Will this run ut3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lost_Vengeance

May 22, 2008
Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
It could run the game, but it probably won't be anywhere near enjoyable for you. I'd guess that you'd get 15 fps at most on the majority of stock maps.

Lost_Vengeance

May 22, 2008
I currently play it on my desktop and runs really well
i dont really know much about ping and fps e.t.c
is 15 bad? would it actually be possible to play with that ?

what kind of fps would i get for my desktop: (just so i can can compare the two and see what kind of difference it would make)

intel core 2 duo 2140 @ 1.6GhHz
1 gig ram
NVidia GeForce 8500 GT

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
60 FPS? FPS changes when you look somewhere else. Looking directly at a wall will generate a huge amount of FPS and looking down Torlan with 30 bots playing bring the system almost to a halt. :p (at least it does here)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
With that laptop, you should get higher than 16 FPS depending on the LOD settings. It'll look like crap but plays okay. Personally, 30 FPS is unplayable for me. That laptop isn't meant for gaming but it should do it I suppose. I mean, I tried UT3 on a 6800, that laptop has a 7000. I don't know if the 7 Series for Notebook is suposed to shot a lot of juice for games.

Maybe someone here know about the 7 series for notebooks.

Last edited:

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
I currently play it on my desktop and runs really well
i dont really know much about ping and fps e.t.c
is 15 bad? would it actually be possible to play with that ?

what kind of fps would i get for my desktop: (just so i can can compare the two and see what kind of difference it would make)

intel core 2 duo 2140 @ 1.6GhHz
1 gig ram
NVidia GeForce 8500 GT

FPS is Frames Per Second, and it counts how many frames basically images) that the computer can render, well, every second. About 20 FPS is the lowest you can go without the human eye detecting interruption, any lower than that and a fast-paced shooter is unplayable and choppy.

That notebook might get you about 30 if you run on absolute minimum, in a window, at 640x480, and use the UT3 Tweaker to lower your settings even further. But at the same time, it'll probably have the same problems I had with my HP nx9420, where the laptop's video card would start to overheat and underclock itself to keep from cooking, thus lowering my FPS to unplayable levels.

akstylish

Keyboard Crasha
Jan 22, 2008
Here's a n00b question: why can't 3d programs render scenes as fast as games do even when models are low-poly?

Lost_Vengeance

May 22, 2008
thanks for the replies guys, greatly appreciated ;)

With that laptop, you should get higher than 16 FPS depending on the LOD settings. It'll look like crap but plays okay. Personally, 30 FPS is unplayable for me. That laptop isn't meant for gaming but it should do it I suppose. I mean, I tried UT3 on a 6800, that laptop has a 7000. I don't know if the 7 Series for Notebook is suposed to shot a lot of juice for games.

Maybe someone here know about the 7 series for notebooks.

it is mainly for school work and games with lower specs than ut3 but scince i have ut3 for my desktop i was just wondering if it would run on this just as an added bonus

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I think it will probably run, but I would not buy an AMD or a computer from HP. I would not buy a laptop either. Laptops are probably ideal for work, but I'm more of a gamer anyway.

[VaLkyR]Assassin

Kidneythieves and Poets of The Fall Fan
Jan 20, 2008
Blackpool, England, UK
valkyrgaming.com
An 8400MGS will be alot better than a 7000M, although things will still have to be set pretty low, but it'd probably possible to at least get playable framerates though with it. I've heard of people mentioning that they got it to run ok, albeit with options turned down. If the tweaker app is used it could probably be made to look acceptable.

[EDIT] I see you must live in the UK - might as well tell you about the laptop I got from Sainsbury's (only certain stores though) for the same £499.99 price: It's a Medion one with Core 2 Duo 1.67Ghz, 2GB RAM and an 8600M GS 512Mb, plus 17" widescreen. I've not tried UT3 on it yet, but it's bound to be a step closer towards a more acceptable performance/image quality compromise.

Last edited:

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
I think it will probably run, but I would not buy an AMD or a computer from HP. I would not buy a laptop either. Laptops are probably ideal for work, but I'm more of a gamer anyway.
There's nothing wrong with AMD... and the PC would be good for gaming if given a better graphics card.

Unfortunately with a better card you'd need better cooling, etc.

Sure Intel's chips are abundantly faster... but AMD's not down and out yet. They no doubt got a bunch of good stuff in the works.

Last edited: