Xen Project Announced For UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Retodon8

Sheep happens!
Jan 21, 2004
Netherlands
retodon8.net
As they stand to not make a profit from this i would think that the WB would welcome the free fanfare / Advertisement to one of there movies.

It the Xen Project ends up sucking, a lot of (ignorant) people will have negative emotions towards the Aliens IP, which may be free advertisement, but obviously not the advertisement the IP holder wants.
I'm sure you wouldn't want me to use your online Cheapshot persona and avatar online for the same reason either.
This is actually just one of multiple reasons.

lol911

May 17, 2005
It the Xen Project ends up sucking, a lot of (ignorant) people will have negative emotions towards the Aliens IP, which may be free advertisement, but obviously not the advertisement the IP holder wants.
As far as I'm concerned, Fox did that when making the horrendous AVP movie and its sequel. Too bad they don't look at it that way.:lol:

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
The mod team should probably save their time and effort until they can talk to someone in Fox's legal. Considering Fox's past, you probably won't get far - but you should have thought that in the first place.

The models do look great, btw.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
wow, this looks really interesting. i'm curious about how this is gonna turn out :)

The mod team should probably save their time and effort until they can talk to someone in Fox's legal. Considering Fox's past, you probably won't get far - but you should have thought that in the first place.

that's something i was wondering about as well. would be too if they had to stop working on this just because of legal stuff :(

Last edited:

soto

Feb 2, 2008
I don't understand the big deal honsetly, its a MOD for a game. Their taking the time to create all the content, while it is primarily based off of the Alien movies.
Who cares if they make a MOD based off Alien. It sounds good..

Retodon8

Sheep happens!
Jan 21, 2004
Netherlands
retodon8.net
If you don't understand what the big deal is, do some research, and it'll become pretty clear.
I know as your random every day average joe picked from the street it seems like big companies can have way too much attention for a small group of honest people who just want to entertain others by making an innocent, costless mod, but if you think about it some more, it does all makes sense.
You have to draw a line somewhere, and it can't just be a fuzzy smudge either.
It's hardly perfect, but that's the world we live in.

One thing that does sort of boggle me is this.
If a company makes a game, there are always tons of people who know how the game would've been better.
There should've been a snow level, there should have been auto-turrets instead of tanks, the trees should've been replaced by green mushrooms... and so on.
They might basically redesign the entire game if you let them, as obviously what you made up feels better than whatever somebody else did.
If it makes a better game... different story.
Mod teams are obviously more creative than random criticasters, so how come so many mod teams decide to build on existing content considering there are so many ideas out there?

Mischa

Feb 23, 2004
Who cares if they make a MOD based off Alien. It sounds good..
I guess you'd be the first one to care about it, if you were the one who invented that universe, and someone else ripped it off to build a mod, for a game that you don't even support, and don't get any money on, and could possibly damage your ip in his total concept, even if it didn't take a potential customer base away from your official releases :)

I like the screenies and the concept, by the way, but they all scream "fox me, plz!", whilst I'd appreciate it more if the first line was something like "we've been officially authorized by them to go on".

They can work their ass off, but at the end, if they don't get authorized, they'll simply be foxed out. Since it is quite simple to understand this, I'll avoid to annoy you anymore, but just think about it: they could simply change the look and names of their alien thingies, instead of representing the same of a "well known universe". After all, it was what the alien swarm crew did.

Last edited:
J

Jerc

Hi, I'm co-leader of the Requiem Team. We are aware of the copyright issues that might come up during the development.

Actually, we will not use any name or explicit reference to the movies. We will just use the same architecture and character design (designed by Giger, not the Fox ;) ).

We just want to have fun creating a game in our free time. We will not contact the Fox until they contact us, hopefully they will not.
If they do and ask for the mod shutdown, so be it, we will stop everything, no big deal.

Let's just hope that if we have to cancel the mod, Gearbox's Aliens game will be as good as AvP was 8 years ago so we won't be disapointed.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah there is obviously some talent here with this team especially in the art side of things, I dont think it would be out of their reach to try something original. Then perhaps in the future they could be the ones saying woah woah, cmon thats our IP :)

Its obvious Aliens is something which inspires them, I could say the same for natural selection as well. Perhaps they could take that inspiration and mold something of their own, there is less expectations on what things should be like as well that way compared to when you are working on a well known IP.

It wouldnt even need to be a total different direction but more loosely based, I think that would be a better idea. Just as halflife has headcrabs, halflife 2 and UT3 have tripod thingos and the matrix which drives alot of ideas out there. Theres nothing wrong with being inspired and giving alittle nod to the people who were involved in the IP but taking it, renaming it and changing a few things isnt really the best idea.

For all I know though this is the tip of the iceburg and theres alot more they havent revealed. Anyways just a few thoughts on the topic :cool:

Nagromme

Apr 25, 2005
Sounds great! I'm all for the no-HUD style.

Much as I like Aliens and the AvP games, I almost hope they do get shut down... just to see what cool creatures they come up with to swap in and keep going :) Whatever they look like, the play sounds fun.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Hey I have this great idea ... once this is released I will copy and rename it and then release it as something I made myself.
Since the names have changed they can't touch me.
I won't contact the authors because I'm not doing it for profit and it therefore won't them.
(it can't possibly piss off the mod-team, since they're doing the same to Fox/WB/whatever ... )
//

// Retodon8
Mod teams are obviously more creative than random criticasters, so how come so many mod teams decide to build on existing content considering there are so many ideas out there?
Because while they may be more creative (something I'd argue given that they're ripping off someone else's IP) they also are inherently lazy.
I'd blame Counterstrike for this as it made people think that creating a mod was yet another road to fame and fortune without having to do any hard work.
As a result the majority of the modders out there have stopped doing mods for fun and started doing it as a career-enhancing opportunity.

Then there's the lazy bit ... and that is what I name the 'McDonalds'-effect. Why bother with something good if you can do it cheap and have instant-satisfaction ?
Creating a game is a lot of work ... so you start cutting corners by taking out the hard bits and rip off someone else's hard work.
That saves you on creating a fan-base (you can leach off the success of a movie) and it saves you on creating an origninal background.

Nagromme

Apr 25, 2005
So we're assuming this will be a) not good, b) easy to make, and c) have no originality of gameplay or anything because the characters are re-used?

I do think they'll be forced to change the creatures, and I support WB's right to do so.

But that doesn't mean the result won't be fun--nor that the character concepts are the only work that goes into a mod. I think accusations of laziness are coming too soon :) The work of modeling, texturing and programming a mod, including audio and working out the game play, is not merely "renaming."

Even accusations of plagiarism can be safely left to WB. I suspect the creators are Alien fans, rather than people looking for an "easy" career move by using Alien and doing no work. I'm not angry at these fans--nor will I blame WB when they get shut down.

And I will certainly look forward to the results (probably not in the Alien universe) of their hard work.

PS: Battlestar Galactica: Beyond the Red Line is a fan game that makes an interesting case. The creators of BSG seem to be allowing it. Another interesting case: Star Wars Troopers for UT2004--a mod I believe Lucasfilm has explicitly said they will allow.

Not that I think WB will do what's best to promote their franchise... look at the AvP movies :p

Last edited:

Jerc

Feb 4, 2008
I jsut lost the answer I've written to JaFO and I'm too "lazy" to write it again.

Let's just say it's a fan fiction like any other. Adding new stuff to an existing universe.
Does people making Star Wars fan fiction get slapped because they ripp off Lucas work ? I don't think so.

We are Aliens fans, we already got a job, some of us in the game industry, and all we want to do is a fun game based on this background that we love, nothing more.

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
Hey I have this great idea ... once this is released I will copy and rename it and then release it as something I made myself.
Since the names have changed they can't touch me.
I won't contact the authors because I'm not doing it for profit and it therefore won't them.
(it can't possibly piss off the mod-team, since they're doing the same to Fox/WB/whatever ... )
//

well good jafo, you can,
always if you made the models, the code, the animations, the artwork, and everithing yourself,
because they arent copypasting the assets from any existing game

dub

Feb 12, 2002
always if you made the models, the code, the animations, the artwork, and everithing yourself,
because they arent copypasting the assets from any existing game

I think you're saying that if you make everything from scratch it won't infringe on IP laws? In which case you'd be incorrect.

Let's just say it's a fan fiction like any other. Adding new stuff to an existing universe.
Does people making Star Wars fan fiction get slapped because they ripp off Lucas work ? I don't think so.
They might not for the most part, but if they wanted to, they could. I think you'll find Lucasarts to be a fairly lenient company in that respect, but many others aren't.

We are Aliens fans, we already got a job, some of us in the game industry, and all we want to do is a fun game based on this background that we love, nothing more.
I think you'll find most people here appreciate that, just that I guess there's a feeling that any hope of seeing something good come from this could be wiped out on a whim by FOX and it'd be a real shame to see all this hard work come to nothing.

Out of interest, you guys asked FOX for permission at all?

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
But that doesn't mean the result won't be fun--nor that the character concepts are the only work that goes into a mod. I think accusations of laziness are coming too soon :) The work of modeling, texturing and programming a mod, including audio and working out the game play, is not merely "renaming."

Well if you are going to model, texture and program a mod, including audio and gameplay then you might as well use your own IP! I can understand fan fiction and I enjoy alot of it but first and foremost is permission from the owner to use it. Yes even George Lucas has shut down fan fictions he didnt approve of :p

He works for gearbox. So you should have taken that comment as: They are no competition.

Yeah I thought he did, which is why I pimped the homepage for the Aliens game if he wasnt going to do it ;)

I do find it funny that we suddenly went from talking about IP to the assets themselves! An alien (from this IP specifically) is based on this IP no matter who models it, its not the asset itself but the underlying idea. Say like how Marvel went after City of Hero's because you could make a custom character who resembled wolverine, I could name the character anything other than wolverine and perhaps change the colours but that doesnt make it any less like the original idea.

Last edited:

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
dub, im not saying that, im saying that if jafo does a copy from the mod, if he does it withouht copypasting the assets, sure, the modteam doesnt mind

(by the way i would f**ck to death the girl on your sign ;) )

Last edited: