Winxp, 9800pro, refreshrates, brightness.. God i need help.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site

My 80gig Maxtor made its last spin after about a week of grinding. I'm happy that i got most important stuff copied to another hd before it died, other things are lost forever.
Anyway, i've been a die hard win98se user for years now so why not try winxp?

• I installed catalyst 3.10 because they were pretty much ok on win98se. But now everytime i start infiltration i have to set brightness again. It's not that i have to turn it up, it's already up, but somehow it's dark until i 'touch' the slider. Now i know this is an ati driver bug but on Chris' site he states that the bug didnt happen before 4.* something. But i may be wrong about that.
  • My benchmarks so far using fieldmedics demo are exactly the same as in win98se. Give or take a frame. Darn. I really hoped xp would help inf a bit more. I'm sure if i slap in my old gf2 that he'll outperform the 9800pro still even in xp. ( but i won't get into that again )
  • Refreshrates. WTH is going on in xp with it? Normally (in 98se) i would set the refreshrate in the 'Adapter' tab for every resolution both for 16- and 32 bit. They would never change from that setting unless i made the change myself.
    XP seems to do what it feels like for every game and every resolution regardless what i set it to.
    Example: I set 1024x768x32 to 100hz. Then i switch the resolution to 1280x1024x32 and set the refresh to 85hz. Then when i switch back to 1024 the rate is suddenly 85?? Also if a game changes resolution to something else than my desktop resolution (1024x768x32) then there's no telling what xp will do with the rates.
    (Don't tell me i have to use some other utility to keep winxp in check.. isn't this supposed to be 'better'?)
Help me. I can't take much more of this. Everything seems to go wrong lately.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Brightness in UT with my Radeon 9700 just doesn't work at all for me, no matter what drivers I use. Instead I use a utility called PowerStrip which, among other things, lets you change the brightness on-the-fly.

Depends on your CPU - UT engine is very CPU-limited.

Not sure about this - I don't have any problems since I use a digital LCD panel always at 75Hz (max it'll do is 85 and I'll be damned if I can be bothered to change it for the rare occasion I use lower resolutions). There's a setting in Infiltration.ini in the OpenGL section where you can set the refresh rate.

meeba

lurking drop bear
Nov 28, 2000
uk
try ati driver hotfix (although its for higher cat drivers than the one you are using)

as for the refresh rate, give reforce a go which will lock the refresh rates for each resolution

i have had to nudge the brightness slider to get ut at the correct setting ever since 4.1 i think it was - luckily my 9800xt seems to run just as well on d3d which doesnt have gamma problems (yet)

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
About the refresh rate : i'm not sure that's what's happening to you, but i think everytime you change the resolution, xp tries to adapt the refreshrate to what *seems* like the most appropriate refreshrate for your monitor at a given resolution. If your monitor is referenced by winxp as a monitor that can't handle 100hz, it will probaly try to switch it back to 85 hz at any occasion.
However, if the option to hide incompatible refreshrate is checked, and you're still able to select 100hz, something is wrong. I remember seeing an option to overide windows' bad habit of changing the refreshrate, but i wonder if it wasn't some option for my gf card...

As for the other problems, i still can't find an explanation that wouldn't require believing in satan or malicious spirits.

Last edited:

zeep

Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
I think i'm gonna search for someone to trade vid card with. I'm gonna swap my 9800pro for a fx5900 i think. But that's o/t.

I'm checking reforce out now, will post results in a while.

Yes my monitor supports 100hz. It never was a problem in 98se and also not with my previous vid card , gf2.

Satanic influence and/or malicious spirits do sound perfectly sane to me.

*chants at pc 'Demon be GONE!' *

Olethros

Functional alcoholic
I have a 9800 Pro myself under Windows 2k and reforce pretty much solved any refresh rate problem I had. Just remember to turn off the POS ATI refresh rate override and DDC functions. The built-in override will only let you select one refresh rate for all resolutions, and DDC resets every setting (including the desktop) to 60Hz regardless. (I have Catalyst v4.1 installed, mind you, so your mileage may vary.)

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
meeba, that hotfix seems to have disabled all hadware video acceleration for me, DXDiag saying 'Not Available' for both 2D and 3D acceleration. Thank goodness for System Restore. I think I'll just stick to using PowerStrip (one of these days I might even register it ;)).

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
Ditch XP. Ditch Radeon. Everything should be fine after that.

XP, the worst virus ever made.