Why an expansion?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rujman

Mar 20, 2008
I think Epic should just pull a UT2004 with this one and release a new title. An expansion will just build upon a game that very few people play now. They need to start fresh otherwise it'll do nothing.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Actually I still want to know if this is going to be a separate game or a real expansion to add at the pre-existant UT3.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
UT started out as an expansion to Unreal, Unreal 2 XMP also only was an expansion but technically is a complete standalone game. Oh and content-wise, UT2004 also was an expansion to UT2003.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
It still was the Unreal Engine v1.0 .... it might have been a later build with a few bugfixes (like the netcode that was eventualy patched in Unreal as well), but at its core it was the same engine.

// Why an expansion ?
Epic = business.
It's safe to say that they've calculated the roi and at this point in time it looks like it is the most cost-effective variant.
However as with UT things can and do change ...

Besides since 'no one' bought UT3 an expansion might trigger extra sales without the need for a half-arsed discount like they did for UT2k4 which pissed off pretty much all of the fans outside the USA ...

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
I agree OP, I think a stand-alone would do better to get more new players..

If you're required to have UT3 first, at best wouldn't it just be like a patch with some new content? (I don't think that would be well received, judging by the general feelings around here - even if it perfectly "fixes everything".. unless it's free?)

If it were my decision - I would make the next one a stand-alone game (not for free) based on a televised Tournament operated by Liandri corporation, and tie in some revenge sub-story with Ronin / Necris / Malcolm teams for continuity.. (obviously with brand new UI etc..)
It would focus on non-vehicular gametypes, except I would introduce a new gametype : Vehicle Assault :D

Last edited:

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I suspect that it will be a downloadable patch file with a retail box as an option for newcomers. That seems to be the standard way they've done things in the past with UT GOTY and UT2 ECE.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Given the contract with Midway to produce two Unreal titles, I'm thinking this "expansion" is really only in name like UT2004 was to UT2003. Technically, UT2004 is UT2003 + stuff and therefore an expansion, but it's actually an entirely new game. D:

Be prepared to drop $40+ on it, I say. :)

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
Be prepared to drop $40+ on it, I say. :)

I don't mind paying for it.. but that depends on what it is.

Actually TBH if it doesn't cost money, it probably won't be as good or large as I hope it will be (wait and see..)

But if it costs money, and only fixes some of the actual bugs and adds a couple more maps and cutscenes - I think that would be a near fatal mistake IMO. (judging from the general opinions out there)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
But if it costs money, and only fixes some of the actual bugs and adds a couple more maps and cutscenes - I think that would be a near fatal mistake IMO. (judging from the general opinions out there)
This is actually all I'm expecting from them. Toss in a few maps, maybe fix DemoGuy, continue/finish the campaign, and call it a day. BAM -- $40.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Personally i think they would be better off not making any expansion, or UT2003-UT2004 style move, but instead just start making UT4 (or Unreal3).

Its possible for a really good expansion to turn the tides, but it would have to be huge if it is to make players like me take any interest in it at all, and i don't think it would be met with much enthusiasm, i think all the players out there, who have chosen to not play UT3, will greet it with "ohh, so they finally fixed this game?" rather than jubilation.

I think a whole new game would stand a much better chance of turning some heads and shaking off the bad Karma that is UT3.

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
I think that the it is possible for the expansion to turn the tide a bit, but what it will most likely take is a new intriguing and fun game type and a kick ass demo release. Short of that, nothing perceived as just "more UT3" is going to drive purchases or a surge in online play for the game.

I really like UT3, but in this era of limited attention span "console" mindsets it's hard to reinvigorate a property. Honestly though, there's still an online community. I can always find a game when booting it. That's really more than you can say for the vast majority of online PC game releases 14 months after launch these days.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
There are players, yes, as i write this right now, Gamespy Stats reports "501 servers, 196 players" for UT3 PC, and usually there's some 450 or so at peak houers (this is obviously not a peak houer).

But a community just under 500 players (spanding the globe) is not exactly a big community, and it has been this way since the game was launched (ok, the first month or so there where more people, but thouse quickly lost intrest and the numbers rapidly nosedived), considdering how anticipated the game was in the days before its release, the rapid decline in players paints a very clear picture of what people think of the game, and people saying "but i can still find a server!" are missing the bigger picture here..

Grasshopper

Jan 21, 2008
Upstate NY
The expansion will have to get rid of Gamespy. That is probably one of the biggest reasons for low numbers in on line play. The master server is unreliable.The pings in the server list are not accurate. The useless log in made a lot of players give up the nick they were using for years. If you want to change, you have to set up a new account with a different e-mail.

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
I think thay might do a Witcher on us and let people with gamaspy accounts get it for free but let others buy it.

Gamespy may have been the major problem as it kind of went down for days a few times kind of kicking people out of the communaty. A cople of hours maintinance eacch week would have solved that.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I don't mind paying for it.. but that depends on what it is.

Actually TBH if it doesn't cost money, it probably won't be as good or large as I hope it will be (wait and see..)

It will cost money.
Trust me.

Mabz

Mar 31, 2005
UT4 with lots of actual in game feature videos should do the trick. Destructible environments like bridges and towers controlled by physics, spider mines gun like in UT2K4, some more super weapons, bot voice commands, Legendary characters, an excellent UI and story-line mode should do the trick.

Thats their best bet. If the community know that it takes Epic two titles to do something close to perfect, then why wouldn't they support UT4? It's a better move than to release a free huge upgrade, on a game not well received.