Who Watches the Watchmen?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
You've had that avatar since... well since forever, no?
You must know the (amazing) graphic novels.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
hehe you misunderstand me! :D (mainly because I formulated that last post badly)

I was writing that because you've had that avatar forever and a lot of people are only being introduced to the Watchmen with this movie. In fact before this movie was introduced I don't think that many people had heard of the watchmen at all. (except the older folk ;D)
Was just asking if you had read the novels, or if you had stumbled on that avatar pic per-chance and trying to instigate a "the watchmen novels rule" post.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Hey I thought 300 was good, but I didn't read the book.

you misunderstand me, i mean it'll be a first if the adaptation to film is any good.

I'm not sure about that. Sin City hit the nail on the head in terms of adaptation, so I wouldn't say a good adaptation hasn't been done before.

Anyways, I loved The Watchmen graphic novel, so I'm pretty eager to see how this will turn out. And thankfully I have lower standards than Kal :)

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
hehe you misunderstand me! :D (mainly because I formulated that last post badly)

I was writing that because you've had that avatar forever and a lot of people are only being introduced to the Watchmen with this movie. In fact before this movie was introduced I don't think that many people had heard of the watchmen at all. (except the older folk ;D)
Was just asking if you had read the novels, or if you had stumbled on that avatar pic per-chance and trying to instigate a "the watchmen novels rule" post.

oic. no, read it when it came out.

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
I've never been one for the unknown-comic-book-made-into-a-movie deal. I really didn't enjoy any of the other ones (300, Sin City, etc.). Pretty cheesy stuff, imo.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
I've never been one for the unknown-comic-book-made-into-a-movie deal.

:lol: The fact that you don't know it does not make it "unknown".

From Wikipedia:
The miniseries was a commercial success, and its sales helped DC Comics briefly overtake its competitor Marvel Comics in the comic book direct market. Watchmen has also received several awards spanning different categories and genres including: Kirby Awards for Best Finite Series, Best New Series, Best Writer, and Best Writer/Artist, Eisner Awards for Best Finite Series, Best Graphic Album, Best Writer, and Best Writer/Artist, and a Hugo Award for Other Forms...

... A review by "Revolution SF" goes on to say that Watchmen is "one of the most important stories in comic book history..." In 2005, Time placed Watchmen on its list of the 100 Greatest English Language Novels from 1923 to the Present, stating that it was "told with ruthless psychological realism, in fugal, overlapping plotlines and gorgeous, cinematic panels rich with repeating motifs...a heart-pounding, heartbreaking read and a watershed in the evolution of a young medium." Watchmen was the only graphic novel to be listed. It was also listed in Entertainment Weekly's 1000th issue as one of the best 50 novels printed in the last 25 years (#13).

Apr 11, 2006
Watched the trailer yesterday, read the comic today.
Not convinced this can be made into a good movie. The comic is extremely wordy, and makes a lot of use of flashbacks, and concurrent dialogue from different scenes. Will be interesting to see how it turns out, but I'm not expecting too much.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Well, that's true for a bunch of internet-forum-nerds *puts on flamesuit,* but most people I know didn't even know that 300 was a comic :B

When Time Magazine and Entertainment weekly have it listed as one of the best novels of the last 25-75 years, it's FAR from unknown. Methinks that instead of calling people internet nerds you should read more books.

Also,it's bullcrap that you don't care for the adaptation of indy comics--there are PLENTY of other "unknown" comic books made into great movies:
Ghost World
A History of Violence
Road to Perdition
American Splendor
Akira
V For Vendetta (Okay, it's not great, but it was pretty damned good and would have been better if it had been a more faithful adaptation.)

Not great but good (Blade, Hellboy, Men In Black, Oldboy, The Crow)

Back on topic: I think the trailer looks pretty great. I'm still a little on the fence how this is going to play out.

Snyder did an amazing job with remaking Dawn of the Dead (like it or don't like it, it was a slick as hell movie) and captured 300 perfectly. The thing is, both of these are pretty vapid. Dawn of the Dead remake was pretty shallow (the original isn't really THAT deep anyways) and anything by Frank Miller (300, Sin City) is definitely cool, but almost always over the top stupid. You don't read Frank Miller because he's a good writer, but because he's a cool writer.

Watchmen is a very, very, very smart book. V for Vendetta was also pretty good and while the movie adaptation was solid, the straying from the original only slightly hurt it--not because it was't "faithful", but because it simply wasn't as good. Watchmen while a MUCH better book is a very carefully laid one and small deviations could have a worse effect and it's always a shame when great books get poor movie treatments.

~Jason

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
When Time Magazine and Entertainment weekly have it listed as one of the best novels of the last 25-75 years, it's FAR from unknown. Methinks that instead of calling people internet nerds you should read more books.

Exactly.

Dawn of the Dead remake was pretty shallow (the original isn't really THAT deep anyways)

Don't make me go postal on you. :D It is the bestest movie EVAR. The original that is. Which is very deep.