Why do sound cards piss me off?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Scuddie

I am probably better than you.
Sep 29, 2001
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz was the best sound card you could get. It ran circles around the Audigy, and was almost neck and neck with the Audigy 2, all while not having any bugs and costing less than half as much. Even today, that card easily outperforms the MCP-T onboard sound on nForce2 boards.

That was over four years ago, and I would pray to god that sound cards have continued to evolve. Unfortunately, it doesnt look like that has happened. Instead we have the insanely powerful, yet ridiculously buggy Audigy 4 with it's hefty $279.00 price tag. Also, Turtle Beach now has the powerful, but incredibly lax Catalina for a much cheaper $49.95. And I ask you, why the sam hell is everyone now cutting corners like nobody's business?

Jeez! I'd like to know why it is that the most powerful sound card has serious compatibility issues with WinNT and VIA. I would also like to know why the runner up is just a souped up Rivierra with no good features whatsoever. I mean christ, I would expect newer sound cards to be innovative. Unfortunately I am stuck with an overhyped, overbugged, and overpriced Audigy 4, or the sound card version of the GeForce MX4000, which is just a Rivierra with more channels!!

Someone, please tell me there is another option. I cannot believe that since 2000, there has not been one good revolution in the sound card business. I mean, come on. Why is it that the Audigy 4 can run an emulated 192KHz, but doesnt have the neccessary ability to export it, all while causing screech of death every two minutes? Why doesnt the Catalina have the ability to decode SPDIF, or have DSP, or even an equalizer? There has got to be a better sound card to have surfaced over the past four years that would actually be worth something. Seriously.

Scuddie

Sep 29, 2001
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
Shut up, orange.

EDIT: Seriously, a person who vouches for Klipsch as much as you do, you should know something about decent sound cards.

Last edited:

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Well, may as well rant seeing as though everyone else is.

Why has my front left output gone all crackly all of a sudden? It's the same if I use the card's output orthe front panel thing (Audigy 2 Platinum), and the same if I use my speakers or headphones. I'm guessing it's yet another issue with Creative's crappy drivers.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
My choice between SB Audigy 2 ZS and onboard sound would go in favour of the Audigy, and it did.

Last edited:

unixman

[pthread] The Clan of One
Apr 8, 2001
Bakersfield, CA
www.stridernet.ath.cx
Gee. That's an easy one Hadmar. It's simple business. Produce ****ty products with the least marginal cost and sell them in shiny packages for $200. Isn't that the order of the day for all consumer products.

Hadmar

Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
I think I payed around 85€ for the card. Mind telling me what's so ****ty about it?

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
My Audigy 2 works great--I prefer it over the Santa Cruz I used for well over a year--but that must mean that I'm a stupid comsumer whore. I guess I don't know what works for me and what doesn't work for me. :(

Scuddie

Sep 29, 2001
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
7.1 may be more than you need, Nathan. However, I'd like to know what you've done to keep your system from crashing. Are you running a VIA chipset, or running an NT operating system? If either of these are true, your machine shouldnt be stable while running an Audigy sound card. I would seriously like to know how or why.

Hadmar

Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
<- VIA, XP, no problems*, no special anything done.

Doesn't mean I'll ever forget the Audigy I tryed to install a few years ago on my W98SE PC. The setup crashed my PC every time I run it, I even tryed reinstalling Windows several times to no avail. I took it back to the shop. I had a similar frustrating experience with a Nvidia GFX card a few years ago which had more or less cost me a full one week holiday in time. That won't keep me from ever again buying a Nvidia card either.

*Exept Dungeon Keeper 2 which had stuttering sound till I lowered hardware support. Then again from what I read that game had horrible sound code so I'm not all that concerned.

unixman

Apr 8, 2001
Bakersfield, CA
www.stridernet.ath.cx
Hadmar said:
I think I payed around 85€ for the card. Mind telling me what's so ****ty about it?

Ugh. I wasn't talking about your card in particular. I'm talking about consumer goods in general. It's tough to find quality hardware anymore. All companies care about are their profit margins.

unixman

Apr 8, 2001
Bakersfield, CA
www.stridernet.ath.cx
I've never held "PC" components to be of very high quality. Boards are shipped with broken BIOSes and crippled ACPI implementations. Nowhere is this seen more than in the laptop market where non-MS operating systems can't even boot because the vendor ACPI implementation literally checks for Windows version strings to route interrupts and IO ports. The vendors never have any intention to fix their hardware as the motto of the day is to just fix it in software. As a FreeBSD developer, I shouldn't have to write conditionals in my code to check if I'm running on broken hardware. I know you're all end users and could care less about what the code does as long as it works, but I feel that hardware should work as stated in the programmers manual.

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
WinXP, VIA board. I plugged in the card and then installed the latest drivers. Same thing I've done with every Creative card I've used since the Sound Blaster Pro. Never had a problem with any of them.