1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Who is on Good Old Games ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Zur, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

2. Benfica

Benfica European Redneck

3. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

4. Benfica

Benfica European Redneck

I haven't been there for a while, though. Glad you reminded me.

I suspect I'm going to get Rayman :p

5. leilei

leilei ANIME ELF'S !!

Not me. I already own all the old games I care about in physical form. I don't need to own them again in a "fixed by gog scientit's" InnoSetup+DOSBox/ScummVM/GlideWrapper/DdrawWrapper form. If I needed convenience, i'd CloneCD/VGACopy all of it to an external for backup and copying from for virtual mounting.

Also some of GoG's releases are questionable, i.e. mastered from pirated copies... Descent II being evident with CD tracks starting seconds misaligned as if they mastered from an Alcohol 120% image. Malformed timestamps are also evident in most of them. You'd know this if your 1991 game is dated specifically December 24, 1996 or in the late 2000's.

I'd also have to dodge their referral links since they have this spamcouraging affiliate program.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  6. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

I used to hang out on an IRC channel where people collected iso images of old games (including some rareties...) for safekeeping. Perhaps someone thought of going commercial with the same idea.

7. das_ben

das_ben Concerned.

If you spend any amount of time on their site it becomes clear that they're not re-releasing old games against the original publishers' will or without cutting them in on the sales. So I doubt they use pirated versions, and if they did in some cases, there probably were good reasons to do so.

8. NeoNite

NeoNite Worst hack fraud ever

You're full of bile, aren't you?

9. tomcat ha

tomcat ha Well-Known Member

gog.com is great. Prefer it over steam mostly.

10. theabyss

theabyss No One Here Gets Out Alive

Yup. Good site. Got Outcast there, but was a bit disappointed later when they released a "fixed" System Shock 2 version without giving credits to some members of the "TTLG" community. Well, at least they acknowledged their error.

11. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

I got the original two Fallout games from there for free so they're cool

12. Hadmar

Hadmar Queen Bitch of the Universe

I own a few games on GOG, yeah. If something is on Steam and GOG, I usually prefer to get it on GOG.