Yay! My DX is screwed!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sardaukar

Aug 23, 2001
Eglin AFB, USA
Visit site
I couldn't run any games in D3D so I **** my pants and opened dxdiag.exe

ran the DX tests and these are the errors.

Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x80004005 (Generic failure)
Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)
Direct3D 9 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)

All I have to do is reinstall DX right?

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
Found this link http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread/t-4969.html which really didn't help but it lead me to http://www.computing.net/drivers/wwwboard/forum/1646.html. Not sure if that helps but it did lead me to: http://club.aopen.com.tw/forum/viewmessage.asp?forumID=27&MessageID=7565

It appears that it concerns a remote program that has been installed Netmeeting, PC Anyware, stuff like that. Some people say they don't have remote software on their machines but it is suggested to scan for trojans.

1. Check for trojans on your machine

2. Get the DX unistaller from here (bottom of the page: http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/encoding.html

3. Unninstall and re-install DX

4. The remote control software uninstall solution is one solution that worked for me and other people in a tech forum I'm part of, but indeed this problem can be caused by other factors. Unistalling DX and re-installing it should solve the problem, if it comes back try to find the software that's causing it by checking the running processes in your OS. I hope you get it back working again.

Edit:
Try this,
Go to your Display Properties, select settings > advanced > your Gfx card tab > additional properties > direct 3D settings. From here set the PCI texture memory size to zero, it worked for me.

From that the response was:
Thanks a million! I tried dropping the PCI texture memory to 0, didn't work, then realised that the minimum for my particular driver (24/4/02) was 2. So as soon as I exited the screen, it reset to 31, and didn't work. Went in again to set it to 2 and... it worked! Direct3D problem solved.

Hope this message helps others (if they got stuck at the set to 0 part).

Someone else says this works
I had the same Problem with my Geforce4 MX and DirectX 8.xx. The Fix was kinda strange. And only works on Windows 2000 and XP, not to shure do.

Go and start Netmeeting, in there click on Desktop sharing. It will come up with a wizard go trough it all and when done, Go there agan and now select Disable Desktop sharing. Not go back to your DxDiag tool and you will see, Problem is gone. It seems that Desktop Sharing from Netmeeting is turned on at install and needs to be stopped. You can most off the time also notice this by looking at your icons. Thay will be 16Bit and not multi-color.

This seems to be more helpful
The problem is that video drivers and DirectX 8.1 don't install completely if your system isn't "clean" at the time of installation. The exact same thing happened to me!

1. Go to NVidia (not your board manufacturer) and download the drivers for your video card.
2. Disable EVERYTHING (via CTL+ALT+Del) that's running except Systray and Explorer.
3. Install the NVidia drivers. Reboot.
4. Disable EVERYTHING (via CTL+ALT+Del) that's running except Systray and Explorer. Finish the NVidia install.
5. Make sure EVERYTHING (via CTL+ALT+Del) that's running except Systray and Explorer is stopped, then install DirectX 8.1.

This fixed my system. It's not a BIOS problem, it's not a Netmeeting problem, and by the way your video card (and the GeForce 2 MX-400 series) does support AGP 4X.

Last edited: