Will Infiltration turn into a lag war?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dano3000

Apr 28, 2000
Hick part of Arizona
lag is a problem to me
when ever i am playing a another game (i cant say CS because you'll flame me) i waist a clip on one guys head, and then i get cover to reload, i see the dead body flashing between aliva and dead, and then i see all the bullets i shot ricochet off the walls in front of me
dont call me stupid because 2 people were in that game, he and i. I have a cable modem also, and i did a msn speed test thingy right before playing and i was running 600k
so now i dont play cs at all and im waiting here solomly waiting for 2.85 (i check the page like 6 times a day!!!) in the mean time ill make myself do with Tactical Ops (oops now ill get flamed)
ahhh well, any way, i just hate lag :p

'We are the wakeful, wry and watchful. Were awaiting'

MP*Beretta

May 25, 2000
Hey folks, one can't always design a game based upon the lowest common denominator, right? If that were the case, we'd all still be playing Doom to keep the 486 users happy. Of course bandwidth, packet loss, latency and so on will effect the `playabilty' of the game. Those who can't afford a fast connection or find a fast server to connect to will just have to suck it up and deal. This is unfortunate, sure, but bitching about it won't fix the problem - the current situation of broadband rollout in your country/state/city/whatever.

Anyway... That all being said, current testing of Infiltration 2.85 has been very favourable. The team doesn't all have high speed connections. Fundamentally, we have had a good time online.

The above opinions are mine, and may not be the team concensus.

casull_inf.jpg

Commoner

Jan 4, 2001
www.webaxn.com
Let's get this milisecond thing clear.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well, what about bullet lag, thats basicly what lag is, right?
any way, i can not stand a ping over 170, thats almost 2 seconds of lag time, people say that because of INF's realizm, lag wont be a problem
i guess people dont get it but 4 shots 1 kill wont do crap if lag is at hand
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have got to be kidding on this one. Ping is measured in miliseconds. What does "mili" stand for? It stands for 1000. Correct me if I'm wrong but I've always assumed that this meant that there is 1000 milisconds in 1 second. So if that is correct 170 ms ping would mean that it takes on average .17 seconds for a packet to get from the client to the server and from the server back to the client. (Ping is not a measure of how long it takes your packet to get to the server but how long it takes before you get the response from the server).

I've played quite well on alot of servers from which I get 170 ms ping. Yes you have a distinct disadvantage to people with lower ping but only if you're used to playing with low pings. However, if you learn to adapt to the lag, 170 ms is not at all that big of a disadvantage. Some people even play better at these kind of pings than on very low pings because they have learned to anticipate how the lag will affect their movements and their firing. This is all of course based on Unreal Tournament. Some games just handle ping so badly that you will time out and get out of sync easily even on a LAN.

In conclusion Net Code is important, but I believe that Infiltration won't really need to mess around too much with Unreal Tournaments Netcode. In addition, unless there are things that will cause flooding of information (ie. sending information on where each fragment of a grenade actually falls <if there are alot of them> instead of handling this client-side, I don't think the change in code from Infiltration will mess the Net Code up enough to make a noticable difference. In fact, I would think that it should be a bit better than Unreal Tournament (since there are no multiple rockets, ammo, explosive blobs, etc. to keep track of during the game).

But then again, that's just my opinion. :p

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Damn Commoner, you beat me to it :)

I find the INF netcode the best Ive ever seen. Its by far the best netcode for HPB's.

LordKhaine

Lord_Bunker

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
i still like avp. the aliens rock when you got a bad ping. they'll only show up monmentarily. so you'll see them at one end of the room, then the other. then you see somebody get ripped apart. it relly balances the ping to have somthing like that that acctually has an advantage whith a higher ping.

firetatanka.jpg

FEAR!

Why not broadband?

Phatcat, you said, ". IMO the only people I really see with crappy pings are weekend gamers, and those who don't have the means for broad band. if you are hardcore, you will be running broadband."

You forgot another explanation, some people don't have access to broadband. I would love to have DSL or cable, but the best I can get where I live is I$DN (yes, it's very expensive for a measly 128K that never performs nearly up to that during busy times like weekday evenings). I won't have the option for anything faster for probably another year.

Regarding the discussion about whether a slow ping is a disadvantage: I used to have DSL (moved to my present location a year ago and was very disappointed to learn there was no DSL or cable here). So, I used to play with a fairly reliable ping of around 100 - 130. I am now, for the past year, playing with a ping that ranges from 120 (at 4 AM, very sweet) to 600 or worse (weekday evenings), and I can see a big difference in my scores. When you give up 100 ms or more to your opponent, he can see you before you can see him. If you are already taking a fatal wound before you even see the person who came around a corner and shot you, that's a huge disadvantage. Stealth and skill can make up for some of it, but given two players of EQUAL SKILL but significantly different pings, the lower ping player will usually win.

-- Vipe --
viper.jpg

-- LIVE FREE OR DIE --

Lord_Bunker

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
from my house in the boonies all that's available is modem. and it'll only run at 28k. i've tried 56 but the phone service is overloaded and it becomes to unstable. I'd even take a 56k if i could i've got a 56k modem but like i said dosn't do me much good. i'm not about to move eiteher.

firetatanka.jpg

FEAR!

sdOK

Adept
Oct 12, 2000
whats the problem?

Iv played SF and Tacops on the net loads and as long as my ping has been less than 300 i have no problems to speak of. I think your all worrying about nothing. Of course i envy LPB but it matters little in the heat of battle. You get a spike and get killed. big deal your back in next round.
Oh and i have many times had me and my brother sharing my puny 56k over the LAN and playing net games at the same time both with 250 pings.

LordKhaine

Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Ut is THE best 56K netcode have ever seen. It pings better than every other game on my 56K (on both modems Ive had), and it plays better than all other fps'ers with a high ping.

LordKhaine

sdOK

Adept
Oct 12, 2000
Thats the truth Khaine.
I also played the weekly war server test the other night and we played extreme prejudice with 2.75 and beside the fact it was one of the best maps iv ever played online my ping was stable as it is on any other map and i had an enjoyable game.
56k can get you by if thats all you have.
But im still counting the days till NTL make cable available in my area(about 3 months).

LordKhaine

Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Im happy with my 56K right now. Which is a good thing cos it looks like its gonna be a long time till ADSL or cable gets to my town :(

LordKhaine

S

-Snakebite-

You always will be at a disadvantage with a low quality connection. But as said above, the same applies to having a bad PC.
And the first point about lagging the high speed connections ot even up the game is a bad idea to say the least. Usually these people pay a lot of money for there connection and would not put up with being lagged so people without the decent connections have a fair game.
If you want to be at an advantage with the LPB's, you'll have to sort yourself out with the relevent connection.
I find CS (HL) to have the best netcode for modem users (trusting the client really anoys LPB's), once you figure out how to set up all the command line options for your connection.

[121st]Burton

full-auto SIG abuser
Feb 7, 2000
I have got DSL and played recently TO with various pings.
With a ping of about 600 it was not playable, but everythings < 250 is okay and runs fine.
I don't know if you can compare TO and INF (in an online code way), but even with rather high pings it was okay. AND I think, that the INF-team had enough time to get things right.

seal.jpg

Party's over ! *grin*

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
"a man has got to know his limits"

A LPB will have an advantage over a High Ping 'Loser', but that's only if you are equally skilled players or relatively new. An experienced 56ker (ie someone who has gotten used to the 'lag') is more than a match for any LPB as long as the lag isn't that bad.
I've been fragged by people with a crappier ping (400-500 for example) just because they were better players than me.

Either get used to this (initial) disadvantage or find a server with either a better ping or players with a ping more equal to yours.

Punishing the LPB's so that they have the same lag as the 56kers is bad. We pay for our fast connection. You might as well introduce waitstates in the game because someone with an ultrafast (expensive) cpu/graphics card/whatever might have an advantage over your crappy pc.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It is not the lag, but packetloss that really kills you ...[/quote]
As long as the lag is relatively stable it is possible to get used to it.
Packetloss (which even affects us LPB's) is worse, because you can never compensate for missing information.

- Hindsight is always 20/20 -