Wow, nice work INF team!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
Yesterday was the first day I downloaded 2.9, you guys do amazing work. The interface menus have got to be the best I’ve seen. Very easy to navigate and very slick looking!
You know what’s really great about it all is that the team is still hammering away at it and I can't wait till you guys venture into the new engine. I’m excited just thinking about it!

Also I wouldn’t change a thing as far as the new menu screens go when you do get into the new editor it is absolutely perfect the way you guys have it set up!
And though 2.9 is still on the old engine I have to say the maps look killer! God bless! …

You guys f…cking ROCK! ;)

Last edited:

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
Yep and like I said I’m really happy they are still kicking. I remember a time when Unreal tournament got so boring and then INF came out!

And now with the new 2004 out I have this great feeling that the next INF release will be on the new engine and it's going to be ammazing what we will see us using all the new special effects in the editor.

I have this killer idea for a future INF map which I’m going to try make soon.
I can see an amazing battle ground with traces flying and explosions. with these new vehicles they added I wouldn’t be surprised if we start seeing WW2 vehicle add-ons poping up everywhere.

Speaking of 2k4, it almost seemes like the textures on the guns have been improved also. Man I wish I knew how to model that stuff. Anyway if I can at least get one good map out for INF I'll be happy:D

Last edited:

Dr.J

Staying Alive.
Nov 25, 2001
Hong Kong
www.alkdjflakdjfksj.com
unreal tournament was an amazing game. the bots were smart, the graphics were amazing and the game itself was well balanced... UT was a classic that i still play when i feel bored. just because its gone old doesnt mean that it should begin to get discredited.. i stand by the fact that i loved UT and will continue to love UT. UT2003 was crap however... so i dont plan to reinstall it until a reall good mod comes out for it (ie inf3.0 ;) )

Bushwack

Avenged Sevenfold...
Jul 21, 2003
Ohio, NE
Visit site
Ut2k4 is a lot better than 2k3 was, at least i like the Onslaught gamemode a fair amount. Ut was the best when it came out and its still worth a giggle and a play for old times sake once in a while for me. Its replayability is in my opinion why it STILL has a few servers with regular players on it, even after 4+ years.
And whom doesnt like unmercifully spawning like 300+ Nalis and killing them execution style with a redeemer with 999 rockets? :p

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
I’ll never loose respect for this old engine it was so ahead of its time. But the main reason I will never forget about that Gem is because it reminds me of the old Unreal 1 but that’s another story I'll get into in a just a sec...
About the UT-1 I’ve had so many sleepless hours of fun playing Hall of Giants and DM-Bathroom not to mention all the other thousands of map I played. It never ended as there was always something interesting floating around on the public servers.

By the way I know it’s off topic but as far as the Unreal-II Awakening game its ok. I think it kind of sucked how they put all this modern techno crap music in it. I mean what happened the dark and eerie music and ambient sounds that we once heard in unreal the game?
Also if you remember Unreal 1 had a lot of old medieval looking buildings like the little huts and things so you really felt like you were in a strange and faraway world. The new Unreal-II Awakening game just doesn’t give me that creepy distant feeling that unreal 1 had. But that’s not because the levels are not correct. The levels are beutiful! it all comes down to the music: I would like to take some of the levels in the new Unreal II and put some eerie music in place of the techno crap they added and you will get that old Unreal 1 feeling.

Anyway, @ Bushwack I agree UT2004 rocks. I can’t even begin to imagine the mods that will be here soon, the editor is probably the best I’ve seen in any game I’ve played around with.

Last edited:

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Starstreams: I feel the same way - UT2k3, 2k4 music isn't half as original as the old UT stuff was. Music in a lot of games, especially FPS, seems to have taken a back seat, and it's all about flashy graphics, which is a shame as you just don't get the same kind of atmosphere.

Anyway, rant over, I'm really looking forward to what modders can do with 2k4 - alright it's not that much different than 2k3 engine-wise, but I hope there's some more original mods being made.

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
Let me just say one thing to clarify.

I don’t care so much about the music in the tournament versions as I do in the story based games like Unreal 1 and the Awakening.
But you’re right about the online games as well.

Anyway, I understand that Unreal (the game) was always intended to be modern and in the future but for some reason I was so captivated by the way Unreal-1 took me to another world of isolation and loneliness. Most people do not like to feel isolated but I on the other hand enjoyed escaping from the real world.
Unreal 1 was a lot like Dungeons and dragons if you think about it: I mean look at the old ancient art work on the walls of the temple and through out most of the levels in Unreal-1. Not only was it ancient in looks but the music was so far away sounding that it gave you the feeling you were on the other side of a dimension lost in time.

The awaking in an ammazing game but it still kind of "feels" like all the other games of today. and by feel I'm refuring to the (mood) of the game.

Now with UT2004 that’s ok because it’s an online game and it is just an amazing game all by itself but then again I’ll never try to compare it with a story lined game.
When I get more time I would like to make an old Unreal-1 kind of game in the 2004 editor and put some eerie music to it. I think you can even connect levels together much easer with this new editor to make a kind of story line. That would be killer!

Dr.J

Staying Alive.
Nov 25, 2001
Hong Kong
www.alkdjflakdjfksj.com
actually theres nothing wrong in my opinion with the game itself, but the people that are playing it have changed in composition. thats affected the people who run around here too, with more 12-13 year olds (well at least they appear that way) coming in here. in my opinion the number who really know what theyre talking about have decreased too, many of the people who i remember being able to comfortably turn to in the weapon questions thread etc have now gone.. and sometimes you see people arguing with people who have had experience with the weapons etc.. this place has changed.

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
jaymian said:
I remember when INF was cool, then INF 2.9 came out.

And wait till 3.0 comes out on the new engine! now were going from really cool to bad a$$ ;)

@ Dr.J

I think there are a few reasons for why the older crowed is not around as much.
===
1. After 911 the economy changed and it was sink or swim for a lot of people, another words people just don’t have the time because the bills got harder to pay with less jobs.

2 secondly and most obvious would be because the learning curve with this new editor is about 10 times as complex because now you actually have to know how to model to do anything worth really cool.

2. And third reason is people want to move on... and experiment with the new technology. Like I said I can’t wait till INF moves into the new tools I just know with the talent these guys have they are going to blow everyone away!

@ Jamian, although I’m ready to move on and a know now that this editor is capable of so much more I will always keep a place in my heart for the old engine. I even kept my older voodoo 3000 and 4500 video cards because those are the cards that Unreal felt at home with. Unreal ver.1 and the old UT will NEVER be forgoten.

By the way, have any of you guys ever thought about forming some kind of small team or group to create a story line level. Other words say you had about 8 or 10 guys working one level each to go with a story then we could simply connect the levels and release one big level.
It would be fun.

Last edited:

Dr.J

Staying Alive.
Nov 25, 2001
Hong Kong
www.alkdjflakdjfksj.com
yeah i agree. ... as you guys have probably noticed i dont even hang around here as much anymore.. the only real thing that i do with inf these days are either botmatches or loading up the shooting range..

and i do appreciate people leaving. everything has a use by date.

EDIT:with the single player thing, if it came out id gladly play it. though ive got absolutely no mapping or ciding skills, so i cant help unfortunately :(

Last edited: