1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Why do you play Infiltration?

Discussion in 'General Infiltration Discussion' started by Cuchullain, Nov 22, 2000.

1. Cuchullain

Cuchullain New Member

I am curious. I've been reading a lot of posts about Inf being compared to other mods. Frankly its been pissing me off. As I think some of these mods competitions are comparing Inf's apples to UT's oranges.

I play Inf because of the realism. I'm drawn to the teamwork and tactical challenges. If I want to just charge around and blow things up that's when I'll play Counterstrike or plain UT. I see Inf as a game in and of itself. It's as much a challenge to outwit the other players and stay alive through a round as it is to take down as many of them as possible.

Inf has so many more possibilities than other mods. I foresee a time when you'll take on a roll. There will be a sniper, an assualt unit, a Breaching unit and so on. Depending on the map and team makeup you'll change your loadout to complement each other. Not every team member needs a PSG or HK69. But you should certainly have at least one in your unit somewhere.

Anyways...I want to know how you guys see the game being played. I want to know how you play it now. and where you'd like to see it.

I'm just curious.

I BELIEVE IN GREATER ACCURACY THROUGH VOLUME!!

Dedicated to providing the Infiltration community with a one-stop source for information and fun, friendly on-line gaming.

Visit us at www.sgservers.com.

2. Zundfolge

Zundfolge New Member

uh...ditto :)Ã￾

[​IMG]

3. Angel Of Death

Angel Of Death New Member

I think that clans are gonna play a huge part in this game. Clans are probably gonna organize themselves and try to assign everyone a specific job for a certain level. The Loadout option for this game is superb. Instead of having to go around and kill people for money everything is at your dispense. Which I think far improves the fun factor of this game.

Back on the subject, I'm really looking forward to playing this game online (even though I have a sorry 56k, god damn it!) and hopefully getting into a clan where they need a some support fire on the team. I'm also looking forward to any machine guns being added. I love giving the team support fire or just keeping the enemies heads' down.

The gates of Hell are awaiting as you see.. There's no price to pay just follow me.. I can take your lost souls from the grave.. Jesus knows your soul cannot be saved.

4. Curtz

Curtz New Member

I agree with Cuchullain completly, that is how I want to play the game. If any CS newbies appear and try to spoil the fun, they can suffer my wrath! WRATH you HEAR! :)

Lags a bitch, and then you die.
    Official "paranoid-nut" of the BMA, and ex-evil overlord wannabe.

5. Draco-1

Draco-1 I've been to hell, and I spell it DMV.

I picked up CS because the realism made the game require thought and skill to win. It was the greatest game I had ever played.

Then they broke it; turning it into a bunny-hopping, bullet-spraying, meat-headed nightmare.

I then heard of INF, a realism mod for UT. After reading through the roadmap and armory, I was hooked (even without a game).

I've been deathmatching since Doom II, and doing the FPS thing since Wolfenstein 3D. I'm tired of mindless fragging. Though I usually do well, it's only fun for me for a little while. I look for games that make me think; that require patience and good obsrevational skills, instead of just fast reflexes and a quick trigger finger. CS doesn't reward you for your skill anymore. INF does and will continue to do so, as I believe Gryphon would rather kill himself, than see INF's weapons become like those in CS. ;)

6. Zundfolge

Zundfolge New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ...I believe Gryphon would rather kill himself, than see INF's weapons become like those in CS. [/quote]

I have to disagree with you, I don't see Gryphon as the suicidal type, homicidal maybe but not suicidal :)

[​IMG]

7. Stompy

Stompy New Member

Why I play...

Something tells me this is going to turn into yet another long-winded novella...

I love taking cover behind something and hearing bullets ricochet all around me, then popping up and returning fire, then breaking for new cover and repeating the process until one of us is dead.
    It's not a simple "point the crosshairs at the target & pull trigger until dead" fragfest, but it's not a "oops, that bullet nicked your toe, so you're dead now" game like RS either. It's the perfect balance between the two. There's plenty of adrenaline pumping action with explosions and shrapnel and bullets and shell casings and reloading, but with some kind of thought and planning involved. You can't expect to run into a firefight with guns blazing and come out victorious. And with a small number of players, it reminds me a lot of Thief, where stealth and observation are more important than an itchy trigger finger and a big gun.

I can't say I'm all that excited about online play, because I don't know how it's going to pan out. I don't know if it's going to become a fragfest with realistic weapons or if it's going to be the same as it is offline, with much smarter opponents.

Like I had said in a previous post, there are times when I just want to run away and hide behind something until the action dies down a little. It gets pretty damn intense. Why? Well, it's a forgone conclusion that while you are not a wimpy little paper doll like in RS, it only takes a few hits to take you out. In most other UT mods, you are a relative walking tank. If you get hit a couple of times it's no biggie, you just run off and find a health pack. With Inf, you have to be careful as hell. In fact (I just thought of this - it's a good one!) it's not that you have to be wary of one stray bullet, you have to be wary of one misstep. If you walk into the wrong area or waited a second too long to reload, it's all over. I can't even count the number of times I've been crouched down in a corner with a spent clip in my MP5 practically begging the enemy bot standing above me not to kill me while I was fumbling around for the quick action key to bring up my sidearm. [BTW, can you PLEASE make it so that weapons activated by the QA key are automatically brought up to the "aim" position? Thank you!] Or even worse, trying to decide if I wanted to just bring up my pistol or take the risk and try to reload my MP5 while knowing full well that an enemy bot was seconds away from discovering me.

I can't even describe some of the emotions that run through me as I play the game, and I would NEVER be able to say enough about the way the game plays. It is the absolutely PERFECT balance between a military simulation and action game. Running around the corner headlong into a pair of enemies and then walking away a few seconds later with two dead bodies on the ground behind you as your empty clip drops to the floor is just as exhilirating as getting into a protracted firefight with a single enemy and, upon realizing that he is reloading, popping up to send a little package of lead love thru his skull.
    Hell, the game can even be humorous at times as you pop up from behind a crate to suprise an unsuspecting enemy only to hear that dreaded clicking sound coming from your weapon. So, you duck back down again, reload, and give it another go! Hilarious! Will it still be funny when that enemy is human and it turns out he's just standing there, pistol pointed directly at the space your head is about to occupy as soon as you stand up? Maybe, maybe not. Only time will tell.

But to sum up here, I guess the biggest reason I play is because it _feels_ right. I haven't been hanging around the forums much lately because as far as I was concerned, there just wasn't anything for me to say! The team already knows about the problems that are still in existence and online play is on the way, so once a few more bugs get worked out the game will be perfect, IMO. There - I said it. The game is perfect. For me, at least. It is a completely compatible match for my personality, and is just the way I like it. It's not something I'll spend every day of my life playing because, well, somtimes you just feel like a nut and sometimes you don't. Every now and then I get a little bit of a twang and just have to find some visceral, gib-inducing all-out fragfests. If it's not human nature, it's at least my nature. But then when I get tired of running around like a madman with futuristic weapons (or a sniper rifle that is poorly implemented *cough* *UnF* *cough*) ;-) then I always know I can come back to my good ole buddy, Inf.

So there you have it. Don't worry, I don't know what the hell I was talking about either. I like this game. A lot. Now leave me alone. It's 10 minutes past quittin' time and I gotta catch a plane, so I'm gettin the hell outta here. Man, I wish I could play some Inf this weekend...

8. Cuchullain

Cuchullain New Member

Hehe...Long winded, but exactly how I feel about the game.

I love playing paintball for this same reason. Inf doesn't cost you 100$ everytime you play though!!

I BELIEVE IN GREATER ACCURACY THROUGH VOLUME!!

Dedicated to providing the Infiltration community with a one-stop source for information and fun, friendly on-line gaming.

Visit us at www.sgservers.com.

9. I_ABuGa

I_ABuGa Vetran

gee... i think stompy answered for just about all of us.

I play this game coz of its realism, the community behind it, and its potential as truly team based experience. I'm going to make some suggestions later by email on some features that may increase the team based experience, but proly the INF team has already thought of em.

10. LordSpoon

LordSpoon plastic fork! my name is plastic fork dammit!

i play cuz its the a realism mod thats realistic, they're rare these days (i like firearms too), and its got GUNNNNSSSS

like GUNS, you can fu'ck sh'it up with them!!!!!!!!
    that and all those reasons above

btw, imagine how unbalanced CS would be with a grenade launcher in it? I really admire INF for being able to include grenade launchers without screwing the balance up

**** **** off

11. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

realism is the main reason, reason i started CS, trhen moved to FA, FA got screwed over, moved back to CS and now am awaiting INF, HI, DoD, UA and some more stuff.

Crosshairs are for wimps :)

Killing stupid people is not just a hobby, it's a way of life.

12. Gryphon

Gryphon Active Member

What? Me, homicidal? Where on earth did you get that idea? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

13. ShakKen

ShakKen Specops Spook

Notice the concealable AR-15 holster in his undies.

[​IMG]

14. seeker

seeker New Member

Infiltration...

I play to see my player pull the trigger on the Robar and see the bot fall to its knees while my player operates the bolt to chamber another round in smooth rhthym..its almost like music :)
    Seeker

][​IMG]

15. RAzOR

RAzOR New Member

Gryphon: what's that weapon in your left hand?

Nice AR-15 holster, btw :D

RazoR :D

-------------------------
    [​IMG]

16. Eliwar

Eliwar -

_-_

hahah :D looks like Gryphon has Gillian right where she should be.

------------------------
    [​IMG]
    <A HREF="http://planetunreal.com/titaniumwars" TARGET="_blank">http://planetunreal.com/titaniumwars</A>
    Lead Artist
    ------------------------

17. perrin98

perrin98 New Member

gryphon, the smiles perfects the image. :)

Lord Perrin

War comes down to he with pointiest stick

18. JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy alive

hey gryphon, whats that fifth gun you have in your pants? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

[​IMG]

19. HanD_of_DarKNesS

HanD_of_DarKNesS Evil Bastard

Nice pic Gryphon! And I thought I was safe, here in Canada! :D

Anywho, I play INF because I'm tired of stupid fragfest games. That's why I never got into Q3: I found it completely mindless. My friends have their own UT CTF Instagib clan, and at least there is some strategy involved.

I've always been one for tactical command in the heat of battle. I love paintball, lasertag (I know it's cheesy, but it can be fun) and the sort. I think INF will be great for online play. Because it's a MOD, there will be more players who are dedicated to it (I think). Just look at this message board. Clans'll be great. They'll actually mean something more than a group of players. They'll actually have real strategy and dedicated roles (or at least somewhat so). I've already begun recruiting for a clan for INF whan it goes online.

Infiltration is one of the best games I've ever played. As far as FPS go, it is my favorite. When it goes online, I doubt anything will compare. :cool:

------------------------------
    "In the shadows of
    death; I lurk. I am the
    Darkness that
    consumes you all."

20. JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy alive

theres a TON of reasons i play infiltration.

1. the team has the MOST origional mod out there. everything is to scale, and i love that fact that everyone is their own, the player models, the maps, the animations....etc

2. the guns. the guns are really well balanced. i see a need for EVERY gun in certain scenarios.

3. the online experience. everyone who plays on the sg and sob servers are a bunch of nice guys. its a small community on sob which i really like because i get to know all of em' really well.

4. the desert eagle. ohhhh...yeah.... :cool:

[​IMG]