[WinXP] /me si teh skr00d

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
My Windows got hosed AGAIN last night. Three days until the wedding and I get an NTLDR error on bootup and can't boot my machine. All the music for the reception is trapped on a hard drive I can't access. X(

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
1> do you have XP SP1?
2> is SP1 on the disc or on your hard drive?
3> will you lose those music files by reinstalling windows?

I would suggest that if you DO have SP1 and it is NOT included on your XP CD that you be very careful. You are going to lose your registry if you reinstall and will have to restore it from the backup. Apparently, there are some settings you can change in the registry itself to prevent this from happening, but I have no idea what.

If you can run a repair because you have an XP disc with SP1 on it, then do it. It takes about an hour (roughly) but you won't lose hardly anything.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
OK to answer a load of questions:

hunter: you can't get to safe mode. NTLDR error usually indicates a fuxx0red Master Boot Record.

My XP disc is Home Upgrade. Which means I have to go home tonight and go digging for my 98 disc just to "prove" that I have a previous version installed, cause it's not detecting my XP.

And Brizz, that's exactly what happened to me last time. I had to do a full reinstall which hosed my registry and left me re-installing all my major programs. Already I can't use my modem or my Palm.

My options right now, in the order I will attempt them:
1). See if I can get Partition Magic to help fix the MBR
2). Try the XP recovery console with FIXMBR
3). Reinstall, take the registry hit and start from scratch.

Gothik

Day Tripper
Jun 8, 2000
UK
Visit site
Try booting with the Windows XP CD, use the repair console and type in "fixboot" (without the exclamation marks), enter. This hopefully might fix you problem.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Dr. Nick said:
Of course that computer would have to be a 2k or XP machine ( assuming that the drive is formatted as NTFS )

Not quite true. There are 'drivers' so you can read NTFS from both DOS and Win9x/ME

I had to do my self once. Problem was I had to boot in DOS to save all my MP3's.
And you know what DOS does to filenames longer than 8.3 :(
I had a helluva job to rename all of my mp3's.

.altan

Tomorrow
Dec 22, 2001
If you've got more than one HDD, make sure the right one is selected for boot - many a time have I recieved the NTLDR error when I forget to configure my HD's after I mess about with the BIOS.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
IIRC, I solved my problem. Turned out to be an ultra-stupid problem, my BIOS stopped recognizing my primary IDE drive. So I opened the BIOS, set it back to auto, rebooted, problem solved. [shrug]

Now if I can just get my music CDs to burn without WMP (yes yes I know it sux) crapping out on me 80% through and ruining my CDRs.

Wedding went great, BTW.