1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

who here thinks ut99 was the best ut?

Discussion in 'Original Unreal Tournament' started by blobs ur uncle, Feb 3, 2010.

1. blobs ur uncle

blobs ur uncle Member

I do, I have played all the other's on the pc since the original (apart from 2004) and I have to say ut99 still smacks it.

its got the perfect amount of fun and obscenity. the later ones imo became a bit too serious or moody for me. I love the design of the characters in 99 ,almost cartoon like.the comedic taunts balanced with the crazy gore and adult swearing it's like the perfect balance.

there just seems to be much more of a sense of fun about it all then the ones released afterwards. don't get me wrong I still think 2003 and ut3 are great games by themselves but I see them as being entirely different games to the original.

I often wondered what the reasons were as to why ut took a different direction with the style,since to me it seemed so original and identifiable? I remember hearing at the time the reason it changed so much stylistically was to make it more like quake?

2. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

I like UT2004 more, but that's just personal preference. You can't really say that something is better than something else just because you feel like it...

3. Raynor.Z

Raynor.Z Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus

Now look at UT2004 characters - those are cartoon like, not UT's.

4. WedgeBob

WedgeBob XSI Mod Tool User

Pfft, yeah, and UT3 characters looks too much like Star Wars characters, maybe Transformers... Too realistic to even be fun, classic UT was still the way to go.

5. TurdDrive

TurdDrive sam k

Never heard of UT 99?

have any of you?

6. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster enemy of time

...but you can say you LIKE it better. I like UT better than UT2004, but I like both games.:)

7. brdempsey69

brdempsey69 Original UT Owns !!

I agree with the OP. Original UT owns. Why they ( Epic ) took a different direction when they made UT2003 is still a mystery. Many believe it was the wrong direction.

8. Skillz

Skillz ut-files.com

[​IMG]

9. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Member

UT 99 (the original Unreal Tournament, from 1999) is still my favourite UT game, by far.

10. Razorjack

Razorjack Lone Walker

Yep, same here :)

11. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

My favourite game in the series is Unreal 1 by a long shot but that's cheating. I liked a lot UT1 and UT3, although I prefer SP games.

12. brdempsey69

brdempsey69 Original UT Owns !!

Would one of those SP games also happen to be a game that uses the Unreal 1 engine -- Deus Ex? I know that is my favorite SP game with original UT being my favorite MP game.

13. Firefly

Firefly United Kingdom is not a country.

I'm slipping back to ut 99

14. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

I voted Deus Ex (2nd place) in the Top 100 PC gamer, actually.

15. Ghoulz

Ghoulz New Member

JC Denton is my best pal in UT:p

Feel sorry that the guy is always getting gibbed. Funny actually, cause I was always getting killed someway in Deus Ex.

16. PATOS

PATOS New Member

Break out your UT 99 disks :]

I agree with the OP that UT99 was the better of the games. As a matter of fact I started thinking about it last week and found my disk, installed it and jumped back on the to see if people were still playing it.

There are more people playing online than I would have thought; however, they are not playing the mode I really liked which is CTF LGI 155\55, now that was some action, especially on a small map! lol

That was still very popular game play and you could always find 2 or 3 full servers when i stopped playing around 2002,maybe 2003 ish.

I like the intensity UT99 had, just person against person and\or team vs team, simple straight forward take it to em or get it brought to ya. :)

I tried the 2 releases after UT99 but it just wasn't the same for me and I know others who like the newer versions would not go back to UT99.

For all you die hard UT99 fans waiting for someone to say it....let's bring UT99back! Let's set a night and do some fragging. :lol:

17. DeusIX

DeusIX Engineer

UT1 > UT2 > UT3 > UT99

18. Skillz

Skillz ut-files.com

You need to look for the HNC servers. They have two of them, usually play on it around the early night.

Also the c-ops insta server, 204.12.222.116:7000 not sure of the HNC's IPs off hand.

They are all 155/55 LGI CTF.

19. Skillz

Skillz ut-files.com

What is UT1 and UT2 and UT99? :lol:

20. Exus Tecius

Exus Tecius like diamonds in the sky

nothing can compare to an ut99 instagib deathmatch online
    :instagib: