1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Yes, we've gone Commerical Folks

Discussion in 'General Infiltration Discussion' started by BrownyMan, Nov 24, 2000.

1. BrownyMan

BrownyMan Poet, Gentleman, Infiltrator?

I seems to me as of late plenty of so called "free" mods have been "going commerical" or selling their work to a publisher to be made into a hard copy game. As of Friday, November 24. Strike Force, Counter-Strike, and Assassination have signed their mod over to a publisher, while this isn't nessicarily a bad thing. It does make a mod "not free". My question is for Warren, since he is the team leader, but I'm sure he would consult the entire team if presented with a contract, but in any case, how would infiltration as a mod react to a commerical game contract. I know the team is very loyal to their public, but money, esspecially a large sum of money, does strange things to people. I, in a seriousness, wouldn't mind paying to play Infiltration, this is defininatly a commerical quality mod, better than any of the previous metioned. So how devoute is the team?

[​IMG]

2. I_ABuGa

I_ABuGa Vetran

I believe that a mod while in beta should be free. But upon exiting beta status or achieving commercial quality, the team should then consider if they want to keep it free or sell it to a publisher. Usually if the team releases their mod to a publisher, the parent game gets to be re-released and the mod gets better distribution(largely dependant on the mods success or the parent game's popularity) among the masses. Not only that but for once the team will get paid for their work. Additional updates would be available online - free.

3. Evil_Joe

Evil_Joe New Member

read that a little more closely about SF. They haven't gone commercial yet they are willing and actively seeking a commercial contract. The last paragraph even says if you are a publisher and are interested contact xtreme gaming. So don't be counting those chickens before they hatch. :) Anyways you guys should feel happy for these people if they go commercial. I mean why not pay money for the games we spend countless hours on. Hell, I spend more time playing ut mods then ut. And Tim Sweeny and Cliffy B. are the ones who got my money (to name a few from Epic anyways).

4. Mason

Mason Self appointed voice of reason

Hell, if Inf ever goes commercial, I would buy it! Especially if there were some single player missions or something(wishful thinking). If a mod gets THAT popular..and I hope Inf does..then the creators of that mod deserve a paycheck. I mean, c'mon, how many crap games have been released for us to buy with less than half the effort put into this "little 'ol mod"? ;)

5. Meshuggah

Meshuggah New Member

Well, I am sure even crap games take plenty of effort to make. Just misguided effort.

Now I would pay for INF, do to my respect and thankfullness to the team for providing something that I have sought for soo long, but never able to find.

Actually, when 2.8 came out, I was going to send them a 20 dollar check or something, but alas, I am a poor mo fo and My money goes to my drumset.

Which BTW, I cracked my 16 China Cymbal today...PISSED ME OFF!! The thing isn't even that old and I payed $160 bucks for it!

I hope for Zildjians sake, they replace it for me!

[​IMG]

6. perrin98

perrin98 New Member

I'd be willing to pay for INF, I think the team deserves some sort of cash reward for the work they put into this.

Lord Perrin

War comes down to he with pointiest stick

7. Shrap

Shrap Beaver

Publisher ???

What is the icon on the bottom left of the loading screen. The one with "Sentry Studios" on it ?? The publisher ? I don't understand what is Sentry Studios ...and the last time i tryed to visit their homepage, it wasn't available (under construction?)

8. Galaddin

Galaddin Forum Drifter

The Inf team calls themselves Sentry Studios :D

The only thing that is better than cheap is free :D

9. BizRodian

BizRodian New Member

Beta Free

Beta should be free, and I'd be happy to buy a full version.

BTW, what is the home page for Infiltration?

10. deathren

deathren Dusty ****er.

they used to be catylic conversions or sometihng..................

"Something about the battle Excites people's emotions."

-Lady Une, Gundam Wing

[​IMG]

11. Hannibal

Hannibal New Member

the change

Shifting away from being a free service would be a terrible decision at this stage in Infiltration's life. Right now it benefits from a message board buzzing with happy fans who have good suggestions. While the fans are not completely loyal to the mod, the broad variety of people this mod attracts definitely does something for it's image and brings fresh ideas into the game. I have learned this rule from experience: When you switch from a free game to a service people must pay to use, your user base whittles down to a few hard-core fans who expect(and deserve) a high-quality product. After the change, the people who run the game(or mod) often find that they have alienated the group of people who made the work worth doing. Even more critical for Infiltration, the mod would lose the fresh input that comes from people who are taking their first glance at the game.