1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wii U announced.

Discussion in 'Games' started by KillerSkaarj, Jun 7, 2011.

1. dragonfliet

dragonfliet I write stuffs

They launched the Wii claiming to have lots of third party support from Ubi to EA, things like the COD games, etc. Additionally, they bumped up from the Gamecube level graphics to Xbox level graphics.

Six years later, they're launching the Wii U claiming to have lots of third party support with things like the COD games, etc. Additionally they bumped up from the Wii level graphics to Xbox 360 level graphics.

The only things that have changed are 1) they have finally realized that the internet is apparently a big thing and 2) instead of coming out a few months AFTER the next generation of graphics/processing, they are coming out a year or two before.

They haven't announced a single thing that shows any real commitment to the hardcore or third parties (they'll port some games that will be stale by the time they come out. Not exactly a strong showing) and they are still playing catch up on the graphics front, not moving forward.

I don't see how this is in any way an apology or making up for past mistakes. It looks to me like they are doing pretty much the same thing as before with mildly different rhetoric. It very well could be that the Wii U actually has better third party support and that it will somehow, magically be a much, much better looking system than anything they've shown thus far, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

No one here came out swinging about how it sucks, except to address your unbridled optimism about how they are fixing all of their mistakes. I don't seem them doing this at all. It will be a fine system (and the Wii is a fine system) and yes it does look better (as the Wii did) and Nintendo will continue to make great games that will be worth playing, but until they actually show something other than a tech demo that looks as generic and as good as the tech demos shown by MS and Sony six and seven years ago, there is nothing to say that anything has changed other than a mild bump in the timeline.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  2. KillerSkaarj

KillerSkaarj Art for swans is dope!

I don't remember that, but they sure as hell got a lot of third-party support from Ubi. Frankly the games were shitty dance games, minigame compilations and those goddamn rabbits, but the games were there. Honestly I wished Ubisoft would've just left Nintendo alone.

They didn't just claim, they outright said "these are some of the games you can expect and they just lsited off a couple of third party games like Darksiders II and Arkham City. Honestly the fact the third parties are actually bothering to port these games to Wii U should be proof enough that it's getting better 3rd-party support but apparently that's not enough.

There are a LOT more changes than that. Like the one point I've been trying over and over again to get you guys to realize, more support for hardcore players. Nintendo said themselves they are aiming for a deeper gameplay experience and to a wider audience. Hell, "deeper and wider" were the two words they uttered throughout their entire conference, ignoring all childish jokes you could make.

Of course they haven't announced anything, prior to E3 we didn't even know the console's name. They're not going to announce anything like that this early. And again, if these third parties are willing to port their games to Wii U so late into their development, that should be proof enough.

I can tell you didn't watch the conference.

Optimism? More like high-expectations. Nintendo has done some incredible things in their past. I have high-hopes that Nintendo can turn this around and cease their current status as the laughingstock of the gaming world and win back the audience that they have ignored for so long.

You're making extreme judgements based on a system we have only just now seen. From just a couple of tech demos you've already deduced that the third-party support will be weak. You could say the same for my high-expectations, sure, but there's no reason to doubt a company that 26 years ago brought the gaming industry from the brink of death, and me beign a Nintendo fan, I don't doubt Nintendo's ability to do anything.

Ugh, why am I even bothering? All of this arguing is making me look like I'm trying to get everyone to believe "OMG NINTENDO'S THE GREATEST."

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  3. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

They got a lot of third party games, but that doesn't actually translate to third party support. Crap games that simply don't sell are not good for Nintendo at all.
    Did they actually name drop specific games? I know they said there would be "an Assassin's Creed game" which could just mean an AC tie-in where you throw knives at carnival boards. They haven't showed anything real, and very few games have actually been announced, so there is no telling what this means.
    They have said that 4 out of the last 5 years of E3 expos for the Wii. Has anything improved? No. The burden of proof, unfortunately, lies with Nintendo here. Their last two consoles have been great, but not geared toward hardcore gamers.
    We don't even know if they ARE willing to actually port the games to the Wii U as opposed to making cheap tie-in games.
    I can tell you didn't watch the conference.

... :con:
    Most of us have had our expectations set by the past decade of Nintendo. Can you blame us for being pessimistic? Nothing they said in their conference was any different than what they've been saying about the Wii for a while now, and they have yet to make any reparations there. The fact that as soon as the next MS/Sony generation starts they will be a generation behind again just leads credence to the fact that the next generation of consoles will look pretty much like this one.

4. ilkman

ilkman The Outcast God

I think the graphics limit is done on purpose to curb costs and price the console low. ...or so they can save money and dump all that savings into their weird controller that some say still looks piss yellow and is only a resistive screen while everyone else is past that.

They have a custom AMD/ATI graphics chip in the Wii U but supposedly it's only as good as current gen?

Nintendo is a pretty big company so I'm sure they can do just like Sony and MS and go talk to AMD/ATI or nVidia and get some newer latest gen blazing fast custom gpu/cpu/apu/whatever to dump into the Wii U and blow everything out of the water.

Why don't they?

Or maybe they already have one and they're just being a bunch of douches by not releasing specs.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  5. dragonfliet

The same reason they did the exact same thing with the Wii. It also had a custom built ATI gpu and an IBM cpu, and it also was only as powerful as an xbox (despite being a generation ahead of it). Why don't they make something powerful? They aren't interested in making something that pushes the limits, they're interested in selling copies of Mario, Zelda, Kirby and Pokemon. That's it. Third party support is icing on the cake, it's a little bit of extra revenue, but they want to make money on hardware (which they did with the Wii) and they want to make money on their first party games. If something else sells, it's a bonus, but doesn't seem to be their imperative.

6. Slainchild

Slainchild Gold Member

Graphics capability doesn't matter.

The worst thing developers (or even Nintendo) can do for the Wii U will be straight up ports of 360/PS3/PC games. The system is coming out late 2012, most if not all of the games they've (tentatively) announced from 3rd party developers will be out by the end of 2011 on existing platforms.

So, you'll be expected to buy a whole new console to play games that have already been available for over a year (Batman, Assassins Creed, Darksiders 2, EA Sports, etc) -- except oh wait, it'll have the inventory and weapon selections on the touch screen now.

Who are these people that are hardcore Nintendo fans, but also hardcore enough Sony/MS fans too, who want a single system that will play all their favorite franchises on, with a non-standard controller? Not sure that market exists.

I can see a lot of potential for NEW unique games on the system from 3rd party developers using the new touch interface and whatnot. If that kind of initiative is taken, and provided the games are good, it could tempt me. I just don't see that realistically happening at launch, or indeed a year down the line. By then, the next Sony and MS consoles should have been announced and the Wii U will only come out of the closet for the odd Zelda or Mario romp.

Sound familiar?

7. Sir_Brizz

8. ilkman

ilkman The Outcast God

I'd say it's different this time. With the Wii they were not focused on graphics but were trying to sell it based on it's novelty control scheme.

This time, with the Wii U, I get the impression that they are trying to actually make a conscious effort, or at least give the impression of a conscious effort, to make and market a console with a better graphics capability, along with a new novelty control scheme, and reach the hard core audience. So if that is the case then why go with last gen hardware?

That isn't to say that the Wii U is graphically incapable with its gpu but, in comparison to what will be the new Microsoft and Sony consoles, I think it's almost safe to assume it will be behind the curve.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  9. dragonfliet

I pretty much agree. Yes, they're trying to change things up a little bit and they rhetoric is a little bit more on graphical capability (though one that is playing catchup to 2005 and while the reports are that it is a little more powerful than the 360/ps3, it doesn't look to be by much) and third party support; but they're still using decidedly dated hardware that will leave them behind (power-wise) when the new systems launch. Things are a little different, but not substantially, it seems, from what they did with the Wii (and the fact that the name is simply a progression of the Wii seems not a coincidence). I also think that Slainchild is on the ball as to the potential of the system and the probable final destination. We'll see, though.

10. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

Article seems dubious.

Watson was an AI experiment, intended to interpret natural language questions and give correct answers. It has nothing to do with a processor architecture and it's not very likely IBM are going to use the same name for two different products.

You won't find any R770 in the 4890, because there's no such thing as an R770.

The 4890 was built on the RV790. If it is based on this line of architectures then it's most likely to be based on the RV790GT, because it has a smaller form factor and lower production cost (ergo, similar to the 4860).

In any case, the 4860 is still more than a match for what presently resides in my gaming PC right here, which performs more than adequately and merrily outperforms consoles despite having to run everything on top of windows.

11. dragonfliet

12. Sir_Brizz

It's worse than my $100 card. :) But that does it for a song, too.

13. ambershee

If you do a 'find' that article, the term 'R770' does not appear. That's because it's an RV770 - RV to avoid confusion with R700 (aka Spartan).

14. ambershee

It'll sell in droves, since it's the first new home console in five years (potentially on sale before MS and Sony's have even been announced) and will have a suitably approachable price point. The time gap there alone means they'll probably ship units independantly of the MS/Sony rivalry market to people who will eventually end up also buying a nextbox or Ps4.