Wtf, no terrain tut?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

mistanearing

Jan 22, 2008
Just finished watching the tutorials that came with the collectors edition of Unreal 3. Was unamused to find out that there was nothing on how to use the new terrain tool.

My own attempts to make terrain was epic fail. Unphased, I turned to the UDN/Unreal Wiki to try and find a terrain tutorial. All I could find was Unreal 2K4 and lower terrain tutorials.

I must be misisng something obvious here, so if someone could show me the light (in the form a link to an Unreal 3 terrain tutorial), I would greatly appreciate it.

amcculley

Jan 20, 2008
Unless you want to do level and material editing, the collector's edition DVD is worthless.

1) No terrain
2) No UIScenes
3) No custom weapons
4) No custom gametypes
5) No scripting, for that matter
6) No custom models
7) No mod info at all... wait, because it doesn't even exist yet
8) No mutators

Great for UT3 interior levels...... just awesome.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Unless you want to do level and material editing, the collector's edition DVD is worthless.

1) No terrain
2) No UIScenes
3) No custom weapons
4) No custom gametypes
5) No scripting, for that matter
6) No custom models
7) No mod info at all... wait, because it doesn't even exist yet
8) No mutators

Great for UT3 interior levels...... just awesome.

Most of that stuff takes way more then one tutorial to teach and allot of those take knowledge in other things like Max or coding. Neither of which could be covered quickly, so the very idea it could be done on a DVD is well absurd.

Ofcourse, you put the terrain stuff in the list because of this thread so it doesn't really fit with the rest.

Last edited:

amcculley

Jan 20, 2008
There were like 50 tutorials... not 1. They could have just spread the love around a bit more, that is all I'm saying. And, the tutorials go pretty deep into some areas and then don't even scratch the surface in others.

Last edited:

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
There were like 50 tutorials... not 1. They could have just spread the love around a bit more, that is all I'm saying. And, the tutorials go pretty deep into some areas and then don't even scratch the surface in others.

I'm aware there was more then 1 tutorial.

The idea of the tutorials was to get you started, not to teach you about every tool. As a result they left little things here and there out that they felt you did not need to know to get going. Of course Terrain should have been on the DVD, but you can very much make a level without that knowledge, so in a way leaving it out went with the idea of the tutorials.