Windows (The objects, not the OS)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kitty.cat

It'll work, just not the right way.
Sep 18, 2005
Oregon
So. lol. I just found out today that normal people can see through the windows in Cuban Dawn. And so I thought to myself, ok, I gotta take this to the troubleshooting.

I can't see through 80% of the windows in INF. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head that I can see through are the ones in Arsenal. All others are VERY VERY non-see through. I can only see through them if I'm up right infront of them. And even then, I can only see about 2% of what's going on on the other side.

I'm on UTpr3 and running a pretty recent Apple. UTpr3 INF is set to OpenGL. I get the feeling that I will never be able to fix this without buying a PC. But if anyone wants to take a stab at this, that'd be great.

Kitty.cat

Sep 18, 2005
Oregon
Even better, Westlake has absolutely nowhere where you can troubleshoot UTpr3.

cracwhore

I'm a video game review site...
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
UTXpr3 is a preview beta written by an ex-employee of Westlake. Of course there isn't going to be support for a beta patch, written by someone that no longer works there.

You're better off booting into OS9 to play UT. You'll have some sound issues - but at least it will run. Then again, you can't boot into OS9.

Ryan Gordon is re-writing the UT rendering engine so that it will work well with modern hardware. Of course, it could take two years for him to get around to it - considering he's doing it in his 'free time' (which I'm sure he has lots of).

ravens_hawk

Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
I've only played with OSX a bit but can't you switch into classic mode? I used it to run Warcraft2, which wouldn't run in OSX

cracwhore

I'm a video game review site...
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
Yes, but by actually booting into OS9 - you're able to dedicate more resources to UT - which, in turn - results in a better experience.

I just did a quick test on My 733/G4. I get transparent glass on Cuban Dawn, however I forgot that I still only have 2.86 on this mac. :D

Below is my OpenGL INI section:
Code:
[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogTextureSize=10
MaxLogUOverV=10
MaxLogVOverU=10
UseMultiTexture=1
Texture32Bit=1
DoPrecache=1
DescFlags=0
Description=

Again, this is 2.86, so YMMV. I am going to do a manual install of UT and 2.9 on my PB tonight, and hopefully be able to say conclusively one way or another.

UPDATE: When I used a "ported" Windows INI, with a "default" OpenGL section, I got dark-colored blue looking windows. Using the above OpenGL section, this does not happen. Specifically, I suspect the "UseS3TC=True" line in the default section, but I'm not 100% sure.

There ya have it. Hope it works for you too :)

Last edited:

Kitty.cat

Sep 18, 2005
Oregon
CubanWindows.jpg

OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice said:
DoPrecache=0
UseMultiTexture=1
RefreshRate=75
DetailTextures=True
UseTrilinear=True
UseS3TC=False
UseTNT=False
LODBias=.4
UseMultiTexture=True
UsePalette=True
UseAlphaPalette=False
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
MaxAnisotropy=False
AlwaysMipmap=False
UsePrecache=False
SupportsLazyTextures=False
UseGammaExtension=1
UseModulatedGamma=0
MinDepthBits=16
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogTextureSize=10
MaxLogUOverV=10
MaxLogVOverU=10
Texture32Bit=1
DescFlags=0
ShareLists=0

I like the "lazy textures" line. Cute.
And setting S3TC to true didn't do jack.
I'm working on it, too. Now that I've fixed precaching I'm determined to fix the only other major detriment to my playing (apart from my ****ty connection)

Edit: Setting the Lazy Texture line to "true" doesn't fix it. Too bad. It would have made my day.
Playing with TNT didn't do jack either, despite the implications the name brings.

Last edited:

Kitty.cat

Sep 18, 2005
Oregon
You know what's funny?
I almost went to go post a new thread of this, forgetting I had made one before. And I titled it "Windows (the Objects, not the OS)" and then went back and realized that's exactly what I titled this one.