XMP game night video (Sept 3, 2008)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
The original thread for Wednesday night is getting a bit too long, so I decided to start a new one for the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRUDpZikoc8

That's only 10 minutes of one of the matches. YouTube has a 10 min limit, and I thought people wouldn't want to watch me suck for more than that duration... (Ok that really didn't come out right, but hey this ain't Disney)

I have four move videos for you to enjoy! Just that my internet at home would take way too long. I'll try to get the rest uploaded at school soon.

I haven't had a chance to try mixing my voice in real time (add commentary as I play). That's something I want to do next, just like XMPTV...

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2004
I have seen a few minutes sofar and i already am rolling my eyes how lame MaskedBandit is. Running away from fights for his long range bs. For his 25 ping he's a nub.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
How come I can't see the artifact's particle trail going from you when you got the artifact? Is it just the quality or do you have the particles lowered so much?

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Two more videos :lol:

Lowlands

Avalanche

Yeah I lowered the particle effects way down, I think. GreatEmerald you have Unreal2 so I am surprised you have so many doubts about XMP graphics. I hope you get XMP downloaded soon so you can see for yourself. ;)

Also, I think this is enough for last Wednesday. I have more footage but they are not as good. I'll focus on quality not quantity ;)

Let's see how it turns out this Wednesday. I would like to upload matches on a different map every week. And maybe only one "best" match, with lots of players, some struggles/volleys/deadlocks... We'll see.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Well, I already have it downloaded. Graphics > UT2004. But I only play on UltraHigh everywhere so no idea how it looks on low values.
On Lowlands you were losing all the way :)
Avalance looks nice. Why don't you just run as you can back to your base once you have an artie anyway? And also why is the video not maxed out on the screen, there's a black frame around it? Surely it would look better if there wasn't one.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Where did my post go? I am sure I posted in the thread before.............

Bleeder

Co-Founder, U2XMP [Ч] Clan
Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
Graphics > UT2004.
Sure, if you're talking just the particle effects. Beyond that, ut2004 pushes far more polys and much higher texture detail than u2xmp/ut2003. Try playing on a large HDTV and you'll really notice it. Even the original Unreal/UT, with all the user-made mods and texture packs, make those old games look nicer than u2xmp these days :'(

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Polys? The models at ut2004 look low poly, almost like if they were some dolls. But this isn't about polycount, or texture detail, it's how the graphics are done.

Bleeder

Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
Maybe it's just me, but when I think about graphics, I think about the polygons that make up the character models and objects, as well as the quality of the textures used.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Yeah that is the usual comparsion in graphics nowadays. But it isn't about polygons and textures, really not. Besides, these models in ut2004 aren't that high poly, I've seen models with simmilar poly count like that years before in one game which got kinda forgotten by public.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Emitters are the main thing for me. I mean, who doesn't like those nice floating small 2D objects. And textures don't matter that much, if it looks iron, it will still look iron with higher resolution textures, just will lag you more.

Bleeder

Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
it isn't about polygons and textures, really not
yeah, it's about the gameplay, really, not so much the graphics. Unfortunately, once you scale up an older game like u2xmp onto a large hdtv, the 5+ year-old "graphics" begin to detract from the gameplay experience. It's kind of like revisiting a really old game from the 80's or 90's, and it not being as good as you originally remembered it. u2xmp sorely needs updated texture packs/etc, similar to what people have done for Unreal1/UT1.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
There will be afaik, anyway I tried to do that once, to take the textures from diehard's project and he knows about it. But I had to delete the files back then and didn't get time to do it, but I think DieHard will make the textures avaiable for Unreal2 as well.

EDIT: Or wait nvm forget it, these were the textures just from Unreal in s3tc but ported to u2. There are no retexturing projects afaik for u2/xmp then.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
There must be some way to do it if its possible to import these alrady made s3tc textures....

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
You can import anything you want. The problem is scaling it to fit. In UE1 there's a function which you can use for making a higher definition texture scale down to the lower definition proportions yet still having all the data inside. It was created when Epic thought to release the S3TC packages (it was with GOTY), and in UE2 there were no such plans, so the function wasn't implemented...