Who is the Epic game designer ...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JimBodkins

Apr 10, 2004
... not the engine ... the games (UT/UT2k3/UT2k4 - things like weapons, movement, balance etc).

Just curious.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
If you're looking to the "lead designers" -- that would be Jeff Morris, Steve Polge, and to a lesser extent now that Gears of War exists... Cliff Blezinsky

CEO is Tim Sweeney, but he's mostly engine-tech now.
President is Mike Capps -- but he's administration.
Vice President is Mark Rein -- but he's public relations.

Last edited:

JimBodkins

Apr 10, 2004
Thanks.

I love the engine - and generally the games as well. But I have always had an issue with several (not many) things - like the movement being more powerful than about half the weapons. (Which raises the question, what is the point of those weapons). And weapons that seem more like 'tricks' than weapons. (Plasma and goo for example).

I was curious who might have thought moving 20 feet laterally in an instant (eliminating the utility of a group of weapons) was a great idea.

Thanks again.
(love the engine and about 90% of the games)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
UT2003/2004 were almost solely designed by CliffyB after taking it away from DE.

JimBodkins

Apr 10, 2004
Thanks. Interesting. I remember CliffyB was a fan of combo shots (UT99) when most people thought they were silly. (I thought they were ok but too inexpensive - ammo points). I wonder if he lobbied for massive dodge and plasma. (I play - recreation - against good bots, but just hate huge dodging inhuman bots that never lose aim with plasma).

As a note about firewalls - a little OT - I just had a part of Zonealarm consume lots of CPU (I had read at XMing that zonealarm zucked for XWindows things) and uninstalled it. (And enabled MS firewall as an interim FW). I have to tell you, the performance difference is surprising.

Thanks for the info.

P.S.
UT3 seems to be a return to some of the sensibilities of UT99. (Adrenaline - ack - personal bias :) ).

Last edited:

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Thanks.

I love the engine - and generally the games as well. But I have always had an issue with several (not many) things - like the movement being more powerful than about half the weapons. (Which raises the question, what is the point of those weapons). And weapons that seem more like 'tricks' than weapons. (Plasma and goo for example).

I was curious who might have thought moving 20 feet laterally in an instant (eliminating the utility of a group of weapons) was a great idea.

Thanks again.
(love the engine and about 90% of the games)
Frankly I like it.

Also, plasma has its use.

UT it was great for Assault... spamming the doors to weaken the opponents...
UT2004 it was great for long-range node attacking and when linked up {not on pub servers... though I would prefer that the linkers only lose ammo when the primary dude fires}...
UT3 it's good for FFA Deathmatch once you learn how to lead.

JimBodkins

Apr 10, 2004
Frankly I like it.

Also, plasma has its use.

UT it was great for Assault... spamming the doors to weaken the opponents...
UT2004 it was great for long-range node attacking and when linked up {not on pub servers... though I would prefer that the linkers only lose ammo when the primary dude fires}...
UT3 it's good for FFA Deathmatch once you learn how to lead.

I can understand that. I fenced in college - and was originally drawn to 'duel' in ut99 as a result. Maneuver is important in a duel. You screw up the maneuver - and they got ya - unless of course you can leap 20 feet instantaneously. :) I see a failure to prevent your opponent from setting up a shot as an invitation to get shot.

I think weapons should be lethal - with the goal being to deny your opponent the opportunity to use them. 'Dodge' makes hitscan weapons paramount.

But I can understand some enjoying the mobility.

If you're looking to the "lead designers" -- that would be Jeff Morris, Steve Polge, and to a lesser extent now that Gears of War exists... Cliff Blezinsky

CEO is Tim Sweeney, but he's mostly engine-tech now.
President is Mike Capps -- but he's administration.
Vice President is Mark Rein -- but he's THE F*CKING DEVIL!

fixed that li'l typo for ya. ;)

Mark Rein could probably sell snake oil to snakes if they had pockets to keep their cash in.

eblade

Jan 29, 2006
fixed that li'l typo for ya. ;)

Mark Rein could probably sell snake oil to snakes if they had pockets to keep their cash in.

I think you mean "He'd try to sell snake oil to snakes" .. but he'd probably fail.

-=AG=-

Apr 3, 2005
Thanks. Interesting. I remember CliffyB was a fan of combo shots (UT99) when most people thought they were silly. (I thought they were ok but too inexpensive - ammo points).

15 ammo shock primary to get an ultra kill or 10 ammo with Double Damage. (assuming you don't miss a shot.)

Close, Medium and Long range, can be used in more situations.

5 ammo to get an ultra kill using the combo...

Close and Medium range only. Long range only if opponent is unaware.

So I think its balanced ammo wise. IMHO.