1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

who wants to help ol' jb out before he starts throwing things?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JonnyBoy, Mar 4, 2004.

1. JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy alive

hey everyone, long time no see, eh?

i have a bit of a dilemma...back at school I got a supposed virus on my computer. I found out about it when I woke up and went to check my away messages(im an aol im nerd) and it was down. all my internet was down actually. i went to campus itech, and they sent a guy over who couldn't fix it, but assured me it was a virus, he based this assumption on two things, and two things only

1. norton anti virus was disabled
    2. internet access was not allowed(this was personal computer related because he tried a new ethernet cable which didnt work, and then tried his computer on my internet jack which worked)

he said I need to update norton, run a scan, and that SHOULD take care of the problem

easier said than done, without internet i have no way of updating my outdated norton

so, since spring break started for me today, I brought my computer home in hopes of fixing it. the big problem though is this...we use wireless internet here, and when running in safe mode(apparently i need to do this until the virus is gone) it doesnt seem like I can use wireless internet.

so, with that in mind...can any of you blokes help me out? I can also use the current computer I'm on to burn/transfer any needed files.

thanks guys
    jb

2. Hadmar

Hadmar Queen Bitch of the Universe

I suggest you plug the HD of the other computer in the one you posted from and scan from there, but make sure you don't boot from the possibly infected HD. If you scan from an already infected PC the virus might be able to hide itself from the scanner so scanning the drive from a known uninfected PC is better.

3. Meshuggah

Meshuggah New Member

4. Fuct

Fuct Who is Adam King?

Hello JohnnyBoy and Mayhem! Long time no see. :D

5. Cold Killer

Cold Killer I will Kill Bill

Just out of curiosity, how'd you post this message? If you're using another computer, couldn't you just download it there, burn it onto a RW and then take it back to your computer?

6. Dank

Dank Mac Guru

Holy crap!

Mayhem...dude....long time no see.

7. JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy alive

norton is disabled cold killer

wow, I remember mayhem, go de :lol:

8. Prowler

Prowler "Building Better Worlds"

what version of norton? I heard 2004 version checks all software installed and returns their serial numbers to the companies and if its illegal or stolen then norton can disable your internet. Thats just what I heard, not sure if its true or not.

9. unixman

unixman [pthread] The Clan of One

There would be legal issues with that. Highly doubious.