1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Why your nic?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by erehwoN, Aug 13, 2001.

1. erehwoN

erehwoN The Bass Ackwards BTL

We all know eachother by our nics in these here forums. I was wondering why everyone chose the one they did. Does it have some deep personal meaning? Is is something you are obsessed with (Chronic, Dank ;) )? Me, I chose erehwoN because it is the title of a book my Engish teacher was talking about once and I thought it sounded cool. No, I am not dyslexic, except sometimes I think I might have a mild case of it. I also chose that because I am in Wyoming. It is not the end of the earth, but you can definitely see it from here. After I chose this nic, I noticed that in the movie Face/Off, that is the prison in the ocean that Cage is sent to. Just killin' some time before I have to go to work, and thought it would be interesting to see why we all chose the names we did. Explain if you want to.:)

2. ramon

ramon Junior Member

nah, i just dont like putting a different name than mine, however i have to admit that i saw some hilarious ones. -=WeeD=- coz im in clan WeeD http://clanweed.clanpages.com

3. Domino

Domino < Phoenix Rising >

Domino is purely my idea, I made it my official online nickname back in '94 or '96 when I was playing Legos a long long time ago.

I still have the black and white lego figure that started it all... it's a bit old but still in-tact. It sits on my computer most of the time.

I tried to choose a name that wasn't corny like DeAthMaChine2321, and not purely comical nor purely serious. That's about it.

4. Ballistophobia

Ballistophobia Hedonistic Forum Panacea

Ballistophobia = fear of bullets

5. Eacthr

Eacthr TheCursor

Eacthr

Beats the hell out of me!

I dunno, you guess.

6. Mad_Dog

Mad_Dog Voice Of Reason

i saw it stencilled on a korean war tank in a book i bought when i was about ten... i've been using it in every computer game ever since.

7. LifesBane(4Corners)

LifesBane(4Corners) Active Member

I think it was a mixture of reasons.

I was moving on from my Macintosh / AOL days. I used a lot of names in Marathon, like Rabid Granny (remember that one, Kibble? heheh). With AOL, it was MarathonIN for a while. Got a PC and things had to change. I was reading batman at the time and someone was named Bane in there. And I think maybe I was partially inspired by the Unreal1 bot, Bane. And then, when subscribing to Heat.net...LifesBane was born =P

8. ragingsamster

ragingsamster oldfartis nongratis

RagingSamster is my Barb in DiabloII up until that time (pre-inf) I went by the moniker TransAmSam

9. Mr. HotDog

Mr. HotDog [Insert Text Here]

Mr. HotDog

I had to register for something (cant remember what) and on the site I had to fill out a forum. It asked all these personal questions. Like my name, my address, phone number and so on. Anyway when I got to the name part i didn't want to give my real name. At the moment I was enjoying a tasty hotdog (its so damn hard to type and eat at the same time :p ) so I just filled in "Hot" for the first name and "Dog" for the last. And chose the "Mr." option. When I finished registering it brought me to a page and at the top it said "Thank you Mr. Hot Dog for registering" or something like that. And so, I guess the name just stuck with me.

10. phatcat

phatcat akward cat

umm... I like anime, and furry art. I also am a big(phat) guy, so I picked phatcat.

used to be the_HUNTER for a LONG time, but changed it back in early 2000 to phatcat :)

the_HUNTER had some good times connected to it, but I do like my name change. (yes I'm the same the_HUNTER who was a mapper for Action Quake 2)

11. NotBillMurray

NotBillMurray It's Suntory Time!

While playing Q1 in the desert, some guys said "You're like some kind of monk or something". I've been using just monk from then (96) until 1999. Then I ran into all kinds of monks, like Mad Monk etc, so I figured some additional nomenclature was necessary. Hence, the Zero.

12. sublime

sublime Cynic

Me.

sublime adj. a. lofty, grand, or exalted in thought, expression, or manner. b. of outstanding spiritual, intellectual, or moral worth. c. tending to inspire awe usually because of an elevated quality (as of beauty, nobility, or grandeur) or transcendent excellence.

Sounds like me, doesn't it?

No, I didn't get it from the damned band. I was sublime before they were. Hmm, I think I'll use that definition for my sig now.

13. Kibbles-N-Bits

Kibbles-N-Bits New Member

Christ... you just HAD to go and ask didn't you? Well, back in the days of Unreal it was Gibs. Which changed to Gibbles... which became Gibbles-N-Bits. Then I grew up and realized how dumb that sounds... so it became Kibbles-N-Bits. I use that name in every game, whether it be on- or off-line.

Bane: RABID GRANNY! Kill the bob kill the bob!

14. Donnellizer

Donnellizer Fjæsing!

Alright. My real last name is Donnelly. Made the connection? Good.

The name I usually use is Darkshade but recently I started using this name. I used to use Jim_Hawking occasionaly.

15. DeadEyeNick

DeadEyeNick New Member

I dunno why "derailer", but I wanted to play Unreal Tournament, and I need a name...

16. ElectricSheep

ElectricSheep Tommy Vegas

If you recognize the guy in the sig, you already know part of the story.

Most people just call me 'sheep' ('that damn sheep' is quite popular as well). I used to run around with an 'OOM' extensions that stood for "Only One Man". I picked that up a year or so ago. All of my other teammates had been killed, and as I proceeded to gun down three of the hapless enemy attempting to make an ambush their already deceased teammate exclaimed "Jesus Christ, guys! He's only one man!".

17. })FA|Snake

})FA|Snake New Member

Well my father is a gamer and he introduced me to gaming and his name was "Viper" so i used Snake, its been my nick since i was like 6, I started using Snake13 in forums because Snake was always taken, I just recently have been using snake13 in games because

a)it keeps things consistent
    b)it makes me a little more original
    c)snake was taken in tribes2
    d) NOONE WILL F*CKING ASK ME IF I AM SOLID SNAKE!!!!!!!!!!

18. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Dealer of Death

Well...

Originally, I was known online as Spooky. The only problem with that was - that there was someone online already under the name SPooKY (note the capitals there). So both of us was out there. I never really posted back then - but when I did - actually in a thread similar to this - he spoke up (in a good way) and we determined that he had SPooKY way before I had my Spooky. :(

So I needed to change my name...so looking around for a while - I remembered a pin I bought at an army/navy surplus store that had a skull in a beret that was on a playing card with the words: Dealer of Death.

That title sounded a little long...so I moved it around and called myself - DeathDealer. It sounded ok to me...so that is what I stuck with. :D

19. DeadeyeDan[ToA]

DeadeyeDan[ToA] de oppresso liber

Mine was originally a hunting nickname... it stuck, and now it's my standard handle for nearly every game.

/me sighs a reminiscent sigh.

I remember the good ole' days when we'd have an age or nickname poll at least every week. Nah, come to think of it, that was annoying. ;)

20. Eliwar

Eliwar -

_-_

well I was like 10 or 12 and I was reading a book (probably a Sword of Shannara book or something) and it featured the word "liege" which I thought was cool at the time. So when it was time to sign up for email, games, and crap I decided to use it. But liege couldn't be used alone so I used the everpresent prefix "dark" to liven up the name. Hence, darkliege was born, the evil king or whatever. I've had this dumb name forever now, tried 3 or 4 times to get rid of it, but like a curse, it just keeps coming back.