Who did ever use the 'Speak Chat Aloud' function?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

empty_other

Oct 19, 2004
Yes, didnt you hate it? The GOOD-GAME-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-ANDMORE-A. But still, sometimes it would have felt practical to be told what the chat said, instead of having to concentrate on reading it...

So, i have this cool idea, who i first come to think out in Half-Life...You ever heard the soldiers in HL speak commands to each other? All the 'ITS FREEMAN' and the most used phrase among them; 'MOVE IN/OUT'. Did you know they dont save those sentences whole in one file, but instead they save them as MOVE.wav, IN.wav, OUT.wav and so on. That made it possible to make the AI soldiers say quite a lot. Why dont they do that in UT2007?;

1. A voicepack (or more) where the most important words are saved. No need to be HiQuality, it should only sound like radioemissions. Each word should be saved in two versions, one default: BACKUP.wav, and one high: BACKUP!.wav.

2. Then a player writes his own chatmenu (something like the voicemenu already present) in a .ini file:
[CustomCommands]
Category[1]=Commands
Command[1]={1,1},{"I need backup at %l"},{"Backup"},{"I NEED BACKUP!"},{BACKUP}

Category[x] is categories in the voicemenu. You can add up to 9 of them (0 is needed for cancel). Command[x] is your custom command. The first entry is where in the menu the command is placed, in my entry; in Category 1 and slot 1 (you will have to press 1 twice to say it). Second entry is what is written in the chat area (leave it blank for nothing). The third entry is the name in your voicemenu ingame. The fourth entry means: play file I.wav, play, NEED.wav, and play BACKUP!.wav. The last entry is to make the bots understand you...

3. Play it ingame, and when you presses 'v',1,1, the computer sends the second entry to the chat, the fourth entry to the other computers (who have it enabled), and their computer is responsible for finding the files and play them, and the last entry is sent to any bots, if they exist.

Of course any multiple repeatings (of words or the whole sentence), or a word too long, would not be sent. Any normal chats would of course be sent, but not be read aloud...

Could had been cool, hey?

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
empty_other said:
Yes, didnt you hate it? The GOOD-GAME-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-ANDMORE-A. But still, sometimes it would have felt practical to be told what the chat said, instead of having to concentrate on reading it...

So, i have this cool idea, who i first come to think out in Half-Life...You ever heard the soldiers in HL speak commands to each other? All the 'ITS FREEMAN' and the most used phrase among them; 'MOVE IN/OUT'. Did you know they dont save those sentences whole in one file, but instead they save them as MOVE.wav, IN.wav, OUT.wav and so on. That made it possible to make the AI soldiers say quite a lot. Why dont they do that in UT2007?;

1. A voicepack (or more) where the most important words are saved. No need to be HiQuality, it should only sound like radioemissions. Each word should be saved in two versions, one default: BACKUP.wav, and one high: BACKUP!.wav.

2. Then a player writes his own chatmenu (something like the voicemenu already present) in a .ini file:
[CustomCommands]
Category[1]=Commands
Command[1]={1,1},{"I need backup at %l"},{"Backup"},{"I NEED BACKUP!"},{BACKUP}

Category[x] is categories in the voicemenu. You can add up to 9 of them (0 is needed for cancel). Command[x] is your custom command. The first entry is where in the menu the command is placed, in my entry; in Category 1 and slot 1 (you will have to press 1 twice to say it). Second entry is what is written in the chat area (leave it blank for nothing). The third entry is the name in your voicemenu ingame. The fourth entry means: play file I.wav, play, NEED.wav, and play BACKUP!.wav. The last entry is to make the bots understand you...

3. Play it ingame, and when you presses 'v',1,1, the computer sends the second entry to the chat, the fourth entry to the other computers (who have it enabled), and their computer is responsible for finding the files and play them, and the last entry is sent to any bots, if they exist.

Of course any multiple repeatings (of words or the whole sentence), or a word too long, would not be sent. Any normal chats would of course be sent, but not be read aloud...

Could had been cool, hey?
It also sounded like a Telephone Number recording.

"Sir, I HEARsome thing."

empty_other

Oct 19, 2004
Dark Pulse said:
It also sounded like a Telephone Number recording.

"Sir, I HEARsome thing."

It did NOT! :(

Okey, yes it did. Or not really. Not THAT bad...
And thats a bit of the challenge he...To make it sound good.