X-ray flashlight in UT2K3: Is this possible?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sleepy_the_Jackal

Jan 12, 2004
I've been searching high and low for a gun that has a specific targeting system. It's basically like an X-ray flashlight. What it does is shines a light onto a wall or obstacle, allowing you to either see through it, or see a pc/npc behind it. The reason I want this is because with all the railguns or other weapons that allow you to see through walls that I've downloaded, you have to use a sniper zoom in order to get the desired effect. It takes too much time to zoom in on some cases, and is rather inconvenient when I need to turn around quickly. Not to mention it's actually a little unfair to other players when you can see through the entire map all at once. With an X-ray flashlight, however, it stays on all the time, only allows you to see through a small part of the map, and it will also let people know when you've locked on to them, giving everyone a fighting chance.

So my point is, I'm wondering if this is possible, and if it is I want to know if either somebody made it already, or if somebody is interested in doing it.
Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:

Pxtl

Lord of the Files
Jan 30, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
What you're asking is impossible in the extreme - it would have to be designed into the engine. Stick to weapons that let you see players through walls.

Pxtl

Lord of the Files
Jan 30, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
A hud mutator could be done though, that would allow you to see players through walls. It would only show where players are though - no "neato X-Ray through walls" stuff. Basically like the weapons you've seen before, but as an item instead of a weapon. I don't know enough about 2k3 to guarantee its doability either way. I know in old UT it would be a big pain in the butt to do, as hud alterations are done through the gametype or the weapon.

Sleepy_the_Jackal

Jan 12, 2004
Well, the point of being able to see through walls was so you could see the players. I don't necessarily need to be able to see through walls, I just need to see the players. The idea is that you can only "see through" a small area in front of you, like a flashlight, and the light itself goes through the walls and reflects off of surfaces as it goes, so your opponent will know if you have a lock on them. Sort of like the railguns from the movie Eraser. That's what I'm looking for.

Lost_Thought

its not impossible, just difficult. there are graphic bugs you can take advantage of there have been several times i have been able to see through objects due to said bugs. the near impossible part is getting them to work consistintly with any video drivers

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Yeah, that's lame and considered a wall hack which is cheating. As such, it doesn't get discussed here.

edit: or anywhere else on BU for that matter.