Why Map?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Why Map?

• I wanna do it for money, how else to prove myself worthy

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I could do better than that POS that got a 9

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • I got this really cool idea, and want to be God

Votes: 34 39.1%
  • I don't have a social life and like the self-abuse

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • I like figuring out software that comes without a manual and is prone to crashing

Votes: 15 17.2%

• Total voters

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
Well, originally it was cuz i had an idea, well actually several ideas, and then it's kinda become routine, and now i wanna learn more about it. I think a job would be really neat, but honestly I don't expect that to ever happen.

lucifix

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
Nov 3, 2001
A Deeper Kind Of Slumber
www.geocities.com
Originally posted by faderide
Theres something about it.... starting with black nothingness and ending up with detailed, interactive world that you created solely form your imagination.......

Don't know how to explain it, but I can't stop myself. LOL
hmmm.........playing god maybe?

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
Originally posted by faderide
Theres something about it.... starting with black nothingness and ending up with detailed, interactive world that you created solely form your imagination.......

Don't know how to explain it, but I can't stop myself. LOL
It's art man! I love it :D

Luggage

wins.
Apr 25, 2001
Germany
www.planetunreal.com
I've got no social life, - well I do, but I'm arrogantly ignoring it - but I checked "I like to figure out software without docs". Which is in fact true, but does not apply to my reasons for UEdding.

Lugg

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
UnrealEd gives you the power and opportunity to be creative in a way no one ever dreamed of - I guess it's a way of suspending disbeleif - a way of soaking up the hours in a creative way instead of watching the TV - a distraction while you're at work thinking of the next room you can create or actually building the type of evening sky you always saw when you was a kid but didn't think you would see again - you see - with Ued you can do this and more - but If I was to be honest - the suprising element that has come out of all of this for me personally is the NC forums which I now visit on a daily basis - just to check what new maps are being produced - who wants feedback - technical issues - ranting - it never ceases to amaze me

Of course it's always nice to see the regulars on NC - there are some really funny people out there - and when I read some of the replies to posts - I can't help but laugh out loud sometimes and this in some respects is what it's all about

I think Chrysaor nailed it when he said it has become part of a routine - I can't really argue with that because if we're honest with ourselves - that's exactly what it is - a routine - like checking your E-Mail everyday - we all do it - just like mapping - except it does take up more time than I care to admit.............

Lruce

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
I find the more I map the more I want to continue. I've been working on my latest map for all of 3 days, and it's my best yet. I think if I keep working at level design I may find my way to a job, but at this point I enjoy the creativity. It's just so fricken fun :)

GoldenMouse

Mad Hatter
Nov 14, 2001
Backwoods Ohio
Visit site
I map because I love architecture and the sense of a given location. I'm not good enough yet to adequately convey those just yet, but I'm hooked and am getting better with each successive map (released or no).