1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Yes I've read the Manual. New question..I hope. (LONG)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by OmeneX, Nov 17, 2000.

1. OmeneX

OmeneX New Member

Below is a little background, the "actual" question is in Bold.

Ok..I'm new to the boards here, and before I present a question I went ahead a searched for the answer some 3 pages back. Up until v2.81 was no longer talked about. Pretty much all I noticed was a bunch of hardheads not reading the manual and asking the same question hundreds of times. I'm sure you know which question that is. And I applaud you guys for continuing to answer it over and over.

Anyhow, on to my background.

I have UT v436 and Infiltration 2.81(patched 2.8) plus the maps. Everything is installed correctly and the Mod does run. But I encountered 2 problems, one of which, I was able to solve.

My first problem was that after the initial splash screen, the maim menu was all whacked out. Meaning that One portion of the menu occupied a quarter of my lower left hand side of the screen, and another portion of the menu was located in the upper right hand quarter portion of my screen. The two other quarters of my monitor, in the North west and South east quarters were black.

As well I was unable to see my mouse, unless I wiggled it at extreme speeds. Then and only then would it flash up for a brief second. The only way I could navigate the menu in this whacked out format is by chance.

BTW..The menu select sounds still work, but the text letters displaying what you have selected is undechiperable.

I fixed this problem by doing as the manual suggested and changed my resolution settings under the ini(settings) file. I dropped them to 640x480, even though my normal viewing for other games as well as UT is 1024x768 32 bit. Some I do use at 800x600 depending on my FPS speed, but they all function normally as well. I hope this helps some ppl who might be experiencing the same problems.

Now, on to my current problem.

After all was said in done, as I stated above, when I restarted Infiltration I still could not see my mouse. Once again I can see it, if I move the mouse at extreme speeds, but still makes navigation a very difficult task. I usually have to follow by "sound" or by clicking randomly.

In a nutshell I cannot see my mouse cursor in Infiltration's main menu.

I did notice that another post here on these boards presented the same problem, but there was not a adequate response/answer. (Meaning there was no answer).

So that's my problem. I have no idea if the mouse would have worked on any previous versions of Infiltration or any previous combinations of UT patches. Since I am still reletively new, only having D/Led Inf just yesterday. I still have been able to get the MOD running at least.

Any ppl with similar problems, or help, or fixes, or anything etc..would be appreciated. Thx.

As of now, I'm going to try different combinations of resolutions, and see if there is a higher UT patch out there. I'm hearing of 438? I'll be doing this tommorow, so if any of you can save my this grief of D/Ling anymore files, then please give me a heads up, or answer.

System Specs.

Win ME OS(Latest Patches)
    Intel 500
    128 MB Ram
    2 Western Digital 10 gig HDs
    Logitech "Wingman" USB mouse. (Will check for new Patches)
    Diamond Viper TNT2 Nividia Chip 32bit (Latest Patches)

OmeneX
    Also BTW I run all my games under a different Windows profile. Which is set up for Optimal speed and effeciency. I call it my Fraggin Machine. :)

[This message was edited by OmeneX on Nov 17, 2000 at 18:49.]

2. Anon

Anon New Member

Hmmm....I guess somtimes ppl dont answer is becuase they dont get enough to go on somtimes and because a lot of ppl dont nescisarily run into the same problems...they dont want to say anything stupid.

Anyway, did you consider reinstalling INF? your current UT patch should work okay.

BTW..when i installed/reinstalled INF the screen resolution was set to the lowest resolution by default???

If this isnt true in your case.....can you change the res. on the pick video card screen??
    First run etc. you know the score.

3. VaeVictis

VaeVictis New Member

Hi, I had the same exact problems. The solution I found was to edit the INI file, the FullscreenColorBits entry to be exact. I changed it from 32 to 16 and then changed the resolution in the INI file back to 1024 by 768. Good luck.

4. Goat Fucker

Goat Fucker No Future!

Heres my humble go at it

I'll just say this for good mesures, im sure its not needed, but when u open INF, the first screen (black screen with the word Infiltration in yellow) doesent show youre mouse, just press ESC to go on.

But the real issue could be this:

Check what video render INF is running, and select the right one.
    Im ofcourse talking about software render, D3D and that glide thing.
    It seem alot of the problem ppl are having can be solved by using the right one.

Try em all for good mesure, it has helped others.

Thats about all i can think off for now, tell us if it doesent work out!

[​IMG]
    All hail the PRF!

5. OmeneX

OmeneX New Member

Thanks all

I wanna say thanks to pRoTiUs, VaeVictis, and
    Goat F*cker for you responses.

Turns out that VaeVictus had the problem pegged. Once I changed from 32 bits to 16 my mouse became visible. I'm able to run at all resolutions using that fix. Also I noticed that I normally run my computer at 16 bit, so maybe there was some type of conflict.

By the way Goat, I am running D3D which runs fine. I didn't have to change any of my 3D Acceleration properties. Also pRoTius I didn't have to reinstall anything. Just for future note.

Thanks bros..cya.

Omen

6. OmeneX

OmeneX New Member

Additional Info

Hey guys..just thought I'd add a couple more tid-bits of information. It's a lil more elaboration on what Goat said earlier.

Haven't seen me much since I've been playing the heck out of INF..great MOD!!

Anyhow.

On several of my buddies computers when Infiltraion is installed, I've seen the MOD run in a window, instead of the normal full screen. What I noticed, after some tinkering around, is that this is generally caused by the 3D acceleration property/renderer you may be using. (A known issue)

Such as D3D or Glide, or if your really really stuck, software rendering.

Also the video driver version you are using can also affect this, since the "driver" is also dependent on your 3D acceleration property/renderer you have selected, to run correctly. Make sure you have an up to date driver for your video card. (Always a given)

You guys will probably hear.."but UT runs fine for me!!" Well what was found out is, that some computers/graphics cards/ and whatever patches/versions/drivers you are using have a tendency to default to lower or different settings when something new for UT is installed.

On the plus side. I've noticed alot of my friends who use D3D have been able to resolve this "window sized game" by switching to Glide instead, or Vice versa. It can also be fixed "sometimes" by just reselecting the same 3D accleration property all over again.

I've seen this problem/fix work for 3 different computers, so it is a good one to try!

Hope this helps..even if it might have been stated for v2.81 before. (shrug)

Heh..I finally did see the defaulted resolution set itself for the MOD when INF was installed on my buds comp pRoTiUs. :) Strange..

Omen

P.S. If I have a problem now...it's due to the fact that an abnormal amount of my current assult maps, have falls in them that constantly kill my bots off. ;) See you guys online when Netplay becomes availible!

[This message was edited by OmeneX on Nov 21, 2000 at 03:52.]

7. Anon

Anon New Member

heh..

hey omen,
    glad you got it sorted.
    as it happens, a number of other ppl seem to be having the same problem as you had.
    and iv'e directed them to this board cuase youve explained how to fix it.

hope you dont mind??