XMP - A Different Perspective on Its Future

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kaladryn

Sep 23, 2004
This post is both a tribute to what a great game XMP is, and a perspective on its future. The number of times these opinions have been discussed will infuriate some of you no doubt, however I need to express them to make sure they haven't been overlooked or undervalued.

XMP is a niche game, great because it is not like other games around it. For everyone to love XMP, it would have to be a lot more like UT2004, or any other dumbed down FPS shooter. A game can strive for greatness, or it can strive for popularity, but it can not strive for both! This is the intrinsic nature of of one thing greatly exceeding another. See Friedrich Nietzsche or Charles Darwin (an odd pairing) for further explanation and proof of this if needed. The best will always be a niche.

XMP found a niche, it hit the nail on the head perfectly for a small group of us. Finding a niche is never easy, and I believe it isn't just any niche XMP found, but instead an unusually "tasteful" group of players, who appreciate the genius of an incredibly well crafted FPS.

XMP needs to stay in its niche, sitting squarely in the middle of "allows one to express more skill than any other FPS game ever". Time and exposure are all XMP needs to grow.

From my perspective, I see XMP as the leading evolution of FPS gaming, more advanced, more difficult, harder to recognize, certainly not "mainstream", and closer to the future than anything else.

Kal

PS Tribes2 was "my" game for many years, and I'm one of its biggest fans, I've been playing the hell out of Tribes Vengeance, and although I like it a lot, I find XMP to be much more enjoyable, as a matter of fact, TV has made me need to reinstall XMP and play it again, I have a friend bringing over my Unreal2 CD now, I hope to find a server!

Last edited:

McKain

Professional Suicideer
Jul 10, 2004
Sir_Brizz said:
See U2XMP.

Well isent that what UTXMP is suppose to be?
U2XMP whitout the ping and the low fps but still the same game play to start whit.

Last edited:

Kaladryn

Sep 23, 2004
I'm 100% behind UTXMP, and think it will be great, the title of the post "a different perspective" comes from what I see posted about how XMP needs to 'change' in order to do well and grow. I have faith FMI will do a great job and keep XMP true to it's roots.

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
Kaladryn said:
XMP needs to stay in its niche, sitting squarely in the middle of "allows one to express more skill than any other FPS game ever".

Your statement needs correcting. "allows one to express different skill than any other FPS game ever" is much more accurate. Saying a game like XMP requires more skill than any other FPS's is highly speculative and biased, especially if you have not played competitively in games like Quake 3 or UT2K4. I have, and I have also played competitively in games such as XMP, Red Orchestra, COD and BF1942. Yes, it takes more skill than some, but not all.

Now, we may disagree on which requires more skill, and the issue certainly is debatable. However, from my experience I can assure you that XMP is not the platform that allows for the highest level of skilled competition. Different skills yes, but not most skilled.

*EDIT* Other than that, good post. :):tup: XMP Rocks. :D

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
McKain said:
Well isent that what UTXMP is suppose to be?
U2XMP whitout the ping and the low fps but still the same game play to start whit.
No because U2XMP failed...and it wasn't just because of it's bad pings and bad fps.

Air7725

Urusai
Sep 10, 2003
England
www.free-monkey.com
[Lithium] said:
The worst thing that happened to XMP was that it was made on the U2 engine which lacked the popularity and multiplayer base to draw players from.

it was made on the same engine build as ut2k3

The differents between that XMP build and 2k4s is the LE particle system, ect LE stuff that and 2k4 is designed for large scale team combat wheres 2k3 was not :p

Last edited:

zombiewoof

Rokk Fiddler, Farmer
Oct 2, 2003
Oaksterdam, California
Visit site
I think he ment the game u2. That and believe it or not, a lot of folks still don't have a decent internet connection. Lack of bot support when you don't have de innernet is kinda ...lonely.....makes ya wanna....SHOOT SOMEONE! Even if it is a robot.

Undertaker1

[ø§]Taker
Jul 25, 2004
Sir_Brizz said:
No because U2XMP failed...and it wasn't just because of it's bad pings and bad fps.

stfu fooking hell, if you don't like u2 xmp then **** off becasue this is a port of it, with somethings improved.
From what i have seen it looks true to the orignal, good job FMI

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
[{OSN}]Taker said:
stfu fooking hell, if you don't like u2 xmp then **** off becasue this is a port of it, with some things improved.
From what i have seen it looks true to the orignal, good job FMI
Quoted for proof.

You just proved my point, wtg :rolleyes: :tup:

I DID like U2XMP, but it had PROBLEMS that needed to be FIXED which is what is going to HAPPEN.