1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Xbox: Project Natal

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by (GR)Killer, Jun 12, 2009.

1. (GR)Killer

(GR)Killer ...

2. DarkED

DarkED The Great Oppression

If that can do everything they say it can then I think it'll be revolutionary.

However... this is Molyneux we're talking about. Molyneux is the king of undelivered promises and false expectations.

So... we'll just have to see when it launches I guess.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  3. akstylish

akstylish Keyboard Crasha

I wonder if it's possible to use the sensor on PC via bluetooth adapter..

4. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

They said/claimed that it would work as an add-on for current 360's.
    So that could make it usb-interface ...

I think the bigger issue is that most people won't have a room that has enough lights and space for this to be really useful.

One of the 'real' demo's :
    http://kotaku.com/5286751/ever-wanted-to-see-what-project-natal-looks-like-on-jimmy-fallon

Notice how everyone is in red jumpsuits ?
    I bet that's how they can get the system to 'see' everything better ...
    In another demo during the E3 they were in a very clean white room.

Anyone who has tried EyeToy for the PS2 will know that good lighting in a room is essential for this to work.

One of the guys working on the project is the one that made the WiiMote-hacks on youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

The best thing in this project is that it is technology that until now was only available to the industry (ie : robot-vision for milking cows).

The worst part is that it really needs games designed for this kind of interface and while they were able to demonstrate Burnout:paradise I doubt the average game will convert as easily.

We are probably more likely to see the majority of games using this tech to 'assist' the regular control interface (like head-tracking used to control the camera while driving a car).

// -- edit --
    And think of the possibilities :
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  5. Darkdrium

Darkdrium 20% Cooler

Eye Toy 2009. :rolleyes:

6. dragonfliet

dragonfliet I write stuffs

Yeah, with a background that isn't solid at all (it's a studio), and intense lighting it would be sure to screw with the sensors.

As for the whole natal thing, it's pretty intriguing and I'm very glad it's coming out. It's a gimmick, just like the Wii is a gimmick, only this one doesn't cost $250. I'm pretty excited to see if any of the games turn out to be awesome, but to be completely honest, I'm not entirely convinced we'll get anything other than a bunch of minigames (you know, like the Wii). Though that will still be fun.

~Jason

7. bobthemutant

bobthemutant  

I heard that it doesn't detect black people.

8. SlayerDragon

SlayerDragon LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES

Black people don't play video games

Don't tell dotnetbeast

9. Unreality

Unreality New Member

then who plays 50cent blood on the sand ?

10. Juggalo Kyle

Juggalo Kyle Sup brah.

[​IMG]

11. JaFO

No, this one will be $500 ... 'cause of the rrod-experience that's provided as an extra ;)
    Kotaku mentions there's a rumour that MS might use it to sell an 'new'/'updated'/'improved' version of the 360 in 2010 ( New Xbox to launch in 2010 ). That or at the very least a boxxed set of the console + 'project natal' wouldn't be too far fetched.
    Heck ... the Wii = GameCube 2.0

12. dragonfliet

dragonfliet I write stuffs

I would honestly be very, very surprised if the hardware was refreshed outside of a slimming ala the playstation refreshes. Them releasing a box set just makes sense for new buyers. Bundles are great. And yes, the Wii being gamecube 2.0 is the reason I haven't picked one up. There are some fun games that I play with my friends, but actual, core experiences are lacking. That's why a gimmicky $70 (or so--who knows) add on sits well with me while an entire system devoted to the gimmick doesn't.

~Jason

13. TossMonkey

TossMonkey brown bread?

I call shenanigans on project natal.

14. JaFO

the problem with add-ons is that you might not even get any games beyond what's in the box and developers aren't likely to use it.
    However as part of a system it becomes something the developers are more likely to spent time with and it (might) result in more and/or better software.

Just look at the add-on camera for both the PS3 and 360.
    There's barely a single game that dares to use it as a major feature in a game.

15. BlackFish

BlackFish ginger synther hipster

This could work for lets say, uh, rts games maybe.