1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Will Epic guarantee the elimination of cheating in 2k7?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by UBL, Jun 12, 2005.

1. UBL

UBL New Member

We hear how instant action and single player are being emphasized with regard to current UDN efforts.

We see stunning graphics and more I candy than most any gamer could want.

Recent press releases on and before the E3 convention reference how Epic is “In Touch” with the “Community” by lurking in forums.

I have not been able to find a forum operated by the OEM’s (Epic, Miday, or the UDN) that even remotely cared about customer input, nor have received a survey request.

I hear the rationale that 2k4 participation is diminishing because of other FPS such as CSS and COD. While no one mentions how the real reason is that cheating is rampant and is truly the main reason.

Speed hacks, aim bots, radar cheats are now evolving faster than the game itself. It has evolved past anything to do with .ini files or UT system folder enhancements, even beyond extended console commands. We now see such craftiness where windows accelerators are used as an external application set to a bind key and where hax can be toggled on and off.

Epic even states how 2k4 was less than what they really wanted to produce. Where are the quality assurance values?

Maybe, 2k4 was a quick and dirty to generate the cash cow needed for 2k7 development, again void of player input, but no one would want to think such a bad thought that the customer base was bamboozled.

I am a die hard UT player that will remain in game as hundreds of severs remain empty.

I am a hopeful, but not a satisfied customer.

Or

What can we reasonably expect?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2005
  2. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

Why did you post the same question 11 times?

It just doesn't make sense.

I mean, is once not enough to get your point across?

To answer the question: No. It's impossible.

You said it yourself that cheats were getting so technological it really has nothing to do with the game anymore.

Cheating is just one of the reasons for crap player counts. It is a factor, but certainly not the factor.

They do need some cheat protection instead of relying on the community, which is something they do too much.

3. BooGiTyBoY

BooGiTyBoY The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR

No game will ever be free of h4x no matter what any company can promise.

I think it's less up to a company to make sure there's "anti-cheat" measures and more up to them to make a game that's fun and enjoyable enough that noone will want to use teh h4x in the first place. ;)

But let us all hope and pray they don't use something as silly as punkbuster for 2k7 :eek: :D

This one here makes me laugh as both those games have a much higher % of h4x and h4ckerz than any Unreal series game ever had.
    I say LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL to you on that.

Where exactly did you get an idea like this from? 2k4 is a little more than a "quick and dirty cash cow". Also where do you think they got half the ideas for 2k4? Oh yeah... PLAYER INPUT AFTER 2k3.
    Once again I LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL at you.

That's because they don't NEED one. Enough Epic employees DO lurk on these forums and a few other popular UT communities and the players themselves are the ones usually coming up with the polls and feedback that they DO pay attention to. To think that Epic doesn't care about customer input has got to be one of the most ignorant statements I've ever seen on this forum.

4. thatcher

thatcher New Member

Probably true, but can anyone truly say that Epic has done all they can to combat cheats in UT? Its a sad indictment that third party developers had to step up to this particular plate.

Considering Epic's code is vulnerable to cheats, why wouldn't they take on the development of a third-party security product and build it into regular updates of the game? The answer, of course, is because they don't need to since we all bought the game already and they are clearly not that honorable. So pathetic. Why did the original poster ask his main question 11 times? Looks to me like its a question worth asking and Epic have failed to deliver up to now.

Might also agree that cheats are not the main reason for decline in UT popularity to other shooters. No doubt it is a component. Again, at this point, who would expect Epic to care that so many people no longer play a game that they paid for? We gave them our money ages ago and they don't care what game we choose to play right now.

5. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

100% completely agreed with Boogity there. CCS and COD are hackers paridise....

also agreeing with you there thatcher, congrats on your first post, glad it wasn't like UBLs...... (n00b style post)

6. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

I agree that they could do much much more to combat cheating.

I totally disagree that they do not listen to what we are saying about their product. I know for a fact that they do.

I completely disagree with your assertion that UT2004 numbers are dwindling due to cheats. Boogity summed it up pretty well. Plus, the fact that most servers are either passworded or running community-based anti-cheats keeps UT2004 from being a breeding-ground for hackers.

Your idea that UT2004 is a "quick and dirty cash-cow" is very suspicious. You sound more like someone who has an axe to grind than someone who is very concerned about cheating. There's nearly double the content of UT2003 in UT2004, including a new gametype that is carrying online numbers. Considering the tremendous amount of work that Epic, DE, Streamline, Psyonix, and all of the contracted mappers put into the game, calling it a "quick and dirty cash-cow" is a slap in the face to that tremendous effort. Not to mention the fact that the game debuted at a discount price. How can you possibly complain about that, barring an ulterior motive?

7. BooGiTyBoY

BooGiTyBoY The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR

I'd say it's more because they failed miserably at doing it in 2k3 and they knew the community itself would do a much better job. Why try to institute something you just aren't any good at when others will step up to the plate and fill in where it needs?

UT has always had a very strong emphasis on the community and the community has always lent it's support and talent to the game series in return.

I don't think it's so much a "they are too lazy to do it, and leave it up to the community/players to take care of themselves."

I think it's more like "We know the community may have different views of what they want for anti-cheat, so let them make their own which we know they are going to do anyway" kind of stance.

Look at Punkbuster. There's games I flat out REFUSE to play just because it uses that P.O.S. sorry excuse for anti-cheat. I'd much rather get kicked off a UT server for using a custom voice-pack cuz of anti-tcc which works 10x better than to have to deal with a program that slows down my system and does absolutely nothing to stop the most popular h4x. :lol:

8. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

It'd be nice if Epic could either come up with their own anti-cheat system or buy the rights from Wormbo for TCC. It is annoying, but at least it works most of the time. They need something, though. The fact that demo servers run without cheat protection is dumb. They probably left their own system out because they didn't want to resort to Punk[not]Buster.

The thing you must realize, UBL, is that Epic does NOT make their money from game sales. Their money comes from licensing their engine. You obviously don't have a clue what you're babbling about.

9. Discord

Discord surveying the wreckage...

They had one for UT2k4, it was called UTSecure. Everybody immediately scoffed at it though, and decided they'd rather flame Wormbo instead. I'd say Epic dodged a bullet on that one.

And yeah, asking Epic to guarantee the elimination of cheating is like asking them to guarantee it'll never rain on saturday and to provide each customer with their very own time machine with 10 proofs of purchase...

You gotta forgive UBL, I've seen him around before and he has an, uh... "enthusiastic" rhetorical style to say the least :lol:. He used to run a really nice iCTF server though... :tup:

10. BITE_ME

BITE_ME Bye-Bye

If people are cheating in a game. I just leave.

PS. All cheaters have a small wee wee, that fires blanks. Because God (EPIC) will not let them breed. :D

11. Ghost3021

Ghost3021 Registered Hobbit

^^^ What bite me said

12. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

Cheaters already switched to harrassing (former) anti-cheat coders on IRC because they (the cheaters) can't cut it ingame anymore. :D (even with most servers running only an "outdated" Anti TCC cheat protection, I might add!)

13. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

*ahem* UT2kx was published by Atari.
    They had/have the official forums for the series and they used them for the MSUC-contest.
    What Midway wants to do is still vague at this point in time.

// What can we reasonably expect?
    Epic doing all they can possibly do to walk the fine line between easy access to custom content and cheat-protection.
    So far they've done a great job.
    Also note that since doesn't make a profit beyond the sale of their game there's no reason for them to support us at all. Yet still they've delivered more support than most companies have done ...

So anyone that expects 24/7 cheat-protection is deluding themselves.
    That kind of stuff can only be delivered by a pay-to-play service (which fps's aren't) and the volunteers in the community (which Wormbo & co do already).

IMHO the impact of cheaters on multiplayer-games in general is overrated.
    It's not the cheaters that are damaging the games.
    It's the overzealous witch-hunters that do the real damage to a game's on-line experience. Like the cheaters themselves these people have a small wee wee that fires blanks as well.

14. Kyllian

Kyllian if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;

I'll give you one simple answer to your single question repeated too many fscking times!!

NO!

They can't guarantee that 2k7 will be cheat free because it is impossible to make it cheat-free.
    Guaranteeing 2k7 will be cheat free is like guaranteeing world peace will be achieved tomorrow
    They would have to completely lock down 2k7's code, eliminating custom content and reducing the User.Ini to simply keyboard binds and no aliases
    They'd probably have to encrypt the piss out of the game as well, and even then there's no guarantee.

Like I've said, the only way to protect your content is to never release it.

And get this thru that thick skull of yours: Cheating is not rampant. I've played fairly regularly(and there's others that spend almost all their free time playing) and the last time I saw a cheater was during the demo phase of 2k4.
    Hi, welcome to the past, please proceed to the present.
    The speed-hack with the accelerators has been fixed in retail 2k4(you just need to play on patched servers instead of demo servers)
    Then go back to UT
    If you're not a "satisfied customer" fine, don't buy 2k7, we sure as hell won't miss you

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  15. Killavirus

Killavirus New Member

i have also never seen a cheat (but i secretly call all of the people better than me cheats)

and what really get on my nerves is when these cheats call themselves Hackers !!!!!!!

This is an insult i would never ever ever consider myself anywhere near their level, their is alot more to hacking than running a program.

16. edhe

edhe ..dadhe..

2k4 is suprisingly cheat free, from what i've seen.

The thing that people think is, being newbies more than anything, that everyone's cheating because they're so good compared to them. Fact is it's just the learning curve.

2k4 isn't big enough to attract massive cheaters anymore it's too niche. I have seen about 3 bots so far in 2k4, and all on demo servers with no cheat protection (which, admittedly, it should be up to wormbo to make (thanks go to wormbo, saviour of online 2k4 pub-gaming)).

17. EL BOURIKO

EL BOURIKO New Member

I have seldom seen cheaters myself but i have seen some and that was some few too much (I even have a list of names of so called "players" who even admitted to be cheaters while playing online!!!).

here is my first very naive question?
    (hey!! don t laugh at me guys if the answer is obvious and known all over the community, because i don t know the answer myself :S Answer me instead)
    What does Epic do when they catch someone who is cheating??
    (As to me I would break their balls off before firing them for life from any UT servers)

And here is the second part of my question:
    What will Epic do in the next UT when they catch someone who is cheating??

here is my last point. As to me, I would like to know if such thing is technically possible and in a way politically correct? i was thinking to have a button in each server that would ask Epic to check instantly any player you suspect to be a cheater. if the player is clean then it s fine, if not then Epic can track this IP a while to know what s wrong with the player and to know how to deal the suspected player.

18. Killavirus

Killavirus New Member

Well most people get their game id banned for life unless they can prove otherwise

19. edhe

edhe ..dadhe..

Then they change ID being installing another Warezed Key.

\o/

20. Killavirus

Killavirus New Member

sad but true

so yes of course they will Promise there will be no cheating in ut2007 and if you can prove there is cheating they will hand over a free copy of their game to you