1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

working on a new Tank

Discussion in 'Modeling & Skinning' started by StoopidKwestion, Sep 12, 2004.

1. StoopidKwestion

StoopidKwestion New Member

[​IMG]

Should have a fairly potent main cannon, but no AA capability. For close quarters defence, I have been working on a vehicle mounted flamethrower! I have borrowed heavily from Mr Evil's flame thrower, and made a workable flamegun for the bow mounting.

Now, she's off to the painters for mapping...followed by a spin in game :D

2. NSFTyrant

NSFTyrant New Member

hey i wanted to know how to add skins to your models i got 2 doom models to put in ut ,here.

The Guardian hasn't been put in 3D MAX so it still has skin

Attached Files:

3. Dismal Brute

Dismal Brute Slippery when wet.

Sweet. That's one hell of a barrel there.

4. NATO_chrisjm

NATO_chrisjm Member

Nice

Oh and it's a Warhammer 40K Imperial guard Leamon Russ just in case you didn't notice.

Still ... nice.

:p

5. StoopidKwestion

Sshhhh...don't tell GamesWorkshop ;)

6. Mincher

Mincher New Member

it may be from warhammer 40k but it reminds me of the devestator tank from dune 2. anyone else see it or am i just makin it up?

7. Vailias

Vailias New Member

Woot! Go Leamon Russ!

Nice second vehicle project Stoopid. :p Now just make sure you remember to lay out the treads on their own UV map and material so they can use the same Variable texPanner techniqe that the goliath does.

8. StoopidKwestion

:) The texture panning thing was top of the list for things I wanted to try out. As I see it ( from looking at the goliath code ) left tread and right tread need to be seperate materials ( though with the same texture ) The panning seems to be linked to texture id.

I have also started work on some extra guns. There are quite a few variants on the 'Russ' which I think I can do by changing the guns. I left a dummy wheer each weapon station is. There are also 2 extra dummies where the side sponsons go on some variants. This way I can blend them in with the same base model and get a good selection built. Hope to get this thing roughly mappe dby the end of the week so I can start wading in to the code.

I plan to have the driver operate the bow gun, with other players needed for the heavy stuff.

9. StoopidKwestion

Damn those %$£$%$^£%!!!"£!"!" tracks!!!

Should have thought about this before Imodelled them... but in order to have them pan...the texture must be evenly layed over the entire lengthof the track. HAving made them lozenge shaped to match the tank... cylindrical mapping is out. It stretches the mapping over certain areas!

Back to the drawing board.

This time I am going to make circular tracks....UV them...THEN move them into position. As long as I don't change the size of any of the polygons, all will be well. Should have thoguht sbout this before I made the first lot of tracks.....

10. Vailias

Vailias New Member

?? yes its best to think before building and UV at the best time to do so, but rather than do all that now select all the tracks and use a cylindrical mapping for a start, just to get the polies lined up in a big row. then adjust the verts of each polygon so they all line up in a square covering the entireity of the UV space. That way each quad of the track gets the whole texture, which means you can use a smaller texture (less memory) and it will still have a good amount of detail (looks better).

And yes you would need sperate material ID's since the panners have to move independantly when the tank turns.

11. StoopidKwestion

Hadn't gone so far along the mapping road, so re-doing the tracks was easy enough to handle. UV mapping in Lightwave is pretty simple anyway :)

So...progress has been made :D

1) Multi texture: Figured out how to do it, and it really isn't that hard to do in Max. I don't know exactly why you can't just add multiple materials...but there you go! This works :D
    2) Imported my rough texture blanks into the new Wartanks texture. Added the hull model with it's new tracks into the animations package, set up the basic collision code etc.
    3) Duplicated the Goliath code, switched it to reference my new model, changed the texture panning id's to match mine ( My left-tread and right-tread material ID's were the other way round! ) compiled it....
    And it worked!

The height of the vehicle is all wrong....which I presume is controlled by the set of 'repulsor' values at the end of the code. I could move the mesh higher..but..well...thats wrong :D

I haven't built or coded the weapons yet, so the turret is still the Goliath, but that was enough for one evening. The thing is in game, it drives, takes hits and the tracks move when they should! Progress.

Now to update my tutorial with multi-texture stuff.

12. Vailias

Vailias New Member

oh hell I didn't know you were doing it in lightwave. Sheesh man the UV layout tools in LW are just snazzy.
    When you say the height do you mean height off of the ground? Like is it stuck halfway through the ground?
    Remember to make the thing rest on 0 on the positive Z axis rather than fully centered.

Glad to hear it is coming along.

13. StoopidKwestion

:) LW is just such a breeze to map with :) It would be even easier if someone would write a plugin to allow me to import LWO into Max 6 .. There isn't one yet ( only for Max4.X / 5 ). I am using 3D Explorer to convert over to OBJ then importing to Max. Seems to preserve the UV's most reliably that way.

Height off the ground is exactly right. It's not stuck all the way in, and is still driving , so I wuold guess it is sitting at the heighta goliath would be at. I had the model centred around the Z axis axis ... so the thing is probably taller than the Goliath by the amount that is underground!
    If I sit it on the Z zero line, it looks like it will be floating in the air. It's definitely not halfway underground .... It's probably only a couple of UT Feet underground. I will have a look at the code tonight and play with that.

When it comes to positioning stuff, it's a little bit trial and error! With Max set up, I can measure stuff there and make a reasonable guess. I still don't understand the units used for the visual range though!

I plan to add a copuple of gun sponsons on either side, and I will need to limit the range of mavement the gun barrels have there. Any clues as to the measures? I can see the bits that limit the field of view...but don't get the units!

Hope to post a screenie or two tonight which should make things a bit clearer ( unless I fix the problem ...when they will just be for fun :) )

14. StoopidKwestion

After much trial and error, I finally hit on the right height to position the mesh! I suppose I ought to get to grips with the positioning of the bits in the code that control the height... but this has done the trick!

[​IMG]

The basic map has been applied, but I haven't painted it. Leaving the team colours in place has made for an interesting effect...but this too will be going ;)

Next to go will be the old Goliath turrets. But thats a job for tomorrow :D

15. Vailias

Vailias New Member

niice.
    Units: Distance units in unreal are basically 2cm per unit. (characters are 96 units high = so like 192 cm (about 6' 3" or so))

Rotation units are based on 2^16 units per circle (ie 16 bit).
    so every 90 degrees is 16384uu. 180 degrees is 32768 etc.

Its odd but you get used to it.

16. StoopidKwestion

The physical scale I had guestimated, based on the assumption that a player figure was going to be around 6' tall. Nice to have that confirmed :D

The viewing angle had me confused :) Presunably, '0' for angle is straight ahead, with +ve being clockwise, and -ve being negative ?

17. Vailias

Vailias New Member

yep thats how it works.

18. StoopidKwestion

Thanks :) That means I can go ahead with my plans for a variant with side mounted sponson guns too :)

Been building up a set of weapons too :) Got my flamer working, plus a slightly modified version of the Goliath cannon. Also want to do an auto-cannon based on the assault minigun turret. If I want a superheavy gun, there is always that ion-cannon tank too :)

Anyway... once I have a fully working, mapped and sorted Leman Russ body, I can start work on a whole load of variants :D And, of course...there is another basic hull or two to build :)

Was wondering...about team skins. Presumably, the team skins are applied over teh base skin to give a 'tinted' finish. Are these alpha textures? I wanted to either have just decal type team markings, or, possibly, completely differnt camo schemes for the teams. If I had a full skin in each 'team' colour, how would I set it up? Just put them in and reference them as teamskins?

19. Vailias

Vailias New Member

no. They are separate textures. In the Script you specify RedTeamSkin = "texturepath" and BlueTeamSkin.

While the Unreal Team has opted for doing simple tints they can be (and in this case really ought to be) totally different skins.
    There is so much diversity in the Warhammer universe the vehicles should have wonderfully different factions for their team skins.

Personally its been in my mind to do an entire eldar vehicle pack. If we can get these vehicles done and maybe some player models and we can have a cool little Mutator to make it Eldar VS Imperium. :)

20. StoopidKwestion

:D Sounds like a damn fine plan!