1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Why there still no 'true' assault-style maps?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by ne_skaju, Sep 5, 2008.

1. SirYawnalot

SirYawnalot Slapping myself in the face

I actually found UT2004's Assault much more fun than the original (I know I'm in a bit of a minority among AS fans there though), and for the first six months or so it was actually pretty damn popular online. But there's only so many times you can play six maps, and Epic didn't really support it - they shared the community's trepidation about braving the extreme complication of building launch-quality Assault maps.

2. Wail of Suicide

Wail of Suicide Member

Team Fortress 2 does Assault pretty well, from what I've seen.

Instead of having to learn a whole new set of rules for every assault map (and also, as a mapper, dealing with creating that set of rules) you just have a cart and some tracks. Push the cart, get to the checkpoint for additional time or to unlock new spawn locations. Confrontations naturally occur around the cart; there's visible degrees of progress based on the location of the cart and not just some abstract HUD icon.

Basically, assault, but simplified enough to be fun to the masses, and reasonable to map for.

3. JohnDoe641

JohnDoe641 Killer Fools Pro Staff Member

I agree with that. I liked 2k4 Assault better than UT assault mainly for the less extent of exploits, there were still a lot in 2k4 Assault but not as prevalent as UT Assault. There were actually a handful of good custom maps for 2k4's Assault that we played in the Lobster Assault Mixer. Me, raffi, kank, berto, hawk, we learned the maps and began to really like them, we practiced and learned them so well that we managed to beat the previous champions and we won the mixer. I hadn't really had that much fun in a game since CTF in UT. I think that people who don't like Assault dislike it because they don't know what they're doing and how intricate the maps are. Zoning defense, all that stuff takes time to learn and appreciate.

I'd love to see UT3 have Assault in it, and no, I don't think WAR is anything like Assault. :p

4. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

Exactly!!!

If people want "true" assault style maps, they shouldn't make threads complaining about it but use their initiative, go make one and get the ball rolling!!

5. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

You act like it's simple to do that.

Why don't you go make one for them instead of complaining about them? :)

6. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

He probably has no interest in it, as the post he quoted indicated.

7. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

Hey, I'm not making threads complaining about it. Infact, I'm not terribly interested in it at all but I have before suggested possible ways it could be implemented in plenty of threads before. That's atleast better than than merely crying about it and expecting it to drop into you lap from space.

Having Warfare with a singlecore, a countdown and nodes activated/locked by completing linked objectives is a possible way to do it.

8. Beelzebud (Satanas)

Beelzebud (Satanas) New Member

Assault was always one of those funny game types. People LOVED the IDEA of it, but it was never implemented properly, and even when the UT series was in it's heyday, it was the least played game type, even under Domination...

9. UnrealGrrl

UnrealGrrl Enemy flag carrier is Her!

well theres no assault gametype so....

and yaknow its funny as much as ppl say they loved assault. no one played it, it was dead (yes i know there were little cliques of players). so what did anyone expect? assault died after ut99, and it was on life support even then. (no, a small hardcore group of players doing race maps doesnt count)

as far as no one playing custom stuff.. well there is hardly any custom stuff out for UT3 (by comparison to previosus UTs) at least there are a decent amount of custom maps out, (still not like the old daze) but hopefully the MSUC will bring more :)

i already have 40+ maps on the CTF server i just started and custom maps always get picked - yay ;)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008