1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

why oh why!?

Discussion in 'Level Editing - Advanced' started by bobtheking, Dec 24, 2001.

1. bobtheking

bobtheking Monkey in a bucket

after i rebuild the geometry in the level, it freezes and dosen't draw anything in any of the views, how do i fix it??? if i can't, i will kill someone!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Chrysaor

Chrysaor Lord of the Pants

Are you building the BSP and Geometry or just the little cube button?

3. bobtheking

it happens on both buttons

4. Bot_40

Bot_40 Go in drains

Does it get stuck while it's actually doing the rebuild of after?
    If it's during the rebuild, what stage does it get stuck on?

What you could do is open the log, then start the rebuild and see if any error msgs come up that could give you a clue.

5. bobtheking

it dosen't happen anymore, and i don't know how i fixed it, but i would like to know why. is there a way to reduce build time, it takes half a fricken hour to build geometry!

6. StoneViper

StoneViper you can call me Mike

on larger levels, any random altering of the brushes will fix, and can cause problems. If building the bsp works this way, but not the next, just rechange the way you built it and it will work (almost guarenteed)

in your case when you built that last brush, during the compile it would crash, but since you changed around the geometry a little bit (even maybe one brush) and recompiled it worked again.

It seems to be random, but i don't think it is.

7. Bot_40

Bot_40 Go in drains

If you just want to work on a certain part of the level, you can hide the rest of the level so it doesn't build it. Just press Ctrl+Alt+drag all the parts you don't need it ro rebuild. Go onto the group browser. Click the add new group button and give it a name. Then when it appears in the browser, untick the tick box that appears next to the name. This will hide all the actors/brushes in that group. Checking the tick box will show them again.
    Now go to the build options screen and under geomery (why is it there?!?) tick only rebuild visible actors.
    Now when you rebuild the level it will only rebuild the parts that are not hidden. This includes lighting and botpaths.

You have to remember that when you want to test the whole level or when you want to do the final rebuild, you have to unhide all the actors so that parts of the level are'nt missing.

It's a good idea to delete all the groups before you release the level as this will reduce the filesize.

You can use the hideselected actor, show all actor and the show all actor buttons but using groups allows you to manage different parts of the level more easily and also means you don't have to go selecting whole sections of your level over and over.

8. cdeaconu

cdeaconu waiting for the worms

Get a faster computer :)

9. Hourences

Hourences New Member

half an hour for rebuild ?:)
    nice pc or nice map :)

10. Astyanax

Astyanax GotoState('Coding');

Well I'm working on a map which is over 10MB in size now, and it takes about half an hour to rebuild. :hmm:

A while back, I had this strange problem: after 30 minutes of rebuilding, the editor still worked, but it crashed when you tried to save the map! :mad:

I've wasted a lot of hours rebuilding and trying to find out how to solve it. It stopped malfunctioning after I had taken out all screensavers and energy-saving modes my computer tries to start after a certain amount of minutes without interaction. :hmm:

11. Call me Erdrik

Call me Erdrik Arch Mage

I had a similar problem once that cuased UED to freeze during a rebuild... it was during the pathing phase. Se some how duplicates of my items/paths started poping up..(not just simple copies, but actual duplicates, same name and object id's, an' location, ect) this cuase the rebuild to freeze.. so I had to go thru with the search tool, and delete each dupe....

12. bobtheking

it is a darn good map in my biased opinion, and i haven't done the terrain yet. i was exaggerating a little, it does take 10-12 minutes though.

13. faderide

faderide Far beyond driven

nice architecture!

14. LP

LP *wants to be your friend*

pretty cool map there :tup:
    now /me wants to see terrain/skybox :)

15. Evil_Cope

Evil_Cope For the Win, motherfather!

looks very nice indead. if you need help with terrain bot_40 is a good person top ask.

oh, and does the name, Darkmagic mean anything to you? always after good mappers...

16. bobtheking

aren't they making the mod, i don't think i am good enough for making maps for them, as people around here say, i am a n00b, that is my second map, in the showcase forum, the first is DM-Treecity.