1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

X-Fi patch and EAX?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 2003/2004' started by GreatEmerald, Jun 7, 2010.

1. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

Jan 20, 2008
    I just realised that the EAX problems I had with UT2004 were actually due to the X-Fi patch breaking it. I find that really odd, I mean, EAX is Creative's product, as is X-Fi and the patch, so why did they break it in the first place?..
    Anyway, does anyone know any possible way to get both the X-Fi patch and EAX running at the same time? Or maybe backport the surround sounds in some way? Any info on that would be highly appreciated.
  2. Morpheus-2396

Morpheus-2396 beyond Good and Evil

Dec 31, 2008
    Did you get it to work at last? I have similar problems with my X-Fi Titanium PCIe on Win7 x64 SP1 - sounds (e.g. weapons, pickups, effects) are frequently skipping or missing. Not just ingame - in the UT2004 Main Menu, some menu sounds are just not played!

I just don't get it, because I've done everything (at least I think so...) correct - completely reinstalled the sound driver, reinstalled OpenAL, reinstalled ALchemy, configured the sound driver (Speakers set to "7.1", always using "Game Mode") and checked the settings of ALL .ini files in the UT2004 folder. And the problem still is still there...

3. dr.flay

dr.flay Dr.Flay™

Sep 19, 2011
    Since Vista, Microsoft convinced some companies to depreciate OpenAL and GL support so that people would only use DX.
    Creative Labs and Realtek ditched OpenAL support, and the OpenAL site was shelved.
    If Creative Labs own tool does not help, it may be because the UT2004 renderer is to crappy.
    No seriously you may still need to use the generic OpenAL installer so that the wrapper is also present.
    The viewer tool ALCaps will list what it sees installed, and the functionality.

Smirftsch has moved over to OpenAL Soft to try and avoid the incompatibility with Creative and Realtek.
    It is possible to get UT2004 to use OpenAL Soft if you rename it to DefOpenAL32.dll or possibly setting it in the ALAudio.int file may also work eg: