1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Yurch, RA no longer works. Fix it now.

Discussion in 'General Infiltration Discussion' started by Keganator, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Dracil

Dracil First Poster of new INF forums

My friend claims lemon + orange juice works. I personally think you need to eat 3 bulbs of garlic or get yourself some cold relief medication.

2. unixman

unixman [pthread] The Clan of One

On another note, why is AFA2 password protected? I just tried to get in a game, and the password prompt came up. WTF! I can't play on a non RA server!

3. bastardb

bastardb New Member

yes thats right inertia will effect the bullet

but like yurch said in the distances were talking about its completely negligable

if someone was straffing at 1 foot per second
    and shot a bullet at 1000 fps

i think what yurches done with incsreaded weapon effects while shoting and moving is more then sufficient

then at the ranges of 300 or so feet the bullet would only be over about 2 inches from where it was aimed

and i duno what speed rifles rounds actualy fly at... probably faster then 1000fps

4. bastardb

bastardb New Member

either umc or afa is practicing most likely

5. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

UMC is practicing there (AFA#2) at the moment.
    On a side note, if you don't properly "secure" weapons while firing, rounds will strike higher due to recoil affecting them before they leave the barrel. I have experienced this myself a few times. Perhaps it would be an interesting addition to the robar, but I doubt it.

6. Dr_Strangelove

Dr_Strangelove http://www.jeremycox.com

I did the math (probably wrong;)) and found that if your are strafing 5mph and shooting at 50yds, the bullet would drift ~5 inches (5.56 at 2500fps, muzzle velocity is 3000fps, no idea what the falloff is). Your aim is not going to be very good while strafing 5mph, so that is essentially nothing.

7. spm1138

spm1138 Irony Is

Strafing:
    If you wanna cut down on the strafe speed, fine. It works pretty good in the mods I have played where they've done that. I would still move whilst firing though. Why the hell wouldn't I? If I stand still, that mean my lag is only working AGAINST me and making it harder for me to hit the target (who is probably warping all over the place). I have to compensate for that whenever my ping hits 280+. It may not be realistic, but neither is lag.

Hip-shooting:
    Why not (point-blank, anyway)?

If those players you took out were really working together in any decent manner, you would be dead after taking down/wounding one of them at most.

I suppose I am not playing with your lag but I gotta say - everybody sticking right in each other's pockets and all moving at once is not neccesarily teamwork.

Leaning:
    I don't really have any trouble doing it. IMHO, it is too effective at times (thanks to the bugs with it).

I agree with you about the scoped auto-fire (I think). It does seem a bit clumsy spasming off the entire magazine on full-auto to get a kill with a /scope/.

If this is about the other night, try the server again when there are more AFA, GD and longtime RA players on.

You get all this mind-boggling behaviour cropping up as some sort of substitute for real teamwork when players who are not used to playing together are on the server (imho, anyway).

8. (:Tierra:)

(:Tierra:) ¿teh_huh¿

i just go with the flow of the game sheesh. yurch do whatever you want to RA :) ill still like it. games are meant to be fun anyways :p

9. R-Force

R-Force (IF)

The inertia might not have that much effects on rifle ballistic (unless you dance while shooting ;) ) but the effect should be noticeable while shooting nades or throwing them (that would have real effects on gameplay).

Also, the fact that the gun is not properly secured while we are moving should make shooting on the move quite useless (unless at point blank). I don't know why you are reluctant to remove shooting on the move Yurch, it is not done in RL, and in game everything is geared toward forcing us to stop to shoot, i don't see what would be missed to not be able to shoot on the move (if the game make us slow down while we shoot, no one would complain they can't shoot)...

10. Prowler

Prowler "Building Better Worlds"

1) AFA2 is open again

2) Nice sig tierra! LOL

3) I have no further comments.

11. (:Tierra:)

(:Tierra:) ¿teh_huh¿

what drugs you on ? :p

12. Dr. Beer

Dr. Beer go away and die

RA2 is fine the way it is.

The idea that I cannot take off running around a corner and just hold down a trigger with a gun at my hip and hit someone who is 6 meters away is ludicrous. If I MISSED I'd be a moron. If the people sitting there don't have the reaction time to take me out that's their loss. So called "run n' gun" is totally useless at more than 15-20 meters, which is about right (personal experience. I'm crazy enough to test this ****. with my buds AR15 shooting form the hip while at a near sprint sucks. you don't hit squat. however, if you shoot at a target, in this case a bale of hay about the size of a human, that is within 15 meters or so, you can easily hit it, at a full sprint).

RA2 is great. I don't think it really needs anymore tweaks.

13. Dr. Beer

Dr. Beer go away and die

R-Force have you taken physics? I'll put it into layman's terms.
    If you are moving sidways and fire, the bullet is going to go in the last direction it was pointed. Period. It is not going to move to the side any. Not at all. Same with a gun point up.

Don't bring intertia into this becuase it has absolutely NOTHING to do with it. Don't bring centrifugal force into it either because there is NO SUCH THING as centrifugal force. Your point was moot and totally invalid.

14. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

Strafing. I still think strafing is way to fast. I can move strafing exactly like I move forward. That isn't realistic.

15. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

meh, strafing speeds are already reduced. Shooting accuracy has a tendancy to go to **** while you do it too.

Most of this stuff, keg, I see in extremely close fighting. Perhaps its all those CQB maps erehwon has been puttin on the server ;)
    You can hardly blame anyone for sticking and moving in a close combat situation.

16. Puncher

Puncher AFA member

Just FYI firing from the hip is a military tactic. In the Bundeswehr to storm an area/foxhole, you run toward the place as fast as possible while firing from the hip to keep the enemy's head down. Then proceed to "mop up" after having arrived at said fox-hole/defensive location.

17. bastardb

bastardb New Member

beer you are wrong

there is inertia

but like i pointed out it will not be noticeable unless your firing at ranges over 1000feet AND straffing faster then 5 feet per second

which is fast....

18. Dr. Beer

Dr. Beer go away and die

bastard, i was referring to intertia having something to do with a bullet moving sideways or whatever RForce was trying to get at. You were correct, RForce was not.

19. R-Force

R-Force (IF)

Dr. Beer :

So, to you, a nade launched from a launcher should have no different trajectory shot from a still position or from a car in movement (say moving 50km/h and shooting a motionless target) ? Would a bullet shot from a fighter plane refuse to leave the jet if the plane move fast enough?

To put it in clearer terms, a bullet shot from your gun don't take a trajectory relative to the ground but relative to the gun you have in your hands (affected by gravity and air friction). If that gun (and you with it) move (relative to the ground), the bullet trajectory will follow your move, as the starting point is you, not a fixed point in the air...

Try it with a ball : throw it at a fixed target (say 10m away). Now throw the same ball while moving in any direction (while still being at 10m away when you do throw it), using the same force. You will notice that unless you try to lead the ball (taking into account your motion), it will always land off the target (or off the point you thought the ball would hit)...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2002
  20. DallasStarsRule

DallasStarsRule making personal insults since 1999

I have to agree with Beer, simply from a physics perspective.

You shoot a bullet it is 99.999% horizontal movement. The 0.001% sideways movement of the barrel does nothing to its momentum. Same with 40mm. The sideways motion of a strafer would be counteracted by air resistance anyway, so the projectile will follow a straight path.

And thats just assuming the bullet 'feels' the side of the barrel on it.

otherwise it is completely horizontal force on the ball

If you throw a ball off a moving car it will go straight, under no friction situations. In any case it wouldnt go WITH the thrower.