1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Windows Vista Installation...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by SSG.Batou, Feb 15, 2009.

1. SSG.Batou

SSG.Batou New Member

OK, i got this game in the bag, but, im tryin to get it to work with a friends comp thats running Vista, and, it seems about %50 of Vista users get it to work, and the other half, well, dont.... so, if anyone knows whats up, please post and help... also, Cheers to all of us who still play classics like this....

2. Snakeye

Snakeye Mk82HD

What exactly seems to be the problem(s)? I've "installed" UT/Inf on Vista - well, I copied the whole UT folder from my old XP rig since I didn't want to get all files right again - and the only slight bugger is, that the server list doesn't update fast/correctly, i.e. if I hit "ping list" it only updates one server (luckily the next one in the list). I suppose this might be related to the wa I installed it.

Otherwise I found it to be a good idea to set your CPU to a constant speed (preferably lower than maximum) and make sure Inf runs only on one core (if you use a multicore CPU). The first can be achieved with certain tools (Rightmark CPU Clock Utility IIRC) the latter either with tools or by Alt-Tabbing out of Inf and selecting the CPU affinity in te task manager.

Then there's a shitload of little things that seem to end up rather in guesswork than actual science. You'll need to restrict the framerate since it fucks up game speed above a certain rate, you may or may not enable VSync (which is hidden in an oddly named variable somewhere in the preferences) plus probably another things that elude my mind by now - doing a forum search for game speed problems might dig up more information.

Basically I'm not sure installing UT/Inf on Vista is any worse or better than installing on XP - the main problems seem to be gamespeed and/or speedstep issues. I don't have any idea how Vista 64 compares to Vista 32 though, since I'm using the latter..

3. SSG.Batou

SSG.Batou New Member

well, we cant even get the game to start, it doesnt even load up, that is, after the UT436 patch, with a fresh ISO install, it starts UT just dandy, then, an update and nothing, I had no prob at all with the install of anything on my GW runnin XP on it and, I cant play anything above HL2 on this machine, not enough graphics, but, i will try to dump it onto his harddrive with a dvd rip from my machine and will post back... TY Snakeye

4. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

Try running it using the direct shortcut i.e. avoiding the quick start menu. As for game speed issues, see here.

5. Snakeye

Snakeye Mk82HD

What Crowze said. Don't start Inf via the Menu but make e.g. a bat-File including something like "C:\UnrealTournament\System\Infiltration.exe entry.unr INI=Infiltration.ini USERINI=InfiltrationUser.ini LOG=Infiltration.log". A shorcut containing the above should work too, I guess, but I'm a DOS-raised-child so I still use Batch-files :D

6. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

Well that would work, but by default Inf installs a direct shortcut as well :).

7. SSG.Batou

SSG.Batou New Member

ok, well weve tried bat files, where would the direct shortcut be??? soon we'll try dumpin from this machine to his and then seeing what pops up, ill paste in next post what happens, prolly a few hrs from now...

8. SSG.Batou

SSG.Batou New Member

ok, found it, NM

9. SSG.Batou

SSG.Batou New Member

If anyone can copy their UT file from Vista 32, and mail it to me, ill send ya some bucks, to be negotiated.... but, it will get another person into the games... TY

10. Snakeye

Snakeye Mk82HD

Uhm, which UT file exactly and why from Vista 32? As mentioned before I copied my entire UT/Inf from my (deceased) XP rigs HDD to my (new) Vista 32 rig and it worked flawlessly - if I understood it right you got UT/Inf running on a XP system, so why not copy it from there?

11. SSG.Batou

SSG.Batou New Member

ok, do i use the whole UT folder, or just the INF folder outta the UT folder, cuz, the prob happens when we update to 436, UT off the disk is just fine, but, the 436 with INF crashes everytime

12. Snakeye

Snakeye Mk82HD

I copied the whole UT/Inf folder - worked for me (the server browser glitch aside), but obviously I can't say it'll work for you. I've been thinking about making a fresh install to see if the glitch get's removed, since I suspect it's some Vista security and/or Firewall bullshit.

A few further things that come to mind:
    -Does UT not start after patch to 436 or is it just Inf; if both does it happen to UT after patching or after installing Inf?
    -Could you post the system specs - might help, might not help, but should be SOP for all troubleshooting requests.
    -Does it produce a crash message window or even a UT logfile (standard inf logfile should be infiltration.log; not sure for UT, probably unrealtournament.log or so..); if so post it here.

13. SSG.Batou

SSG.Batou New Member

ok. still cant get it to work F&%$ it were gonna wipe his comp and partition for XP and vista.... ne ways, what version are the servers running? cuz, i tried to connect and it says my "core version" is different

14. Snakeye

Snakeye Mk82HD

If the message was something like "INF_Core Version Mismatch" then it's because the server you tried to connect to was using Psytex - which updates the textures used by weapons and equipment, which is only possible by modifying the Inf core files. The Psytex thread can be found here: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=178571.

BTW, if you're going to wipe his PC why install both Vista and XP? I can understand the XP part, but what is Vista needed for?

15. SSG.Batou

SSG.Batou New Member

cool, DLing it now, also, hes a wierd one who actually likes vista, we only running XP too so we can play INF, and oldschool HL:CS5.0 and FireArms 3.0 if u've heard of them also, u seem to know a lot snakeye, heres my email pdacustomarms@gmail.com can u drop me a line and maybe itll be easier for me to get this to work than waiting 12+hrs... TY.

16. Snakeye

Snakeye Mk82HD

What's weird about likeing Vista? I actually dreaded the fact my new laptop shipped with Vista until I actually got to use it hands on - mind you that was about the time SP1 came out, so drivers for Vista were stable - to be honest I was surprised how smooth it ran and how fast it booted; since I got no serious problems so far I didn't evn think about installing XP instead.

About Email: you'll have better chances contacting me here, since I check my Emails once per day (usually even less), while I browse these forums at least three times a day (usually even more often) - plus you have the added chance of getting further help here so I'd suggest you keep posting your troubles here.

17. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

No need to wipe it - use something like GPartEd to resize his Vista partition, install XP, reinstall Vista's bootloader using the install CD and you're good to go. Still, I'd be interested to see any logs generated - as has been said before, Inf should (and does on my rig) work straight out of the box on Vista.

18. SSG.Batou

SSG.Batou New Member

workin on that, its hard to get something to work on some1's comp that really doesnt want the game anyway, he likes Americas Army, but, i ask "Isn't INF WAAAAY better than AA???" ill post any logs i can get