you are not accelerating or decelerating), the bullet follow you (of course the walking/running motion might affect it).

Let me ask you this: If two cars are moving at 100 km/h, and you take a shot with a pistol from one car to the other, would the bullet go straight at it (minus the effect of wind), or completly miss the car because the bullet is moving straight ahead, but relative the point it was on the ground when you pulled the trigger?

3. Dr_Strangelove

Dr_Strangelove http://www.jeremycox.com

R-Force is correct, but it is so small it is not worth doing.

It is the same thing as in flight sims. You can't drop the bomb right as you are on top of the target, you drop it a few seconds before then. The bomb will continue forward at the same speed as the plane minus a little bit of wind resistance.

But, it does not matter who is correct because either way it is not worth doing.

4. R-Force

R-Force (IF)

Dr_Strangelove :

In the case of shooting or throwing a nade, it does have a significant effect (the nade don't move fast enough to negate the shooter's moves)...

5. bastardb

bastardb New Member

well i may use nades more then anyone... and i dont usualy throw it while moving anywhere but pretty much straight forward... so no that isnt worth doing either

but haha it DOES matter whoes right cause thats really funy that they forget how the most simple law of physics works :D

bah dallas you wouldnt quit inf youd just quit playing ra servers

i probably would too cause i like to jump out and let off a few random rounds too

6. R-Force

R-Force (IF)

"well i may use nades more then anyone... and i dont usualy throw it while moving anywhere but pretty much straight forward... so no that isnt worth doing either "

To thoses used to hipshot nades with the m203, it might make a world of a difference if their nade never reach the target...

7. bastardb

bastardb New Member

ooh the launched nades you mean

i thin kthe problem there is just that its not fully effected by the weapon movement... i bet it would be fine if it actualy moved as you ran

8. R-Force

R-Force (IF)

Not fully? Not at all you mean ;).

But you also have the ones throwing hand nades while running toward or away of the enemy, but i admit not that many do it, yet it might make them think twice before doing it (i bet no army would teach to throw nades on the move, a bit too risky)...

9. bastardb

bastardb New Member

haha also i dont think any army teachers there soldiers to stand in the open 3 meters from the blast.... MY god increase the damage from those bastards

10. R-Force

R-Force (IF)

The biggest problem with nades is in RL most of their killing power come from the sharpnels, but in INF it's the blast (wich goes through walls and other cover)... With the number of nades in use in the game, realistic nades would probably make the servers crash with the huge numbers of sharpnels flying around... Unless sharpnels were abstracted to random hitscan projectiles...

11. DeMachina

DeMachina gone

I haven't seen a nade in vanilla Inf for a while, but their is plenty of sharpnels with RealAim.

12. bastardb

bastardb New Member

ya what do you mean? whats wrong with ra shrap?

thers quite a bit.. and its sufficiently deadly if you ask me

13. R-Force

R-Force (IF)

There is even more in RL (muhahaha!)... But they are so small and fast that you would not see them before they strike something...

14. bastardb

bastardb New Member

hmm but if your in the open and get hit with them you die... you have to take cover... i dont see how thats not implementing lots effectively?

15. DallasStarsRule

DallasStarsRule making personal insults since 1999

R-Force

Your momentum vectoring sideways, will be insignificant compared to the forward momentum of the nade. The nade is going at least 30 times faster than you are. Throw in air resistance and I dont think momentum on launched nades is a big deal.

I'm rusty with my physics....so i may be wrong.

16. R-Force

R-Force (IF)

"Throw in air resistance and I dont think momentum on launched nades is a big deal."

The air resistance is negligible at walking/running speed ;). Just do it in game : shoot the nade while moving sideway, and stop when the nade reach the target. Look where you are now, assuming you did not jerk the mouse, look where your gun would put the nade from where you are : you have now a nice idea of how far your nade might have drifted (surely enough to miss at range).

17. DeMachina

DeMachina gone

Actually, if you are shooting a nade from hip (nadelauncher) at a target at 100m+, it is a big deal considering that if you hit 2 meter beside your target you dont kill him. But then again implementhing realistic momentum effect for your nade in UT... And you wouldn't be able to shoot a nade with any accuracy while sprinting anyway. Maybe with vehicule it could have a use but for now...

18. [PDX]Kalsun...MK

[PDX]Kalsun...MK God

Well, i've just gone through and read all the posts on this thread...and came to 3 conclusions:

1. People bitch alot about alotta' stuff

2. Some guy has a funny looking signature, and he thinks people are doing drugs.

3. Realism is all good...BUT, games are NOT real. They're not real because they are (*does the little moving two fingers up and down thing)..."Games". Thus...when you start straddling the line between the two, you have to be very careful not to cross into the realm of being just plain dumb. Cause' who wants to play a "game", that's no fun.

Alright, so ya. And just so ya'll know, I'm not saying that RA is bad or stupid or anything, I'm just saying that there is a point, to where it gets to be a little too much.

19. R-Force

R-Force (IF)

"hmm but if your in the open and get hit with them you die... you have to take cover... i dont see how thats not implementing lots effectively?"

In RL you might take 30 and survive (might be in horrible shape though) or take just one and die. It's not the number that matter, but where they hit. To ensure they will hit something, they put a heck of a lot of them in a nade... At close range, it's not one or two that you get (like in INF) but many : it's the multiple wounds that kill you (unlikely that a single one would kill).

20. R-Force

R-Force (IF)

"Alright, so ya. And just so ya'll know, I'm not saying that RA is bad or stupid or anything, I'm just saying that there is a point, to where it gets to be a little too much."

This game is meant to be realistic, and if it can teach a thing or two about how things work in RL, it's even better...