1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[WIP] High Poly Skaarj for UT2007

Discussion in 'Work in Progress and Pimps' started by EvilEngine, Dec 31, 2005.

1. EvilEngine

EvilEngine GodMode

This is one of the high poly models I have in the works for the next UT. This will be used as the normal map source mesh for the lower poly version. Anyone whos worked with Zbrush knows this is easy to do.
    Soon I will show some more pix of the body. Other models I am also working on or touching up are DevilMan, Tyrant from Resident Evil and Diablo. I love monsters :)
    Anyone wondering, this was an overnight job and its far from complete just so everyone understands. I plan to render the normal map out with a special bumpmap I have made to increase detail even more. Not sure what the polycount is right now but this head and the body are probably well into 1.4-2million.
    [​IMG]

2. Meatball01

Meatball01 Member

2 million polies O_O, this game will seriously bend my comp over

3. EvilEngine

EvilEngine GodMode

The model in-game will look like 2 million, but the actual mesh will be well under 4000 max. I may round out the hard edges so the model is rounder than those silly DOOM3 models(I hate square heads. A few models for UT2004 I made are well into 13,000 triangles so thats something to think about.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2005
  4. Random Elite

Random Elite Put your feet up and frag.

HOLY ****!!!!! That looks bloody marvelous! Well done EvilEngine!

5. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

Nice work! But to be honnest, they look more like ORC than skaarj to me.

6. EvilEngine

EvilEngine GodMode

I like orcs, and I like Skaarj. Maybe in my subconscious I was thinking about Warcraft. :p
    Anyway, that sounds like another good project to do. Thanks for the idea.

7. Mr. UglyPants

Mr. UglyPants 2007 never existed, it was all a dream.

Always working on something heh Evil!!

Looks kickass nice, too bad we all have to wait for UT2k7 to use him, it is a him?

It needs a upper lip!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2005
  8. klasnic

klasnic ra ra rat Putin!

Awesome EE :D

I remember you mentioning you were going to do Skaarj for 2k7 and it's great to see you're letting us in on the WIP here. Needless to say I'll be keeping a close eye on this. Looks great so far :2thumb:

btw have you any particular design in mind given the differences between them in each game? Me, I've always preferred the Unreal II ones, though I'm sure that debate will rage on ;)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2006
  9. Death Dream

Death Dream Sadistic Loser

I've always liked to bump map my self and there it looks quite nice.

~Death Dream~

10. Olga

Olga Miffed

I'd like somewhere inbetween Unreal 2 and UT2004, actually.

11. EvilEngine

EvilEngine GodMode

The Unreal2 ones , to me, seemed to be more "Unreal" and looked like a real alien species(4 fingers, heavy torso musculatures and deep set eyes). The UTk4 ones seemed too humanoid(5 fingers, human-like torsos, and big anime eyes).
    The unreal2 ones just seemed less cartoony to me and more "grundgy" and I like that.
    As for this guy's body, its almost done and I may post a small screenie tonight after I paint on the scaley bump detail.

12. klasnic

klasnic ra ra rat Putin!

Cool. That was quick hehe. Another thing you might consider which the game's seriously lacking is a female one. Of course it's only a suggestion - we know what it's like getting inundated with requests so it's not that :)

13. EvilEngine

EvilEngine GodMode

Actually the question is: Are there actually females in the Skaarj species? Or any sexes at all?
    Maybe I can slip one in, say one of the skaarj warriors got bored and decided to get some Liandri Antigrav-Breast-Enhancing Implants + cologen injection.

14. ThunderBear

ThunderBear Team Orbit

Nice work bro, as usual.

15. klasnic

klasnic ra ra rat Putin!

Awesome :lol: Boob-enhanced Skaarj 4tw. LMAO :D

16. Olga

Olga Miffed

You will win two internets and a golden challace if you do. I think a good reason why there aren't female Skaarj in Unreal (and female nali that you can interact with) other than the queen is since no other FPS games had killable females aside from multiplayer and it would be less than acceptable if they included them. New games do have female baddies so there is something thats sort of improving.

Many might say the Skaarj live in a hive system and whine whine the queen is the only female, but in reality worker class bugs in bee/ant colonies are actually female. (Which might make the Warlord the only male, and all the Skaarj you fight female, but different ant/wasp species have different gender roles, and some produce male warriors and female workers)

But I digress.

17. SaD

SaD Skincollecting Fanatic

A little bit late . Really awesome .I love your work.

18. Sahkolihaa

Sahkolihaa Ow...

All we need now is a Gen Mo'Kai (Motig please!) done for UT2007. Absolute fantastic work on that Skaarj, it looks far more real! :D

19. MacTom27

MacTom27 ME2 Lover

Seconded :tup:
    I don't understand why Epic don't keep the Skaarjs and the Gen Mo'Kais

Really impressive work.

20. daloonie

daloonie sex boobs nude

The Skaarj Queen is the only female Skaarj ay?

But she has to start somewhere, though I wouldn't be bothered with a female Skaarj it would scare the heck out of me :eek:

Anyways good work on that Skaarj ;)