Who here has a UPS?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I am thinking about getting one. I recently moved and found out the hard way that my living room is on a 15 amp circuit.:tdown::mad: So If I have the AC(window unit), stereo, PC, consoles, etc running, the power is sure to go out at some time, and usually does.(****ing lame) Anyway, what are some good consumer grade UPS's?

BlAcK_PlAgUe22

I ooze.
Jul 30, 2001
Irvine, California
plague.vze.com
My UPS is a Belkin, but I've heard APC makes some fine UPS's.

They come with software, but I didn't install it on mine. If you don't install it, it acts just like a laptop, when power goes out a battery pops up in the tray telling you the current juice level. :)

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
Make sure you spend a bit more money and get one with a power conditioner built in. APC makes the nice ones.

SnaKe-Fu

Thread Killer.
Dec 26, 2000
California
www.7igaming.com
i have one... an APC. I dunno how good it is because i've never had to use it :D Its pretty nice tho.. i dont have the software installed but when u do... it'll shut ur computer down for you and everything. It'll also back up anything thats saveable, i think. its nice to have tho.. gives you peace of mind.

Shock6822

Cock of the Walk
Jul 2, 2000
That way ->
What's a UPS? These power outages are getting anoying huh BP>...I missed big moments in two baseball games today and yesterday...not cool. Can these outages like erase stuff from HD's?

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Shock6822 said:
Can these outages like erase stuff from HD's?
If a power outage happens while you are writing a file to disk, that file is most likely toast. If the power goes out at a really bad moment when the actual file table is being written to, even worse things can happen to the data on the drive.

When the power goes back on, remember to ScanDisk (Win 9x)/chkdsk (Win NT)/fsck (Linux) your drives, to attempt to recover from any damage that may have occurred. :)

FaT CaM

Not much...
Apr 5, 2002
¯\(˚_o)/¯ I DUNNO?
I've heard about UPS's, my surge protector is good enough at the moment, i dont mind if i cant play during a power outage, just as long as the computer doesnt become a source of heat and light usually found in a fire place

BlAcK_PlAgUe22

I ooze.
Jul 30, 2001
Irvine, California
plague.vze.com
Shock6822 said:
What's a UPS? These power outages are getting anoying huh BP>...I missed big moments in two baseball games today and yesterday...not cool. Can these outages like erase stuff from HD's?

It's a giant battery that takes over supplying power once power goes out. And yes, they are getting annoying. 1 yesterday and two today :(

Kaligraphic

Charles leChaud is my hero
Oct 22, 2002
Everywhere.
www.google.com
I've got a nice little CyberPower one that could probably break my foot if I dropped it.

One time, when I was living at uni, the power went out in the morning (actually all over school - they sort of skipped some classes in the less windowed rooms.) and I woke up to the beeping of my UPS. (My computer had been on for (IIRC) a couple of weeks, and was fine. Still, I turned it off so that I could disable the UPS and stop the beeping.

It's a nice little accessory, and quite handy, too.

Last edited:

Shock6822

Cock of the Walk
Jul 2, 2000
That way ->
Well Kavon we havent had an outage in awhile...probably over a couple years or maybe even more right BP? I don't even remember having an outage in my new house and I moved into this house almost 4 years ago...and we've had 3 in the past 2 days :p

novak

Oct 22, 2003
Visit site
I live right in the center of a big city so the odds of power being cut off right in my building and my apartment are very slim and even if the power did go off, it'd be re-routed in a blink of an eye.

Besides, I rarely do anything other than play games and surf the 'net on my home computers so losing power for a few moments wouldn't be that big of a deal.

BlAcK_PlAgUe22

I ooze.
Jul 30, 2001
Irvine, California
plague.vze.com
Shock6822 said:
Well Kavon we havent had an outage in awhile...probably over a couple years or maybe even more right BP? I don't even remember having an outage in my new house and I moved into this house almost 4 years ago...and we've had 3 in the past 2 days :p

Yeah, haven't been any for a while. I had one or two last year, but they were momentary... lasting just long enough to make me set the clocks again.

SinShiva

Adrian
Apr 1, 2002
i never have outages, but when we get them, lhabulldog6 and i generally lose our power for like 3-4 days in a row. Our whole area goes nuts. Dry Ice Everywhere.