Who in here has seen 'HEAT'

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

jab

Jul 9, 2000
Well, the bank shootout scene would make a GREAT UT map, especially with INF IMHO. Justa suggestion.

Alpha_9

Infiltration lead level designer
Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
Awesome movie...

I absolutely loved "Heat", ended up actually going twice (I rarely do that)! Those shootouts were among the best I've ever seen in any movie, the kind that leaves me going "Whoooaaa..." And that restaurant scene between the Al Pacino & Robert DeNiro characters was riveting...

As for the map idea, I'm afraid the outdoor setting would probably have way too many polys to be playable for most people. But who knows, maybe a good mapper could figure it out!
<h1><font face="symbol">
a 1001</font></h1>
"I love war and responsibility and excitement.
Peace is going to be hell on me."

Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Christopher Webb

Overtly Serious Chappy.
A map with a bank and street would be good. Getting all those cop car models and everything though, well, I just don't know.

And YES, Heat has the best realistic gun fight scenes in ANY movie, period. Maybe I should borrow the DVD or somethin'

<insert cute/ interesting/ bizarre signature here>

[DT-P]Piecemaker

Jun 30, 2000
www.darktideclan.com
I quite liked the scenes in three kings... like how they slowed down or made shots very important. A lot of movies tend to abuse of gun scenes.. e.g. infinite ammunition, guys with 20 lives, missing a guy a meter away from you...

Experienced Shooters don't miss (Long range snipers is a different story, they have to calculate time, wind and all that stuff), a gun is as simple as aim and pull..(short distance anyway)..

<center><H>

<font color=red>P I E C E M A K E R</font color=red><center>?

Ignato

TBuildT Mapping Team
Apr 20, 2000
Toronto, Canada
HEAT

"If I'm there and I have to put you away...I won't like it, but brother you are going down.

Well, there is a flip side to this coin. If I'm in a position to take you out... I won't hesitate for a second."

That was my favorite part in the movie.

We're walking....we're fucking WALKING. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"I will reply with the words uttered from the mouth of my cannon."

Repaman

Jul 11, 2000
I made a map like that

I made a map for swat where the terrorist robed
a bank in broad daylight and the swat team was right outside waiting for them.Its an escape map
with 2 cop cars for cover and although I havnt finished yet is pretty cool,its only the 4th map
ive ever done,the thing is it plays REALLY SLOW
outside facing the bank and for the life of me i cant figure out how to speed things up.
Oh well can you post real maps that arnt for
infitration for testing,if anyone think they can
help me out i'll send or post the unfinised map.

Alpha_9

Infiltration lead level designer
Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
Often times major map slow-downs are caused by placing dynamic lights of any kind in high-polygon areas. So for starters make sure you don't have any dynamic lights in the street area (flickering or wavering lights, lights that turn off or on, etc). If it's still too slow, try simplifying the squad cars, maybe make a custom texture or 2 for the cars to compensate for the low-poly models. Also try simplifying the bank's architecture. And make the windows opaque from the outside, make them look tinted or something. That will further reduce the polys seen from the outdoor perspective.

Hope those ideas help.
<h1><font face="symbol">
a 1001</font></h1>
"I love war and responsibility and excitement.
Peace is going to be hell on me."

Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.