xfire hack to support UTXMP

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

pistos

Mar 18, 2004
Procedure for adding UTXMP to your xfire game servers browser:

(This is a hack, so it may not work with the next update of xfire. Also, it does not add full xfire functionality, but it is better than nothing.)

1. Go into the xfire application folder, located here:

C:\Program Files\Xfire

2. Make a copy of the file called “xfire_games.ini” in case you need the original again for some reason.

3. Now, open the file called “xfire_games.ini” with your editor. Simplest way to do this is to just right-click on the file and select “Open” from the pop-up menu.

4. Scroll down to the place where it says, “LongName=Unreal Tournament 2004”. A quick way to locate this is to find “Unreal Tournament 2004” in the file.

5. Add the following line right after the other “CommandLineMustNotContain” statements: “CommandLineMustNotContain[6]=-mod=UTXMP”

6. Now scroll down to the end of the file and add the following lines, leaving a single blank line between the last line of information in the file and this new information you are going to add:

[4999]
LongName=UTXMP
ShortName=utxmp
Icon=utxmp.ico
LauncherDirKey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unreal Technology\Installed Apps\UT2004\Folder
LauncherExe=System\UT2004.exe
LauncherPasswordArgs=?Password=
_GAME_HOST_PASSWORD%
LauncherNetworkArgs=
_GAME_HOST_NAME%:
_GAME_HOST_PORT%
_LAUNCHER_PASSWORD_ARGS%
CommandLineMustContain[0]=-mod=UTXMP
InstallHint=UTXMP\Help\UTXMP.ico
Launch=
_LAUNCHER_EXE_PATH%
_LAUNCHER_NETWORK_ARGS% -mod=UTXMP
ServerStatusType=UT2K3
CanBeUpForGame=TRUE

7. Save the file.

8. Launch xfire.

9. In the server browser, you should see UTXMP listed as one of the games installed on your computer now.

10. [This feature is now broken] In order for you to be able to launch UTXMP directly from this list, you have to now manually add the servers you want to launch UTXMP for. This is done in the Tools menu of xfire. Select from the Tools menu “Add Custom Game Server to Favorites”

11. [This feature is now broken] In the Game field, select “UTXMP”. Then, enter the IP Address and Port of the server you want to play UTXMP on.

12. [This feature is now broken] You should now see the server listed in your favorites, and if you double-click on it, UTXMP should launch and drop you into your server, ready to play.

13. There are some limits to this hack. You cannot “join” a game that one of your “Friends” are playing. Also, I don’t think your profile will give you any playing time credit for UTXMP yet. I am guessing that these features require some kind of support from the xfire server, which UTXMP does not have yet officially.

14. If someone comes up with some improvements on this, please share them with the rest of us.

Last edited:

...andrelax

SkyBum
Mar 14, 2004
london, uk
Thanks Pistos
It works as you say, though for me xfire doesn't find utxmp servers at all, it just displays the ones I've added manually. Is it meant to find them too??

pistos

Mar 18, 2004
I had no idea that the word "hack" would generate so much discussion. I believe I have used the word correctly, based on the definitions given in the dictionary,

hack: To refine a computer program; to gain acess to a computer file without authorization; to produce something hastily; a quick job that produces what is needed; an old or over-worked horse (that's me); to cut or chop with repeated and irregular blows (the quality of the work I did).

:B

pistos

Mar 18, 2004
Heads up to those who have made this modification to their xfire. You need to redo it. xfire was apparently just updated, so the "ini" file got rewritten. I just had to re-edit my "ini" file, and everything was all better again. Only take a couple of minutes.

Hopefully, we will be getting full official support soon from xfire for UTXMP.

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
pistos, did you think to search the site over this support ;) after all, i know that they should have a method for you to submit the request.

pistos

Mar 18, 2004
Not sure I follow you dandeloreon. Are you referring to the xfire website? Or the UTXMP website?

xFire does not directly support UTXMP yet, based on the list of supported games at their webiste.

There have also been requests submitted to xfire before, and the reply back has been that support will come when the UTXMP mod is completed.

If you know something else different from that, please share it.

dutch_gecko... This is definitely more fun! :)

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
i'm refering tot he Xfire website... i know i saw a place for requesting support somewhere... you can post for support on their forums also.
pistos said:
Not sure I follow you dandeloreon. Are you referring to the xfire website? Or the UTXMP website?

xFire does not directly support UTXMP yet, based on the list of supported games at their webiste.

There have also been requests submitted to xfire before, and the reply back has been that support will come when the UTXMP mod is completed.

If you know something else different from that, please share it.

dutch_gecko... This is definitely more fun! :)

pistos

Mar 18, 2004
xfire was just updated again, which means UTXMP support needs to be added again. (Looking forward to full support.)

I noticed that they changed the name of the "ini" file where the game support info is stored. It used to be called "ua_plugin.ini". The new name is "xfire_games.ini".

I have edited the procedure to reflect this change.

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
Do you suppose this new release will be 'complete' enough for them to officially support UTXMP? Imagine trying to update all the new servers that'll show up after this release.

pistos

Mar 18, 2004
I think the best thing we can do to encourage xfire to support UTXMP is to do what they ask, which is to send them an email requesting support. The email they give to do this with is:

newgames@xfire.com.

The more people who email in requesting support for UTXMP, the greater the chances will be for our request to be granted.

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
There is also a New Game Ideas forum that seems to generate a lot of traffic. At very least, asking for UTXMP support there will help pimp this game to the general gaming community.