Will the "when it's done" stance continue after E3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
I hope not. I also hope they finalize enough details so everyone has a basic understanding of the game. I also hope they release at least a demo with in the next 5 months, otherwise we'll see a game like Prey or something else take the spotlight in competitions, much like Painkiller did a couple of years ago. All I know is that if they do a repeat of last year as far as game development info goes, they're going to loose at least half the community, and they'd be extremely lucky to get half of one who left back. I can't play TAM for another year with out looking forward to anything, I'll go nutty.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
A winter release could spell demise for Ageia, with out a killer app for the PhysX card, it's just a paperweight.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Peoplre already shell out for SLI when they don't need it. I'll shell out for a PhysX card if it's actually worthwhile. If it's main use in UE3 is performance boosting and not extra sparkly graphics, it would be worthwhile. To me it just another card that improves the gaming experience, just like a sound card. Not every game will use the physics card, but then not every game uses EAX soundcard technology and I could just use my onboard audio.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
At least you can take advantage of a SLI-rig in any game.
With PhysX-card you're back to the pre-3dFx-days of praying a game will support one of those 3d-chipsets.

Biggest problem (besides game-support) is the fact that there's no competition for these cards (it's Ageia or nothing), so the prices are unlikely to drop until the card flops (at which time buying one will be stupid).

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
JaFO said:
At least you can take advantage of a SLI-rig in any game.
With PhysX-card you're back to the pre-3dFx-days of praying a game will support one of those 3d-chipsets.

Biggest problem (besides game-support) is the fact that there's no competition for these cards (it's Ageia or nothing), so the prices are unlikely to drop until the card flops (at which time buying one will be stupid).

There's plenty of games that actually perform worse with SLI setups, the game has to be programmed to take full advantage of SLI, or at the very least have a profile made by Nvidia to gain a minimal performance boost. It's not far from how Ageia will perform, either the game will use it or it won't. The good thing about Ageia is that UE3 uses it, that alone is a good chunk of future games, and there's rumors that Valve's Steam engine is following suit.

MuLuNGuS

Apr 14, 2005
ut2007(or whatever the name will be) will ship in the end of 2006 or @ the beginning of 2007 and i think teh demo wont't ship earlier then 2 weeks(lol) bevor.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
I'm indifferent how long this take to complete this once Epic make the best game they can possibly do and polish it to the max! The longer they leave it the better peoples computer will be generally, more people will be able to run it well, thats better for the community generally!

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
BeerGut said:
There's plenty of games that actually perform worse with SLI setups, the game has to be programmed to take full advantage of SLI, or at the very least have a profile made by Nvidia to gain a minimal performance boost.
That's nVidia ... you're better of with Ati's SLI-variant (Crossfire), which doesn't need 'special' settings.
And even if it performs worse ... it's only a driver-update away.

It's not far from how Ageia will perform, either the game will use it or it won't.
IMHO Ageia's performance should be questioned.
We've seen 'great' demo's of the Karma-engine before UT2kx was released.
In the end the engine proved too impractical to use in the 'real world'.

The good thing about Ageia is that UE3 uses it, that alone is a good chunk of future games, and there's rumors that Valve's Steam engine is following suit.
The bad thing is that they can't assume that everyone has that chipset.

Consider the fact that the first retail-versions of those cards sell at $200+ a piece I'd say it's a given.

As a result they can't take advantage of its feature-set and we won't see anything more complicated than current Karma-enabled features in UT2kx-maps.

I'd compare it to playing UT'99 with a Voodoo-card or with pure software-rendering.
It'll run, but you certainly won't like it unless you're mad enough to buy the hardware. And I seriously doubt reviews of UT2k7 can convince the *average* gamer that it's worth the money, unless there are some really good PhysX-enabled levels to play (on servers).

Last edited:

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
I think the implementation of the PhysX card will primarily be performance boosting, not effects. For instance, UT2007 running at 50fps vs. 70fps with a PhysX card. If all they're doing is adding eye candy switches in every game, they won't sell.