1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Why no names of map authors in Epic maps?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by ne_skaju, Feb 25, 2009.

1. ne_skaju

ne_skaju lost and found

Even in UnrealEd, map author filed is empty.

In UT and UT200x, author name of all offical maps hidden in game, but you may see in editor.

2. sneh

sneh -

Team effort?

3. Ignotium

Ignotium Que hora es?

Several names?

4. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

I want to know who the hell created DM-RisingSun.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  5. d3tox

d3tox Face down in a pool of his own vomit.

We can only assume Joe Wilcox did them all.

6. TurdDrive

TurdDrive sam k

no trinity made them

7. evilmrfrank

evilmrfrank Banned

I always just assumed it was because multiple people worked on every level as well :p Maybe thats why the levels are so much better in UT3, only assuming that for the most part lots of level designers didn't pile unto one level in previous UT's :p

8. sneh

sneh -

In previous games, generally the person who designed/made the map would also take care of making textures, lighting, item placement etc..

In UT3 I assume these jobs were split amongst many people, e.g. level design, modeling, texture/material artists, lighting etc..

Guess they decided to just put everyone in the main credits, they probably all did something on every map.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  9. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

I thought Epic encouraged that, because it was/is the only way you can ever create the kind of detailed levels in an engine like this.
    Besides ... isn't (almost) everyone credited in-game anyway ?

The item may simply be either legacy or something for 3rd party designers (like us) to use.

10. Phopojijo

Phopojijo A Loose Screw

Yeah and they share so many assets too.

11. Jane's_Addiction-

Jane's_Addiction- New Member

Because they are property of Epic, and Epic released the map as the author, I assume. Every ut game has been like this. I take they give credit to individuals in rolling credits.

12. WaitForTheRain

WaitForTheRain New Member

^ On the right track I think. It's probably something to do with an employment contract which states that anything done at work is property of the company rather than of the employee.

13. zynthetic

zynthetic robot!

Unlikely. Even contractors are allowed to have their worked attributed in the event they need something to show to future employers. The days of a single person being responsible for every aspect of the map is done, or at least in terms of large scale mp fps games. At minimum you'll have someone build the layout to the best of their abilities (time given within the extent to satisfy milestones) and then an artist pretty it up.

14. LANCE.xd

LANCE.xd Flak Monkey

I remember at least in Unreal and UT you could see who made the stock maps. But I assume it's too impractical now to create a map start to finish singlehandedly.

15. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

I've been told this is pretty much the case.

16. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

That's logical, but it's still possible and not harder than earlier to create maps by a single person. A lot of people create custom content only by themselves.

17. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Well-Known Member

Umm, let me remind you that even Unreal maps were not done by single person. Almost all of the team contributed on these, yes the map was mainly done by one person and that is why that person is credited, but the final look was influenced by more things.....also if you remember these entrances to maps in these hub like levels, these were most likely not done by the person who did the hub map, but the person who did the next map, etc....

18. sneh

sneh -

Sure, it's possible (but it is harder than previously, and takes a lot longer).

I'm referring to Unreal Tournament

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  19. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Yeah, all that's true. It's just that this generation kind of took the idea of shared levels to a whole new level. I know for a fact that people did extensive work on levels they did not begin.

I suppose we could always ask someone for a more detailed explanation, eh?