1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Your favorite CTF map (for any game)

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 2003/2004' started by WebSlinger, Jun 30, 2003.

1. WebSlinger

WebSlinger bNotNegative != False

What is your favorite CTF map for any game? If it's not a UT99/2003 map, maybe it should be.

Here is a link to my favorite... This is a HUGE quake 1 CTF map that played best without the grapple and with at LEAST 8 per side who knew how to communicate. This was a map for epic battles. I wish the screenshots had a layout overview, it was really something to play on. Lots of usable traps for the defenders to spring upon the attackers. Great lookout towers to warn the castle (and sniper nest) of incoming. Just a great map.

I guess the closest to this that I've seen in the U-World would be CTF-Conquest for UT99, but the castles in that were too small.

I would LOVE to see this for UT2003 (without xloc, if you can believe it)

link: http://www.threewave.com/quake1/ctf2m6.html

2. Shuriken

Shuriken Cordless Pixie

I'm torn.

UT1 - CTF-Conquest, by Plutonic.

[​IMG]

UT2k3 - CTF-DiffidenceREV2, by BluJay.

[​IMG]

Both very similar actually, in style at least (if you use your imagination in Conquest - UT1 obviously can't spell everything out for you in the way 2k3 can...)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2003
  3. The Warden

The Warden this is usually where youll find me

CTF-Lucuis for UT and UT2K3

4. Renegade Retard

Renegade Retard Defender of the newbie

CTF?!? I LOVED HallofGiants as well, but what I played was DM.

Man, I haven't played UT in a while. I've got flashes of maps running through my head, but I can't put names to any of them.

Maybe I'll load it up tonight! :D

5. DeadEyeNick

DeadEyeNick New Member

there's a lot of great ctf map for ut99, but my favorites by far should be projectX2 for really large games(8on8), conquest and baranco for 4on4.

The map that left the biggest impression in me however, is ctf-underdark. It's a great concept, with a pretty effective, even though unbalance layout.

6. Swedix

Swedix Retired from UT2004

I still think ctf-coret for UT99 is the best ctf-map.
    Imo, it has everything a good ctf-map should have.

7. WebSlinger

8. x3dfxTarget

x3dfxTarget New Member

Just d/l'ed the DiffRev map...really nice, wanna try that with lotsa players :)
    My favorite ctf maps are from the Q2 era, dont remember the names offhand, but there were some great maps:)

9. Rev.Whoopass

Rev.Whoopass Sperm Bot

For Quake it was DM4 and DM6

Quake 2 DM1,and DM7

for UT Lucius,Chasm,and Mcswartzly

honestly do not like any maps for ut2k3,I play them,but there are none yet that make me wiggle.

10. The Dopefish

The Dopefish Active Member

RealCTF's CivilWar. The UT conversion didn't do much justice, and just wasn't the same without the RCTF Beamer.

11. deadboy

deadboy monkey wrangler

UT's CTF-Warrior and CTF-AquamarinaX32. Words cannot adequately describe the qualities these maps have.

12. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

The two I would LOVE to see remakes of are

1) The Sketch Pad
    2) Crazy 8

But in general, any of the RealCTF maps were classics. Those were among my favorites of all time. Most of them have Quake origins.

The Lost Caverns
    Base10
    Naliwonderland
    NotSoForgottenMines
    StandOff
    McSwartzly
    Fortress
    UnderDwellers
    Symbolic Shrines
    Crazy8
    Dark Keep
    HoldOut
    Mayan Temple
    Stronghold
    Milk
    Rooke
    The Sketch Pad
    Telurium
    Resist

You'll find a lot of familiar maps (either in gameplay concept or name) in that list.

13. Mxtrmntr

Mxtrmntr (Formerly known as Mxtrmntr)

CTF-Raid, CTF-ProjectX2 for UT. Hmm, and some others that are quite close to those. It's not like I know many other games featuring CTF though :hmm:

14. Renegade Retard

Renegade Retard Defender of the newbie

Well, screw me!

I dusted off UT and loaded it up last night. What do you know, HallofGiants IS CTF!

I played UT CTF botmatches for about an hour last night. I couldn't believe how much I had forgotten about these maps. Many of them I was lost for a while, and took me a while to even remember how to get to some of the flags! It was a good time though. Playing it brought back that felling of "man, this game's a classic one of a kind" that UT2003 is missing, but I also noticed that there was quite a bit missing in UT that UT2003 offers. But enough of that old debate....:)

HallofGiants was very very fun. I'm not a big fan of low gravity, but this is the one map where I feel it is appropriate. It's definately in my top five. I think a remake of it for UT2003 could be potentially awesome.

15. WebSlinger

hal, that's my point... IMHO CTF map layouts and gameplay have not been improved upon since Quake1 Threewave CTF. And no one has managed to pull off playable asymmetrical maps since 3wave.

16. Swedix

Swedix Retired from UT2004

November :eek:

17. Ominous

Ominous Registered User

Both my favs are from UT1.

DiamondSword & Lucius were always great fun in my opinion.

18. DaBeatard

DaBeatard Mr.How

I like Warring Factions from JK2. I can't seem to find a screen of it though. Anyways, it probably wouldn't be good for ut because there are so many ways to fall off.

19. WebSlinger

...that people didn't complain about "unbalance" ;)

20. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

I have to say that I liked the plethora of asymetrical CTF maps that we got in UT. The only one that was totally unfair in the balance was Command and I even enjoyed that map.

Let's see.... asymetrical CTF layouts (not weapon placement... layouts) in UT/Bonus Packs

1) Command
    2) November
    3) Gauntlet
    4) Kosov
    5) Eternal Caves
    6) LavaGiant

Yep, that's a bunch of them. Most of them acceptably playable.

But you're right, TWCTF set the standard and may have the ultimate guidelines for good gameplay. Of course, there are other good maps that totally abandon that formula, but usually they are the more open, free-flowing CTF maps (or outdoor) that don't rely so heavily on corridor/room/corridors. Thus are exempt from the three in/three out rule.