1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Would You Do The Things He Did? Could You?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kuroshio Apocal, Oct 10, 2003.

1. DallasStarsRule

DallasStarsRule making personal insults since 1999

Exactly. Pretty much anyone else on that team 'did more'.

Johnson however, is black, hence from a media standpoint less damsel in distress material.

2. Saladin

Saladin Fez Toting Warrior!

rofl why you say that? heck, with her they might have been able to get more black people to join the army lol.

3. RogueLeader

RogueLeader Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"

She was elevated to hero status because she survived. THat was all that mattered. She lived and the US could stage a daring, i.e. faked, rescue of her to spread war propaganda to get the American people on Bush's side. Remember how she supposedly was brutally tortured and knifed and so forth by the evil sand ****** Iraqis? Whoops, they accidentally got that wrong. And then she suddenly got "amnesia" because of her "brutal torture." Does anyone other than Fox News actually believe that bull? A man would have done just as good to demonize Iraq and glorify our forces.

4. Zundfolge

Zundfolge New Member

A man would have been used just the same, but I don't believe a man would have been as effective as the cute and perky little Pvt. Lynch

5. Zundfolge

Zundfolge New Member

I thought the same thing, but lately the army has been criticized for recruiting too heavily among African Americans.

6. TheShiningWizard

TheShiningWizard Because it's more fantastical.

Operation Human Shield :)

7. Kuroshio Apocal

Kuroshio Apocal Sucka Free

It isn't so much a recruiting tool as "selling the war". The Pentagon needed an icon to appeal to middle America. 30 year old single mothers who joined the Army to learn to cook don't quite work as well.

8. Big_Duke_06

Big_Duke_06 Charlie Don't Surf!

Operation "Get Behind The Darkies"! :lol:

What a great movie!

Chef: Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?

General: Err... I don't listen to hip-hop.

Matthew

9. poaw

poaw You used to sleep easy at night.

I think all of you are reading into this too much. The reason she became a hero was because she was the first. She was the first thing they could use to sell the war. Her personality probably had nothing to do with it. The people who make these kinds of decisions wouldn't have known anything about her or her personality. Any way you sliced it they would have used her story. Her being unconcious throughout the fight was probably a convenient coincidence but not really nessecary.

10. spm1138

spm1138 Irony Is

Maybe Lynch was chosen because she was the only one that allowed them opportunity to utilise special forces for the rescue and salvage some dignity from the setback of prisoners being taken that early on.

11. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

And they didn't even have to risk people in this 'daring rescue' as well, which probably made the decision a lot easier.

Just think :
    There are going to be enemies near that location where the rest of the team was held ... and they might even know how to shoot.

There's nobody near the hospital that could pose a real threat ... you can even take a camera-crew with you and you won't have to risk looking like an idiot on the news ...

12. Kuroshio Apocal

Kuroshio Apocal Sucka Free

I doubt the commander on-scene had any idea to what was happening at the hospital. Which is why SF (allegedly) went in to get her. It sounds better than "a infantry squad went in, and shot the place up because there was a remote possibility of resistance". But that is for another thread.

Fact is, that the guys that make like pins in a 5.45mm bowling alley are getting screwed over for recognition by, for lack of a better term, the bench-warmer. Why?! Of all the ****ups in that situation, why possibly the dumbest?! Even if it was the chick that got killed I would be happy. Because at least she made the ultimate sacrifice (albeit not of her own free will, but still). Lynch gets to go home, an honorable discharge and tons of f*cking loot.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2003
  13. Keiichi

Keiichi Old Timer

It pisses me off to no end every time I see that d*mned Jessica Lynch on the television being praised as a "brave American hero". I couldn't believe from the start that she was actually being rewarded for failing, but the way the media has latched onto her is just sickening.

She crashed a humvee, got knocked unconscious, was carried to a hospital and then "rescued" from her doctors by US Special Forces. Whoopdee-freakin-doo! What part of that makes her a hero? She didn't even f*ck up. She was just riding along with people who f*cked up. Her total contribution to the battle, for good or bad, was approximately jack sh*t. And the bullsh*t about her "repeated stabbing" and "brutal torture" is just icing on the cake!

The whole propaganda-fest just gets under my skin.

-Keiichi

Last edited: Oct 14, 2003
  14. Big_Duke_06

Big_Duke_06 Charlie Don't Surf!

Well put, and I couldn't agree more.

Matthew