1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Windows 7 or 8?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Arnox, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Bi()ha2arD

Bi()ha2arD Toxic!

2. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

Yes.

I use 7 myself.

3. Al

Al Reaper

Installed Windows 8 on my new PC last night along with Classic Shell. Works (almost) like 7. The only things I don't like are no aero glass and that damn bar that pops up on the right hand side of the screen, but I'm sure there are ways to remedy those small issues.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  4. DarkED

DarkED The Great Oppression

You can restore Aero glass with this. Be warned, it's a dirty hack and can cause boot BSODs.

http://glass8.berlios.de/

As for the stupid popup widget in the top-right corner, I have found there is no way to disable that. You've just got to live with it.

5. Arnox

Arnox UT99/2004 Mod Crazy

Right. 7 it is. Thanks everyone.

As a sidenote, I hear Microsoft is already pushing for a Windows 9 release next year to make up for the utterly terrible 8.

6. DarkED

Congratulations on making the right decision Arnox :tup:

7. WedgeBob

WedgeBob XSI Mod Tool User

Lucky 7 here! Only one that's good for UT3, and for all the 3D modeling, mapping, and texturing that I can think of. LOL.

8. dr.flay

dr.flay Dr.Flay™

It is Windows surface, so if you intend to get a touch-screen device or an overlay for the screen, get 8 (maybe).

What can 8 run, that 7 cannot ? If there is a feature from 8 you require add it to 7.
    My Win3.11 had bits of 9x I wanted, My Win9x installs had the bits of ME I wanted, and my XP has the bit of Vista+ I want.
    I have yet to see anything in 8 I want to graft into my Win7.

7 is still very young and only in it's first SP.
    When 8 reaches SP1, it will be "ready". Until then it is half-baked.

Remember, all versions of Windows have been problematic until the first service pack. I doubt that will ever change.

9. DarkED

Windows 7 is nearly 5 years old (it went RTM in July, 2009.) It's not that young. Windows 7 never got SP2 because it simply hasn't needed it; it's been fantastic since almost day one.

As for Windows 8 SP1, well ... Microsoft is no longer calling them Service Packs. My theory on this is that the term Service Pack sounds too corporate and doesn't fit well with their attempts to give Windows 8 a yuppie-hipster image. Plus, Apple is doing incremental X.Y versioning so why not?

In any case, Windows 8.1 WAS the first service pack. It's still crap.

I guess 8.1 Update 1 isn't really a service pack, but it's around 400 MB so I don't know what else to call it. Unfortunately, it still doesn't give the millions of pissed-off users what they've been asking for - the original start menu.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  10. Al

Al Reaper

Nope. Easy fix. Google is your friend.

http://www.techattend.com/disable-charms-bar-in-windows-8-1/

Also disabled Skydrive. Got it working and looking exactly how I had 7. The general hate for Windows 8 is unwarranted, IMO.

11. NRG

NRG Master Console Hater

Thank you, geeze. With 8.1 finally coming to Windows Update in April I really think we'll see less complaining.

I can understand some people (particularly older people) getting confused with the new Start screen. But for everyone else that doesn't struggle with minor change or tweaks, there isn't much to complain about. You can easily skip that Start screen which leaves you with a Windows 7 PC really.

12. DarkED

Ahh yeah, you were talking about the Charms bar. Glad you found a solution. I already had that disabled :D

I was talking about the little notification popup that comes up in the top-right corner constantly that you can't move and can't disable.

[​IMG]

No, Windows 8.1 has already been out for about six months. Windows 8.1 Update 1 goes official on April 8th, but if you're already running 8.1 you can install Update 1 right now. I installed it on my netbook just the other night.

Unfortunately, it's just a collection of minor interface tweaks (power button on main metro screen, minimize metro apps to Desktop taskbar, etc.) and some performance enhancements for low-end tablets, mainly in the memory usage department. Update 1 is not really the patch most of us have been waiting for.

I feel like this quote from that article sums up Update 1 pretty well:

In any case, the horrible continues.

13. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

So, stick to 7 still.

14. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster enemy of time

Sounds like I'll eventually have to disable the charms bar, skydrive and that annoying popup. Does the annoying popup only happen when you do something with the DVD drive?

15. Al

Al Reaper

That's the only time I've seen it. Not really annoying as all versions of windows has some kind of autoplay popup.

16. NRG

NRG Master Console Hater

I only see that popup when I plug in media that the computer doesn't immediately recognize. e.g. a new flashdrive or disc. It doesn't even prompt with me my flash drive anymore, just goes straight to opening it.

17. rejecht

rejecht Attention Micronians

Based on your reply to me, you don't read up on a lot things. ;)

Autoplay example (earlier Metro style):
    http://www.wikihow.com/Change-Autoplay-Settings-in-Windows-8

Also, it can still be done through the Control Panel as with 7 and XP, and for different media types. It's most often a set and forget thing, though.

Other types of notifications can be disabled through Metro and most likely the registry.
    PC Settings Search and Apps
    Notifications

18. DarkED

I ended up installing SolydX on my netbook. It's pretty awesome :D

[​IMG]

19. Benfica

Benfica European Redneck

It's not directed to me, but I guess there is so much lemonade one feels worthwhile to make out of the Windows 8 lemon.

20. Renegade Retard

Renegade Retard Defender of the newbie

So, here's my summary of what I've got from this thread...

1) Windows 7 is a solid operating system
    2) Windows 8 is a solid operating system, as long as you install this, tweak that, get use to this thing, and squint while looking crossed-eyed at it to make it look/feel/operate like Windows 7.

So, I'm sticking with Windows 7. Thanks for the help, everyone!

;)