1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wow, haven't been here in a while

Discussion in 'Modeling & Skinning' started by PlasticFrog, Dec 15, 2004.

1. PlasticFrog

PlasticFrog New Member

I've found some really cool custom models I'd like to reskin (Like Marygold and Little Eris) but for the life of me have found nothing on reskinning.

All I need is the programs for extracting the meshes (probably from the .upl files, correct me if I'm wrong) and for compiling the new skin. I've worked with the UT (1st one) skinmaker prog, which was quick and easy and made a lot of cool personal skins for the Abbey model (you'd be surprised how cool shrinking down your wallpaper and pasting a face on it can look), so if there is anything out there as simple (or I'm willing to go for a more complex prog) could you please point the way?

2. Caravaggio

Caravaggio Custom User Text goes here.

Mesh files are the UKX files. You should be able to open them with Upaint, which came with the game. Though admitadly, it's a little unerving to use.

The Upl is what you'll write when you're done skinning, it'll just hold the path to the original mesh, but also to your skin in a UTX file.

3. SaD

SaD Skincollecting Fanatic

4. PlasticFrog

PlasticFrog New Member

Awsome!

Thanks guys! I'll admit that I usually just make them for single player use with bots but if they turn out nice I'll upload them somewhere! The reason I never really uploaded them is basicly that custom skins are rarely used online. At least they weren't with UT1 because they had to be DLed by the host server computer as well as the players, I think. Has that changed with UT2004? Are more custom bots used in online now? I just reinstalled the game since I hadn't been playing much, and just got back in the mood.

And one final skinning related! How do you get those awesome mirror effects?

P.S. Can't get UPaint to access any UKX files for other models. I'm probably doing something wrong. How exactly would you extract or view another models mesh? Oh, and UPaint is a bear to use :hmm: Thankfully I have Paintshop Pro. Thank you layers!

P.S.S. Ok, think I figured out the Mesh thing (need to use UnrealEd) BUT I can't read the upt files that UPaint exports. Search both the forums and google and can't find a plugin. I got the .dds plugin, but UPaint doesn't export to that format.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  5. PlasticFrog

PlasticFrog New Member

oh boy

Ok, discovered that skinning in UT04 is not as simple as it was in UT99 (duh! :lol: )
    Here's a list of what I'd like to know (nut its too late to go looking for it now):

1. How to read .upt files (where can I get a plugin for Painshop Pro 8)

2. How do I get transparent textures to STAY transparent?? (no matter what format I save that UPaint reads I can't get it to stay transparent, especially for the face. Remember: using Paintshop Pro 8)

Thats it, plain and simple. As soon as I can read the .upt file I can export a wire frame texture to use as a layer in Paintshop and keep my other textures aligned. Much appreciated!