1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Winows XP 64bit

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mr. Apocalypse, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Mr. Apocalypse

Mr. Apocalypse My brain must be broken

I hear a rumor that Micro$oft is letting people upgrade their XP 32bit to 64bit for free. When I checked it out it was asking for a credit card. DiD I miss it? or is the credit card for like referencing or something that doesnt make sense but still gives me a small ray of hope that I can get XP 64 for free (and legal)

2. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

Shipping?

3. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

I dont think they'll charge your credit card without you knowing :p

4. Mr. Apocalypse

There is no price listing at all, just an insert credit number here slot, and then mailing address stuff, I guess it could be shipping.

5. Mappie

Mappie --Total World Domination--

I thought that you could download it from their site and try it out for "x" number of days. But I never botherd due to the fact that I dont care yet. That and the last windows OS that I run will probably be XP 32..... Hopefully. Some new linux distributions are looking good. anyways.. peace

6. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

"In order to install this application you have downloaded, you need to un gzip it, untar it, compile it, and run it."

7. Arethusa

Arethusa We will not walk in fear.

Yes, it's true that you can send in your 32 bit copy and get a 64 bit copy for the cost of shipping. No idea what that specifically costs. I don't even know what Windows costs.

8. ravens_hawk

ravens_hawk New Member

Windows XP costs $3.20 (USD)
    At least that's what they claimed at customs.

9. Mr. Apocalypse

Windows XP 32 bit OEM $140
    Windows XP 64 bit OEM $145

(from newegg)

I guess shipping isnt that bad, even though it is/was downloadable from Miscro$oft itself.

10. TheShiningWizard

TheShiningWizard Because it's more fantastical.

The obligatory...
    [​IMG]

11. SaraP

SaraP New Member

If you want it, get it NOW; July 31 is the last day you can get a free upgrade through the Technology Advancement Program. And no, you don't have to surrender your 32-bit WinXP; you just give them your product ID. Shipping and handling is $12, and they started shipping July 14...I'm expecting mine any day now.

12. erehwoN

erehwoN The Bass Ackwards BTL

I was going to do that a few months ago, but didn't because I couldn't find anyone else who had tried it with a similar rig as mine. So.....those brave souls who do install it.....please let me know how it goes.

13. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

Oh.

14. sandworm

sandworm [UMC] E-something

Installed it and never use it. No daemon tools support for it (yet), no nostromo drivers for it, and it didn't have drivers for my adaptec scsi card that xp32 had, so 3/4 of my optical drives are useless. That was just from trying it for half an hour.. who knows what more usage would have turned up. Worth less than the nothing I paid for it.

15. Lt.

Lt. Elitist bastard

Worth less than nothing.

if you are such a numbnuts that you need to pay your 200 bucks for crap, just wait until Longhorn comes on your new Alienware machine. there is no reason to upgrade your OS to 64 bit right now, there are no applications to take advatage of it, and 64bit-XP isnt a fully functional 64bit os.

that being said Linux is a fully featured 64bit os, and many distros have the software to take advantage of it. (for the record im sitting under linux right now.. looking at the links i use to play INF, Guild Wars and UT 2004 on my overclocked nvidia card... any of you waking up yet? ;))

16. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

Guild Wars has a Linux client? Impressive... although not quite enough to make me switch back since I do play a few Windows-only games.

17. Arethusa

Arethusa We will not walk in fear.

Is Longhorn/Vista going to be fully 64 bit? I've been thinking of building a new computer, but dropping 2k doesn't seem worth it with the current hardware/software market.

18. Lt.

Lt. Elitist bastard

no, Guild Wars is a silly little game written for silly gumdrop computers.
    Cedega

Buying it and supporting amaturish programmers (forgodssake *I* can use OpenGL, what is *their* problem.) was a tough decision, but no subscription fees was enough of a dont-be-evil push for me to go ahead.