1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

you noob!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dub, Feb 5, 2008.

1. dub

dub

Dunno about that actually. As T2A said you can play some of the older FPS and they will be a fair bit tougher than the recent ones.
    I really liked FarCry and never used that really dumb mod someone made that let you save when ever you wanted. The game was tougher than Crysis that's for sure and I probably played it more. Definitely got more of a rewarding feeling for beating FarCry than I did with beating Crysis.

I also play a lot of retro games and find them much harder or even impossible to complete compared to anything I've played recently.

2. O_DoGG

O_DoGG Le Boner

I may sound like an old fart here, but the last SP game I played which offered me some difficulty was Deux Ex.
    If you do not try not to lose too much ammo or life, almost every game I played since then is too easy : GTA series, HL series, Max Payne series, FarCry series, you name it.
    And I must stress that I'm not more than an average gamer.
    P.S. : with an (welcomed) exception : Stalker has its difficult moments.

3. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

:lol:

That's about the most worthless statement ever. :)

4. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

A lot of games are "easier" I suppose, but at the same time there are a lot games that are just plain ****ing hard. Captain Toilet cited some very obvious examples. Really, if you think that all games are getting easier go play Ninja Gaiden (Sigma on the PS3 is the hardest title as well as being the most recently released).

World of Warcraft starts out dirt easy, but as the player levels up, gains new abilities, and eventually progresses through obtaining gear, the challenges ramp up. Raids are exuberantly difficult, and equipment the game provides only can help to a degree.

Hell, look at Final Fantasy XII. Completely a singleplayer game, and an RPG nonetheless, and it caters to the hardcore with some extremely difficult side missions (a boss that takes an hour to kill under the best conditions for example).

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, which gets easier if you level enough, has a "Max Level 1 Hard Mode" that rivals Contra in terms of difficulty.

And an interesting case for difficult games are music-rhythm games like DDR and Guitar Hero. While having extremely simple gameplay premises, I think some of the more unbeatable encounters in gaming can come from music games ("Through the Fire and Flames" on expert on GH3 anyone?).

Sure there are a lot of easy games out there, but there are a lot of not-so-easy ones as well. Especially on hard mode :)

And to look at Unreal Tournament 3, it's easier to kill, and a lot harder to stay alive :)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  5. Jacks:Revenge

Jacks:Revenge ╠╣E╚╚O

If you play Crysis the way it is meant to be played it's a pretty lengthy experience.

6. MoogleRancha

MoogleRancha Grim and Frostbitten Moogle

Agreed. But difficult games hold my attention more than simple ones.

7. N1ghtmare

N1ghtmare Sweet Dreams

The only game I can remember being incredibly tough on hard levels was F-Zero X/GX. I think its because most gamers are starting to play at a much earlier age therefore don't appreciate th challenge. Hell the newest Mario is a blast to play but its so easy.

8. SleepyHe4d

SleepyHe4d fap fap fap

Maybe everyone is trying to equal Halo's mainstream success. D:

Lots of damn text in this thread. :(

9. DarkED

DarkED The Great Oppression

Yes, but that's only because the right-mouse 'aiming' mode is bugged for almost every weapon. STALKER is so difficult because it's almost impossible to hit anything.

10. Vers Vlees

Vers Vlees Oohhh a custom title

yeah I do think games get more easier but also shorter. I mean Half life 2 is a lot shorter then Half life 1 for example. (yeah I know XEN part sucks but I enjoyed it eat me)

But I blame the consoles and Cheat strike for this. Lets take the Rainbow Six series for example. Its a franchise that has been around here for quite some time. (rainbow six 1 1998? IIRC)The first 3 games and expacks were tactical shooters. It was hard but fun to play.
    Then they started to convert it to the consoles. (Alright Rainbow six 3 Raven Shield was well done for the Xbox) but then came Rainbow six Lockdown man that game sucked hardcore. I mean you could run circles around the enemy and still they would not hit you WTF. And then we got the Las Vegas rainbow six games. There is nothing left of the whole tactical shooter thing. They dumbed the series down for the console fanboys and we PC ppl get the ****ty ports.
    They could better renamed the rainbow six series to Counterstrike for consoles:rolleyes:

And then there is counterstrike. Remember Day of Defeat mod for Half life. When it went retail they removed the harder parts of the game. Now you had bull**** like auto reload, maps(not a bad thing but it also displayed grenades that kinda made it lame), helper dog, removed bleeding, mega player icons. Sure you can all turn them off but still its lame. They made game easier to please the cheat strike crowd. (Although I cant blame them for doing it because you gotta sell that game but still lame)

So yeah I do think games are getting easier. (atleast when it comes to first person shooters)
    Partially because we PC ppl seem to be getting more and more of the ****ty ports from the consoles.
    Another more disturbing thing is the simply or consolefication of the menu's for PC games. I mean WTF UT3 menu for example. God what a console like piece of **** is that. Sure maybe they wanted make it easier for the ppl with little to no PC knowledge.
    but now you have to **** around with the ini files to get settings which could and should be availible ingame menu so what easier now he:mad:
    I'm afraid the future wont bring anything better for us ah atleast the strategy games are still a PC only thing.

11. Plutonia_Experi

Plutonia_Experi New Member

Yes, nowaday games are most like an interactive film rather than a competition/challenge.

AvP :
    one of the best game ever: you cannot save during each mission, and the damage are realistic (if an alien comes near, you're done for).
    That makes an exiciting thrilling experience, but of course you must be willing to play the same map over and over again to learn how to play.

I'm not sure games are getting easier. Ok, there are some example like finishing HL2 at the hardest level requires less skill then finishing Duke Nukem 3D at the easiest level - but I'm not sure I can see a trend.

But one thing I hate in the new videogame: that weapons are so nerfed!
    Looks like you need 10, 20 or even more bullet against a humanoid ememy to take it down. That ruins all the experience because you don't feel the game realistic, but just as a point and click. You don't even fear to be shot anymore.

I've tries Crysis, and with all his nanodildos and plutonic butt-plug you need to keep your trigger pressed for a couple of hours against a normal human (point blank) to see him going down.
    Not to mantion HL2. Half Life 2 is gay.
    Ultra alien mega weapon called "impulse gun" and you need a cartridge of 30 to take down someone.
    I'm pretty sure I could build myself a crossbow or a sling capable of more damage.

I think only Soldier of Fortune has tried to make things a little more realistic.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  12. Plumb_Drumb

Plumb_Drumb yumb

I hardly even bother with modern games anymore.

Give me Guwange or Hotdog Storm anyday over the crap we get now.
    ________
    Park Royal Condos Pattaya

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  13. haslo

haslo Moar Pie!

That has nothing to do with old vs. new. In BF, you're dead from 2-3 shots (if the enemy actually aims to your head). In that Mario game you still have to hop onto most enemies just once. On the other hand, Turrican...

*drools*

Where was I? Oh, right. Turrican was partially so hard because you had to hit the end bosses dozens, if not hundreds, of times to kill them. For regular enemies you still usually needed multiple shots. It's really a game balance question, and definitely not one of old vs. new.

Writing this post actually made me wanna play Turrican again :D

14. dub

dub

Guwange is teh pwn.

If you want to play the same just different try Hurrican. (freeware)

15. haslo

haslo Moar Pie!

Ohmygosh, methinks you just made me dump UT3 for a couple of days!

16. Plumb_Drumb

Plumb_Drumb yumb

That stuff is the "I'll take your balls and wrap them around your head ten times before you can even find the button" own.

rediculously impossible to get through without dying multiple times.

(some of the best 2-d art ever, as well)
    ________
    Headshops

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  17. shadow_dragon

shadow_dragon is ironing his panties!

I think crysis is very much a "play in your on way" kinda game. For example. i'm only about halfway through myself because i hate alarms going off and have refused to kill my enemies with anything other than a headshot. Even if it takes fifteen minutes for me to find a safe spot to do it from.

SoF 1 was a genius game and... to be honest I only ever needed the first level for it was the most entertaining but I think you'll find that msot people consider a "realistic" 1-shot=kill mechanic to a game is more a "point-and-click" as you put, it than a game where you have to pound a round in.

Some might say an "insta-kill" mode is infact easymode?

These statements are just silly really. While i'm not a huge fan of the game i'm fairly certain it's not homosexual.

It was a great game and it was an even greater multiplayer, shame about it's sequel but your quite right about it. If it had any faults i believe it was the "infinite baddies" that always bugs me about single player games.

18. dub

dub

hehe that about sums it up I would say :)
    I can get to level 3 without dying, but after, as you mentioned, I use my scrotum as a turban.

I think I would probably like the game even if it didn't play well just because it looks so nice and has a fairly original setting for being a shoot 'em up.

19. Plutonia_Experi

Plutonia_Experi New Member

Problem is that when the enemies are weaklings you don't even bother not to be hit. You don't even care about covering, strategy, nothing. You just go there and point-click.

A game must give emotions, excitement. I can even say fear.
    You know AvP so you know what I'm talking about: moving so prudently, so slowly, trying to check every dark corner...and knowing that you can die any second, that a mistake will be payed.

What's the point in games like HL ? I'm in front of a marine, I shot him and he shoots me. He dies first because I have more heath. Than I find a medikit, heath restored.
    Repeat.

I have almost finished HF (almost means until XEN) using literally ONLY the crowbar. Just to prove my point that the crowbar is way too overpowered, and that HL offers you a great experience, but it misses the main point of a game: it's not a challenge.

Ergo, it's easy [I'm on topic eheh]

Well, look, Barney is more homosexual than the Village People.
    Also, he stays always with you (you cannot dismiss him), he's immortal, and he smiles at you even if you try to bust a cap on his head or to throw a grenade in his ass.

And why everybody (most of all male rebels) gets horny as soon as they see Gordon (how everybody knows him anyway?), and don't want to leave you alone?

This + nerfed guns + not being able to shot non-hostiles = gay.

Sorry? :confused:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  20. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

You mean like this? I haven't played but I heard this was a dumbed-down piece of crap too.

I don't necessarily blame other games and newbs for the shortness of games now. I blame the fact that as graphical complexity goes up, the time it takes to build levels takes exponentially longer. Compare the visuals and atmosphere of HL1 to HL2 -- there's a huge improvement in the level of detail. Obviously, it took a hell of a lot longer to put HL2 together because of that.

So, I'm guessing games are shorter simply because they're harder to make. The core code and ideas haven't really changed, but the level of detail put into the scenery around the core has changed a freaking ton.

But I do agree with you on Rainbow 6 and generally about making games easier. I played the hell out of Rogue Spear on my parents' old PC and it was great. Raven Shield was hard but for the wrong reasons -- mostly the terrible AI made it impossible for you to get anything done without your entire team dying. Then there's Las Vegas, which is like a GoW copycat with "realistic" weapons and enemies. A total bastardization of what used to be a cool series. :rolleyes:

I'd still play Rogue Spear but it doesn't work on newer computers, unfortunately. Even when setting the compatibility mode to Win98, the mouse input system is completely f**ked up and the game causes you to get stuck every ten feet when walking. :(